Legoland

NickD

Dragon shouldn't be going anywhere for quite a long time (I hope not anyway).

In terms of Legoland, the problems with developing the park aren't just the shortage of space to build on (there's probably more land but either they can't build on it or it will certainly be refused planning) and residential issues (like too many uk parks) but is the fact the park is full of many staple rides.

Dragon, Laser Raiders, Squid Surfer, Train, Falls, Fire Academy, Driving and Boating School are all park staples which are popular and found in every Lego park worldwide, meanwhile large rides such as Atlantis and Vikings which are slightly more unique to the park cost quite a fair sum of money and aren't likely to go anywhere soon either as they're both large robust structures.

Putting most of the park in account and what's actually worth while removing, the only rides I could really see of the current park closing (unless it's rethemed) is Digger Challenge as it's the only ride that can go with a hefty patch of land (not enough for a coaster though) but it could fit a other ride or attraction though.

I think it's safe to say Legoland Windsor is in development hell at the moment. Most of the residents seem to oppose the park, it gets much more congested than any of the other major parks and is surrounded by either housing or green belt. If a enclosed environment blended dark ride can't get the go ahead, I don't know what can (except playgrounds and rethemes).

Rumours have it the Castaway Camp playground new for this year was almost rejected and that's bit even a ride. Shows how bad the park situation is currently and it's clearly worse than Chessington's situation ATM (who wih their recent creativity seem to be shining).

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone's already noticed this, but Legoland have recently launched some sort of 'scavenger hunt' in promotion for The LEGO Movie! For example:

IMG_20141003_1452179621_zpsbf5b182f.jpg

This was in Duplo Valley - and as I unfortunately only had time to capture the one:

• Emmet - located in The Beginning
  • Wyldstyle - located outside the hotel, near Atlantis Submarine Voyage
  • Vitruvius - located in Knights Kingdom

So yeah a little bit of promotional fun Legoland have just brought in! :lol:

Think this may have been here a while (maybe since the summer) as I recall seeing some Lego movie treasure hunting bits when I last visited the park this September. Still think it's a great touch to the park using elements from the movie as kids probably love the film (probably second to only Frosen).

Would love to see a Lego movie themed attraction/Walkthrough as it would be such a fun interactive addition and be a hit with visitors. If residents refuse this then it's time to release the Kragle!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just come back from attending the Legoland Christmas event, despite the only 13/14 attractions being open and the. User able weather (to begin with), had a really good day out and probably my favourite visit this year by far.

Very quiet there and there were no queues in any shape or form as I managed to get on everything pretty much after I entered the queue and had a much more relaxed and laid back compared to the usual rush around the park on a normal day.

Park at night was absolutely fantastic and aside from some good night rides, there was loads of beutiful park lighting added, especially around the castle which looked really good.

Will do a full trip report on this shortly.

• 1 month later...

Unless they can find a major way of sorting out the traffic problems (which based on space and the heavy forested yet built up area) will be extremely difficult to manage, Legoland's days of expanding (such as 2005-2012) have come to an end. I think 80% of future additions at Legoland will only be ride rethemes, new shows, meet and greets and playground equipment.

If the park can't get an enclosed dark ride approved, what hope do they have of adding anything else (except the above)? Rumour has it even the Castaway Camp (which opened last year) was originally refused.

the physical and noise from the dark ride or any other additions probably wouldn't affect it, it's the scale on which it will draw in guests which the council and residents don't want...

I'm dreading it for us just sitting here and watching what will probably be the demise of legoland, while paultons park etc. are getting stronger and stronger!

Thing is though, the council say no to the new rides so Legoland just retheme areas and market them massively like Pirate Shores and stuff. They haven't had any new ride hardware since Atlanyis in 2011 yet they're still going strong because of the huge draw Lego has. Saying no to a new ride won't stop Legoland from growing their gate figure.

the physical and noise from the dark ride or any other additions probably wouldn't affect it, it's the scale on which it will draw in guests which the council and residents don't want...

I'm dreading it for us just sitting here and watching what will probably be the demise of legoland, while paultons park etc. are getting stronger and stronger!

Competition is a good thing Dean. Paultons is already a far superior park to Legoland anyway.

Unless the locals change their viewpoint on the park (which is of course, affected by the traffic issues, which is something not entirely in Merlin's control), then the stagnation will continue...

Of course, if this paves the way for parks like Paultons to catch up and provide a better experience (which based on Trip Advisor, it's already doing so), then it can be considered a positive...

A Disko coaster at a Legoland is strange anyway, a 1.2m ride in a kids park? And one at Windsor would be even more unlikely given Kobra down the motorway...

Please get rid of Digger Challenge.

noooo... I loved digger challenge, only went on it for the first and only time last year!!

Digger Challenge is going next year to make way for the Lego Friends (City retheme) area which will be replaced by a new show (I believe). The Pirate show is staying but the stage area will receive some TLC this year (I've heard).

I think the park still want to get the Haunted House ride built but will just have to wait longer for it (maybe 2017 ish).

I think it's certain Paultons has overtaken Legoland now (Id argue this happened perhaps as early as 2009). Which has three coasters (a fourth on the way), disko coaster, peppa pig land and a drop tower vs 2 coaster, numerous water rides snd 2 dark rides.