Tidal Wave

Harry

More the fool you for queuing it then. In the present queue line layout it cannot physically hold more than 90 minutes and this has been the case for a good few years now.

Some how I don't think 2002 is the present. Many factors could have been the deciding time he queued as well such as possible breakdown etc, he said he queued 3 hours not indicating anything that happened during the queue. Also where do you get your sources of 'info' from? Woop.

Plus in excessively hot days when Colossus was the only other major ride at the park, I think everyone would have been queuing for Tidal Wave/Loggers/Rapids...So yeah, just because a queue can hold a certain number, doesn't mean the ACTUAL queue will begin OUTSIDE the constructed queue... I saw that WAY too much in Germany...

More the fool you for queuing it then. In the present queue line layout it cannot physically hold more than 90 minutes and this has been the case for a good few years now.

Back before it got raped by fastrack, stealth and storm surge, Tidal Wave had a much longer queue then present. It's also perfectly understandably for Tidal Wave to have a three hour queue in 2002.

We had a very similar experience too with a very long queue during the 'hottest day of the year' in either 2002 or 2003. We can't remember how long the queue was but we would guess at over 2 hours. It was so hot that Thorpe Park had extra members of staff walking past the queue lines selling bottles of cold water and people were buying bottles to drink and some to pour over themselves to cool down whilst waiting for the ride. That day the queue could have done with some of those queue line misters that they love so much in the Orlando parks! But as was mentioned above this was back in the early days of the ride when there was still quite a lot of 'buzz' surrounding the ride and the effects we still entertaining even when you had been queuing for over an hour.

Some how I don't think 2002 is the present. Many factors could have been the deciding time he queued as well such as possible breakdown etc, he said he queued 3 hours not indicating anything that happened during the queue. Also where do you get your sources of 'info' from? Woop.

Two separate points denoted by the use of the full stop. More the fool for queuing it (accepting that the queue may have held more in the past). The present queue (talking about here and now) I'm not being funny but queuing in 20+ degrees of heat with no options to go to the toilet (oh but you can look at a flushing toilet in the queue line playing devils advocate) would mean for me the novelty of queue line effects would wear thin for the vast majority of guests at thorpe park (remembering that this forum is for enthusiasts and have a slightly more accepting view when it comes to queue times, shutdowns etc) and would not be an enjoyable experience.

(remembering that this forum is for enthusiasts and have a slightly more accepting view when it comes to queue times, shutdowns etc) and would not be an enjoyable experience.

Really?!I've found enthusiasts the most unlikely people to accept long queues and shutdowns. :)

Two separate points denoted by the use of the full stop. More the fool for queuing it (accepting that the queue may have held more in the past). The present queue (talking about here and now) I'm not being funny but queuing in 20+ degrees of heat with no options to go to the toilet (oh but you can look at a flushing toilet in the queue line playing devils advocate) would mean for me the novelty of queue line effects would wear thin for the vast majority of guests at thorpe park (remembering that this forum is for enthusiasts and have a slightly more accepting view when it comes to queue times, shutdowns etc) and would not be an enjoyable experience.

Yes would mean for you, in 2002 Sheepie wasn't that old therefore proberly enjoyed being immersed in the queueline like most people do. Take into account age as well considering that was 2002 and its 2011 that's going to be some age difference. Edited by Sheepie
Hostile behaviour towards other members is not acceptable. Please repect their opinions.

Really?!I've found enthusiasts the most unlikely people to accept long queues and shutdowns. :)

I disagree, enthusiasts and ap holders in general know that queuing is part of the parcel at theme parks and during peak times there will obviously be queues. Similarly there will also be times where rides will shutdown. Its when it gets to extreme that annoys everyone regardless, ie. a 3 hour queue is unreasonable and certainly not enjoyable. enthusiast or not. Also the majority of enthusiasts will be frequent visitors so if one ride is down one day it is not the end of the world. If a family has come a considerable distance for a day out to then find attractions that are down or with massive, massive queues. They are much more likely to voice these frustrations at staff

Enthusiasts will not bother with rides that have long queues or will begrudge them in certain circumstances...Why this has all stemmed from someone nearly 10 years ago queuing 3 hours for Tidal Wave though... So bloody what... Guess more fool everyone who's queued a stupid amount of time for things like Saw, Colossus, Air, Rita, etc...No-one likes to queue... But it's sommat that happens... Telling someone they are foolish to queue for sommat is silly...

I think it just depends on the individual. I know enthusiasts that won't queue more than 30 minutes for anything, yet I also know some that don't mind queueing anything within reason. The same for non-enthusiasts.I know my auntie and uncle felt the same with that Tidal queue- it felt as though the ride was just the climax of the experience and they were left feeling very impressed with the ride, they preferred it to Colossus.

It would be better if there was no sponsor atall and we could have the old effects back! But drench is a good idea. And one of my fave drinks! :P

I can totally understand the whole negativity towards sponsorships but I think if a balance is kept between ride and brand then it's okay. I mean, sponsorships give the park extra money to work with and to produce the experiences that the public but mostly enthusiasts demand; it takes alot of money so it's another source of income which must be very handy.I guess what I'm trying to say is If a ride can generate an income with a sponsor without making the ride feel like a giant piece of ad space then go ahead. Dr. Pepper on Tidal Wave I'd say is fine; some would say the brightly painted roof of the bridge is a little out there but let's face it, it'll be left to rust soon enough. Original Source on the hand was a little overboard.

I can totally understand the whole negativity towards sponsorships but I think if a balance is kept between ride and brand then it's okay. I mean, sponsorships give the park extra money to work with and to produce the experiences that the public but mostly enthusiasts demand; it takes alot of money so it's another source of income which must be very handy.I guess what I'm trying to say is If a ride can generate an income with a sponsor without making the ride feel like a giant piece of ad space then go ahead. Dr. Pepper on Tidal Wave I'd say is fine; some would say the brightly painted roof of the bridge is a little out there but let's face it, it'll be left to rust soon enough. Original Source on the hand was a little overboard.

I Didn't See Tidal When Original Source Sponsored It (what is original source?) But Yeah, I Agree, Doctor Peppers Awesome...

Original Source are a brand of shampoos, shower gels etc that sponsored Tidal Wave from 2006 to 2009. Original source is owned by PZ Cussons which also own the Imperial Leather brand (former sponsors of Bubbleworks at Chessington WOA and the Flume at Alton Towers). See website.Previous to this sponsorship the ride had been sponsor free for 6 seasons and many fans could not understand why it suddenly need one. The sponsor's logos and advertising slogans were pretty much plastered all over the area, ok that may be a bit of an exaggeration but it was some pretty heavy handed 'branding' I don't think it helped that the colours of the logos, signs and sponsored theming were so brightly coloured, new looking and not faded or weathered to fit in with the Amity theme. They would also have people walking around the outside of the ride handing out samples of the Original Source shower gels etc. But to give you an idea as to why Original Source would have been interested in sponsoring a ride like Tidal Wave here is one of their old TV ads that helps to show how they used to advertise their product as having an intense, refreshing hit to it:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=14898

I was personally quite pleased to see that the replacement Dr Pepper sponsoring was a lot more subtle. Edited by Phill Pritchard

Just putting it out there but I think it would be a wasted opportunity if the next sponsor for the ride wasn't Drench. :P

Oakwood theme park have recently completely re-named Hydro (the Intamin water chute ride similar to Tidal Wave) to Drenched, due to a sponsorship... I doubt Merlin would be allowed the Sponsor too if Oakwood already have it. At least Tidal Wave still has it's name though :D

Original Source are a brand of shampoos, shower gels etc that sponsored Tidal Wave from 2006 to 2009. Original source is owned by PZ Cussons which also own the Imperial Leather brand (former sponsors of Bubbleworks at Chessington WOA and the Flume at Alton Towers). See website.Previous to this sponsorship the ride had been sponsor free for 6 seasons and many fans could not understand why it suddenly need one. The. sponsor's logos and advertising slogans were pretty much plastered all over the area, ok that may be a bit of an exaggeration but it was some pretty heavy handed 'branding' I don't think it helped that the colours of the logos, signs and sponsored theming were so brightly coloured, new looking and not faded or weathered to fit in with the Amity theme. They would also have people walking around the outside of the ride handing out samples of the Original Source shower gels etc. But to give you an idea as to why Original Source would have been interested in sponsoring a ride like Tidal Wave here is one of their old TV ads that helps to show how they used to advertise their product as having an intense, refreshing hit to it:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=14898

I was personally quite pleased to see that the replacement Dr Pepper sponsoring was a lot more subtle.
Its handy having you on here.Your like a bloody information point :)