Air

Dan9

From the 'best B+M' thread....

5. Air

5, Air. Good ride but fundamentally flawed.

5. Air - Boring, always got a stupidly long queue and don't get much of a thrill out of it (Tend to avoid it)

5. Air - It's somewhat boring after riding it so many times (Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but it is in my opinion) and not really thrilling... Although the flying position is something cool and I look forward to trying other coasters which use that seating position.

5) Air- Pretty dull IMO. Nothing on Manta and the crazyness of 'flying' wares off after the concrete tunnel...

Just a sample, but it is pretty consistently down the bottom. Why does it get such a lack of love from the enthusiast community but is so consistently popular with the public? Are enthusiasts still that upset about the tunnel that we can't appreciate the solid ride going through it, or do you think the actual ride is not a very good one?

It certainly is strange, I agree. Enthusiasts certainly do seem to 'put it down' if you will, whereas the public absolutely love it. Perhaps it's down to the fact that flying coasters have developed for the good and later version have been much better, and enthusiasts 'appreciate' that much more. Isn't Air the only flying coaster in Europe as well? It might well be that it's quite unique to guests, and hence enjoy it much more? The gimmick of it as well is one guests still lap up today. Also, when you look at Oblivion for example, that;s still regarded as one of - if not, the - best dive machines there is. Had that ride type been bettered so much more, I believe that Oblivion would be in the same situation as Air is now.

I don't think Air consistently ranking as the least favourite B&M in the country is a testament to the ride and the enthusiasts' views on it. Though those comments see it as boring, it does what it's meant to do, and it does it well. It's just that what it's meant to do isn't that much... :P

I shall quote Liam's post from that poll here, as I thought it made an interesting point about Air's popularity in the coaster world vs the general public :)

Air is good for what Air is, its one of those "does exactly what it says" rollercoasters, but many enthusiast don't just want a flying rollercoaster, they want a story, theming and to be thrilling, which the other four do so well.

That's why Air is so low on many enthusiast list but always a hit with the general public, hence the large queues. :)

Air is always considered tamer, and a more family ride than anything. Families will happily go on air, whereas will poo themselves at going on Nemesis or Oblivion.

Air is a poor ride I think, it's bland and doesn't really... do much. Guests love it cos it builds you up to the next level I think..

When it's compared to the other B&Ms the poor thing is never going to be rated highly...

I think enthusiasts also dislike the tameness of the ride, yet to me (and a handful of others) the more intense versions such as Manta or Tatsu are just too much effort and hence not as good as Air...

All opinions in the end... But it's a popular ride regardless of what enthusiasts think, like a lot of rides around the world really...

Just to clarify my position. I think it's a good ride and definitely not boring. It's very different to the other flyers so deserves credit for being the truest form of flying rollercoaster (even if I do really really like Manta). But Air's problem comes from looking too scary for its target audience, its height restriction is too high for the people it's trying to attract to it and lets be honest, the ride does lack a certain something that makes it a really fantastic roller coaster. I don't think its the theme and the layout is fun for its length. But there's definitly not as much love showered on it compared to its older B&M brothers.

I notice pluk quoted me so I'll just explain why I voted it last against other B&M's in the UK. First off, I do enjoy riding Air because it does the job very well as a Flying coaster. But I am one of those enthusiasts that need a coaster to have a bit of intensity like Nemesis and Oblivion. I haven't ridden any other B&M flyers around the world so I can't compare Air but I think the public just enjoy the tameness of the ride. Really I'm just reiterating what others have already explained here. :)

Like every rollercoaster, Air has a gimmick. A very good one to be honest. It was the first of its kind, and a completely new experience to most people. The thing is though, eventually new roller coasters similar to Air were built and to us enthusiasts, who tend to know about most B&Ms, there is a simple question...

Would you rather this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

The dive machine model has not really advanced or expanded and despite taller, faster ones being built, Oblivion remains one of the best for the tension it builds up and the unique drop. Same with the inverts. Long story short, Air is old news compared to everything else, there is better out there and because Nemesis and Oblivion are so different in their own ways, they will always come out on top. The same principle applies for Nemesis Inferno. Look at it compared to Black Mamba, Montu and even Nemesis. I know which one I would pick... Only enthusiasts take this poll, and why would they put a mediocre flyer above a invert or Dive Machine that is widely regarded to be the best out there?

It depends on how you view how intensity affects a ride though, should someone believe that intensity makes a ride better then they will most likely adore the bigger flyers solely because of their pretzel loops (and in the case of Sky Scrapper/Ripper, the layout in general)...

Tatsu for me was awful because of the pretzel loop, way too intense but some will consider it amazing... Manta I'm sure is the same (but at least has an epic looking queue to back it up)...

I truly feel sorry for Air because it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets... On the whole it is a very good ride (if tempermental system wise) and provides a great experience to all guests who can go on it...

Exactly Benin. The big high g manoeuvres simply do not suit the flyer design, Air has it just about perfect. Fly to lie I find quite a powerful manoeuvre, the whole on your back section I find pleasingly intense, any more would be unpleasant. And this from someone who can't get enough of 6fmm's Goliath.

There is of course the much berated tunnel, but for me the lowlight is the tin roof flypast. Lack of theming aside though I think the ride is solid and deserves nearly none of its criticism. The concept itself seems to be one which enthusiasts don't much care for, which is a shame.

Like every rollercoaster, Air has a gimmick. A very good one to be honest. It was the first of its kind, and a completely new experience to most people. The thing is though, eventually new roller coasters similar to Air were built and to us enthusiasts, who tend to know about most B&Ms, there is a simple question...

Would you rather this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

Or this:

Posted Image

The dive machine model has not really advanced or expanded and despite taller, faster ones being built, Oblivion remains one of the best for the tension it builds up and the unique drop. Same with the inverts. Long story short, Air is old news compared to everything else, there is better out there and because Nemesis and Oblivion are so different in their own ways, they will always come out on top. The same principle applies for Nemesis Inferno. Look at it compared to Black Mamba, Montu and even Nemesis. I know which one I would pick... Only enthusiasts take this poll, and why would they put a mediocre flyer above a invert or Dive Machine that is widely regarded to be the best out there?

For some reason, I read your post and got very defensive over Air, very "hang on a minute". Whilst its near to the bottom of my B&M list, it's still better then 90% of the rides out there. Comparing to Nemesis and Oblivion doesn't work for me, two very different rides with completely different aspirations and goals. You can see that on park as ten years later, Air still holds the longest queues in the park while Nemesis just doesn't.

• 11 months later...

A whole 14 minutes :o And the 30 minute Dragon Falls breakdown reported by The Guardian! Great to see British journalism reporting on very pressing matters of news. Luckily, they haven't been told about any of The Smiler's breakdowns yet ;)

I'm guessing they broke down on the lift hill which wasn't upside down last time I checked. I also find that quite a comfy position as well, very relaxing.

What annoys me most is how the public moan about British rides being to short then the parks give them an extended ride and all they do is complain. Make up your mind!

• 1 month later...

I really want to ride Air even though I have heard mixed reviews of it (I really REALLY want to ride Manta.....sorry went off on a tangent). Only been to Towers once and it had a 60min queue so we didn't do it but hopefully I will get a chance in September. It does look quite comfy and I have only so far done 4 B&M coasters and want to ride them all which would be impossible as I am poor and have a fear of flying. Waffling now so will shut up!

The thing about people these days is that they are convinced that bigger is almost always better. Of course, this is not the case for a large percent of the time. Air may not be a gforce full coaster, but it sure is fun. It smooth and fairly unique, as it spends alot of time upside down. Manta and others are fairly pulling, and for some are less of a good experience. I prefer air because it wasnt made to pull you into your restraint, but to make you have fun, and have a unique experience. Its goal is original, and not to be

THE SUPER MAHOOSSIVE BESTIST RIDE WITH 5GS EVA LEL.

Thats why air is good. It aint rough or pulling, but is one hell of a fun time.