Legoland

NickD

Following the disapointing news of the refusal of the park's Haunted House attraction last August, the park have decided to make an appeal over the planning. http://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/News/Areas/Windsor/Appeal-launched-over-new-haunted-house-at-Legoland-02042015.htm

Although I'm dying (pun not intended) for this new ride to open, I'm still slightly doubtful of its approval following the park's traffic problems.

I went to the patk yesterday on a three quarter day and it took me 30 minutes to get from the car park to the other end of Winkfield road when I left an hour after park close.

Good luck to them!

I don't know the area, are the congestion problems surmountable?

From what I saw yesterday, the answer to that question is probably no.

Firstly There was still the very long congested queue out of the park to the end of Winkfield road and this was an hour after park close.

Secondly, I've looked around the road to see if they could potentially widen it. Whilst they could make the road two lanes towards the Legoland end of Winkfield road, the rest near the houses doesn't look possible due to the close proximity of houses there.

Two additional things to note are that on the Legolañd exit road from the park, the direction board now says the M4, M3,M25 etc. Are on the right whilst the left one now just says local traffic which despite this attempt diversion, still doesn't seem to be working so well.

Also, there was a (Texaco) petrol station on the other end of the road (on the M4 side) which appears to have closed down and become a car dealer. Maybe this is to potentially reduce traffic on that road or just a coincidence.

Seeing as the park haven't opened this year's main addition yet (Heartlake City), unless you count the rethemed driving & boating school rides, they may have a chance seeing as this shows the patk is busy and popular regardless of new additions.

Hmm, they'll have a hard time convincing the planners that they are spending millions on something which will attract no extra visitors, or at least maintain current levels which they already find unacceptable,

I imagine that they'll include some other type of concession to reduce or manage traffic, no idea what that'd be though? Can't see it being a success otherwise.

Any reason you're staring at Chessington in particular?

Because in my opinion, they just seem to let their scenery rot away like no one ever takes notice in it anyway (especially themeing on old rides). For instance, they postpone the Dragon Falls revamp almost immediately after the backdrop for the main drop was demolished and they hardly took any notice in Tomb Blaster last year (hence the targets before the fire pit scene not working, as well as a majority of the guns and effects - also a heads up to the amount of moss building up on a few of the sets).

Those were only a few issues, as I'm really trying my best to go easy on Chessie and not go off on one.

Not like miniland looks crap in several places...

Mark is right, meeting the standards of the Lego brand allows the place to reinvest in infrastructure and tarting up...

Though of course, said infrastructure results in hour long queues for everything because of dire throughputs, so that's a consideration...

Sorry to change the subject.

As a LEGOLAND employee, I've only just noticed something soundtrack-wise. I noticed a few rides pretty much use the melody to the old Dragon theme tune for their own. This includes Driving School (also the music for LEGO City) and Vikings River Splash (that being the crying woman stood above the station - I heard her singing the melody after park closing while it was very quiet).

Sorry to change the subject.

As a LEGOLAND employee, I've only just noticed something soundtrack-wise. I noticed a few rides pretty much use the melody to the old Dragon theme tune for their own. This includes Driving School (also the music for LEGO City) and Vikings River Splash (that being the crying woman stood above the station - I heard her singing the melody after park closing while it was very quiet).

Quite observed, a few other things to mention of Legoland music.

1/ the fact music that appears in Laser Raiders used to be heard in the now removed Magic Theatre (where Xbox originally was).

2/ The second souñdtrack in Kingdom of the Pharoas features an excerpt of the old Egyptian tomb loop from the also removed Explorers Institute from Lego City (the ladies toilets near the harbour show were the attraction's exit).

3/ the music in old lego City and the 3rd souñdtrack on the castle area music are from the game Lego Island.

Back to the traffic problem on Winkfield Road, a large part of the problem isn't Winkfield Road itself, it's actually the A332, which leads to junction 6 of the M4.

I have, at times, sat in 45 minutes traffic on this section of the road just waiting to just get on to the M4.  And this road is a dual carriageway!

So, whilst Winkfield Road can be a problem to manoeuvre down at busy times, it is actually further up the road that is equally as bad, and I can't see them solving that problem in a hurry, unless they get permission to build a road to Oakley Green (which will NEVER happen) from the rear of the park!

I always leave LEGOLAND a good 90 minutes before closing for this very reason sadly!

Locals moan about traffic, legoland offers a solution so a new group moans. They tried changing the traffic light priority so it favoured the park which improved traffic flow but it meant the locals journey was slightly longer. So of course they all moaned about that. ThEy could offer to build a new road but I'm sure the same thing will occur of "you have ruined the country side". The locals have a right to complain by all means but they need to remember the jobs it offers and the money it brings in.

Really random question - But managed to get really cheap tickets to go next Tuesday, will it be busy or relatively quiet?
I haven't been since I was very small, and so thought it'd be nice to visit, see what it's like. I know it's aimed at Kids, but who says you can't spend a nice day strolling round a theme park? :P

Really random question - But managed to get really cheap tickets to go next Tuesday, will it be busy or relatively quiet?

I haven't been since I was very small, and so thought it'd be nice to visit, see what it's like. I know it's aimed at Kids, but who says you can't spend a nice day strolling round a theme park? :P

Since the Easter holidays are over, it should be relatively quiet. I've gone during school days in the past and I've even been able to deride without even leaving the ride platform.

Just make sure you get boating school done first as that always get very busy even during the first hour of quiet days.

Finally, have you checked the opening times on the park website? Whilst it's probably going to be ok. Just be aware the park is closed selected Tuesday's and Wednesdays usually during March,April, May, September & October.

Since the Easter holidays are over, it should be relatively quiet. I've gone during school days in the past and I've even been able to deride without even leaving the ride platform.

Just make sure you get boating school done first as that always get very busy even during the first hour of quiet days.

Finally, have you checked the opening times on the park website? Whilst it's probably going to be ok. Just be aware the park is closed selected Tuesday's and Wednesdays usually during March,April, May, September & October.

Ahhh ok. That's great to hear. I've looked at the opening hours, and it seems that it's open from 10-5. I can imagine as well that if this weather keeps up, that the Boating School will be quite busy.

Thanks for the replies though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed they haven't had to get planning permission for this (and if they have where has it been hiding?)

DSCN1157_copyright.jpg

Legoland is getting something remotely thrilling :o

DSCN1168_copyright.jpg

Hope the people in that farm/house/ building like their new view!

DSCN1169_copyright.jpg

It's taller than the trees! They'll just put a lid over it probably in a few years.

DSCN1160_copyright.jpg

Oh, and why get the train involved in all this? I loved that thing, but now it's turning pink slowly... hope it is still essentially a water ride!

So yay, Legoland is getting something decent and are keeping it quiet from the media. Odd. (Image credit to Guide Park Theme in case you couldn't tell :) )

My guess is that they've been allowed to install the new ride, but part of the agreement was to not advertise it because of the traffic issue?

There's no plans for the ride on the council's website though (well, as far as anybody can see at least!), which is unusual.  I assume Legoland are under similar restrictions to Thorpe and Chessington in that they have to submit details of big things like this.

Even if they don't advertise it, it seems odd for them to just install a ride without plans for it going online; especially with the frosty reception they have with local residents!