Air

Dan9

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to agree it doesn't fit, but I also agree no more abandoned themes. It would have been fantastic to see the Theme finished; but I can't see that happening anytime soon, especially as there's been no effort after ten years...The only time I could see AIR perhaps get some work done, is when/if they expand round the side of it to make a Hotel-connection path or place a new Coaster there as behind AIR was outlined as a potential site, wasn't it? But yeah, maybe when that day comes, AIR could become the start of a new area and theming would be finished. *keeps dreaming*

The idea behind Air's theme is quite good actually, and suits the ride pretty well as it is not along the lines of Nemesis, and it allows it to have it's own relative identity within the park...Unfortunately, the budget dying due to the ride system rather than anything being cut, meant that it didn't get brought out as well, hence the concrete tunnel of bright lights we have today...I like Air, seem to be one of the few enthusiasts at times that actually does... Though I never knew it could go even slower than normal until Sunday ;)

The idea behind Air's theme is quite good actually, and suits the ride pretty well as it is not along the lines of Nemesis, and it allows it to have it's own relative identity within the park...Unfortunately, the budget dying due to the ride system rather than anything being cut, meant that it didn't get brought out as well, hence the concrete tunnel of bright lights we have today...I like Air, seem to be one of the few enthusiasts at times that actually does... Though I never knew it could go even slower than normal until Sunday ;)

Thats what I meant when I said cut, sorry :PAnd I like AIR too, oh and it's nice to know I wasn't losing it thinking it was on a snails pace last Sunday! I find because of my size that when I go through the Lie-to-Fly it can give me a nice little pull, but last Sunday it was struggling through it. Was such a shame because AIR "is" a good ride if you allow it to be what it was designed for: a ride to stimulate flight.

I love Air, although to be fair it is the only flyer I have done. I just think it's a nice relaxing ride, and the lack of theming doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I do agree that it sticks out like a sore thumb! The only complaint I have is that the restraints like to try and scalp me o.O

Air was slow last week, but that's simply the cold weather.Air is very popular with general public at Alton Towers and goes to show that you don't need something aggressive to satisfy guests.It's a pity that the costs associated with the original development overran, thus leaving no money for certain thematic elements, such as support theming and water features.

Having ridden a couple of other fliers, Air is still my favourite; it's speed, pacing and intensity is spot on for that design.The likes of Tatsu might look all impressive but just don't feel right, like they are fighting against the limitations of putting you in 'the position', rather than using it to their advantage.Having said that, the tunnel and the tin shed roof are laughable really and I think fixing them would greatly improve the whole experience.

• 3 weeks later...