Thorpe Park's Old Days

Frankie

What hasnt improved?Lets look at this year compared to last...Tidal wave has been given a much needed spur of life, boats have been refurbished, new seats, restraints, the splash pool has been totally repainted and all the rust blasted off the splash pool area.Colossus pit has been fixed up from the sorry mess it was and now looks great.Unreliable rides such as Stealth, Rush, Slammer and Detonator have had extensive work and are now overall pretty reliable.Nemesis inferno effects have been and are being worked on, the lava bark chippings have been replaced.Rumba rapids has had a lot of work, new effects, fixed effects etcPark music has been worked on, fixed and improved in places too.Park map has been totally redesigned and is free again.. Any more?

Ok, it's great ride reliability is better. Really. But honestly, just because they fixed the Colossus pool, doesn't mean the rest of the park magically looks good. Because it really doesn't. Thorpe are selling a product, and if the product isn't desirable, or up to standards, people are gonna get the hump. My points about the park being messy stand, litter, gum, dodjy fences, peices of wood, hazard tape, all just laying around. It looks BAD.And Rumba Rapid, effects such as waterfall, by tunnel and station wern't working. Music cuts out. Quiet and non existent in some areas. Park Map has no effect on the enjoyment of my day, so doesn't count. And the 'pikeys' don't need to do anything direct to me to make my day unenjoyable. Watching it is unpleasant enough, then being pushed back when they push people, is also unpleasant.

About the gate figure stuff you lot were commenting on. In 1990 Thorpe Park got 1 million people through its gate. That was back when its star attractions were Loggers Leap and Space Station Zero/Flying Fish (no idea which). So really in 15 years its gone up by 0.8 million. When you consider the sheer amount of money being thrown at it (and rides) its not doing *THAT* well in context.

Marc - there is so much more to wether or not a Business is being successful than, in the case of a theme park, its gate figure. If anything a park's footfall is a measure of how effective advertising is that year, what you don't know is the proportion of people who are return guests, or the proportion that are leaving pissed off.Also with regard to effects and things, they should be working as standard. Rides should all be reliable, standard. That shouldn't be some great achievement because it should all be working anyway, they are core expectations of guests. Lets use an analogy. Say I go into McDonalds and order a Cheeseburger, I expect it to have a bun, meat, cheese, gherkin, onion (or whatever the little square crunchy bits are, I forget!). Anyway, that's what you expect not if I got a £50 note in my burger (or more realisticly, free fries or something), then that would be going over and above what you expect, adding value to the product and vastly improving the consumer's perception of it.As for security and 'pikeys', I rarely many at Chessington, even when working on Rattlesnake which seems to be a bit of a magnet for them. Even then, they are generally well behaved and far outnumbered by family groups. I think wether you're willing to admit it or not, you know that the fact Thorpe conduct random stop and search on entry to the park, that they get extra support from local police forces at Haloween, says a lot about the place.Thorpe have also chose to appeal to a niche market with their product portfolio (the rides dear :angry:), which may be a successful strategy in the short term, but long term I don't think they'll be able to maintain increasing visitor numbers each year. This is one of the main reason Thorpe will never overtake Alton Towers as the premier theme park in this country. Alton is an experiance, they have a wide variety of rides, shows, beautiful gardens and buildings, it feels like you're off on an adventure somewhere. It's the whole package, and it appeals to all the family. There are rides everyone can go on, there are rides that only the younger generations will like, so mum and dad can go potter round the gardens while they wait. That said they still appeal to groups of teens who visit for the big rides, Alton has broad appeal.I don't think I've structured this very well but hey who cares, I can't be arsed to read through it, especially as I expect very few people will read it all anyway. Plus I just can't be arsed, I know I'm right. :angry:

I agree hands down with Alex, you pretty much covered everything I was trying to say. And they may be building a new coaster, but doesn't mean its ok to have crappy fences and wood scattered a hundred yards away from the actual construction site. I'm going to use this Cheeseburger analogy we got going, it's like me having a cheeseburger, but there is a huge blank of wood and nails in it. Yeah. Now that's some Yummy Theme Park things. Mmm.

I dunno how much people can defend it - thorpe is successful. yes. thorpe is improving. maybe. however thorpe is about as magical as my sphincter and is why its now just a place people go. Thats why is successful. Good train coverage, huge parking space (almost as big at the park). People go there, chavs go there, for somthing to do. Thats all thorpe is now. Alton Towers is an experience. Phantasialand is magical. Thorpe, unless there is a MAJOR theming and ride investment will never ever match up to those standards. Its not about side - phantasialand is about the same size as thorpe; yet thats got two hotels and attracts family and visitors from all over europe.

Unreliable rides such as Stealth, Rush, Slammer and Detonator have had extensive work and are now overall pretty reliable.

Judging by the last couple of weeks clearly not.

Tidal wave has been given a much needed spur of life, boats have been refurbished, new seats, restraints, the splash pool has been totally repainted and all the rust blasted off the splash pool area.

Tidal Waves life died long ago, personally I dont consider SPLASSSSHHHZONNEbrap to be such a 1950's look. 'You want some zesty lemon with your wave?' ur no ta. Thorpe has many many faults. Its scraping the barrel of being labeled a THEME park. If we hadn't lost the standards the attractions used to have. The chavs will have hard to avoid - especially being within the london zone. But by introducing a more family atmosphere maybe it will get reduced. Thorpe has gone down hilll to the point where they dont just not add magic, its been drained out of stuff that has. Ive lost the plot with this. but you get my point. which is compare thorpe and phantasialand and there you go.

Thorpe have never proclaimed to be this amazing magical park though has it?And I agree alex, things like effects, reliablity should be good by defult but merlin have a huge monopoly over the uks theme parks meaning really they cant lose out at the moment.

With regards to numbers through the gate in 1990 and now. It may of only risen by 0.8 million but what was the entrance fee in 1990 compared to what it is now? (I doubt it was £32) You can look at it two ways £32 may seem pricey but that is unlimited rides all day, and lets face it on some of the best rides you can find. Compared to what £32 would buy you at a travelling fair, sometimes a top scan (Samurai) can be £4 to £5 each for a short ride and the boosters around £10 so it is good value really. Its just the same as everything in this country its getting more expensive, with the minimum wage rising, fuel, insurance, electricity etc going up I dont think Thorpe Park have increased their gate charge for a couple of years either.Look at Blackpool, They are about the introduce an entrance fee for the first time.In the past they have been the most popular in terms of visitors through the gates but how many of them spend money on the rides? or just give a couple of quid for one or two rides? Once the fee is introduced I think that entrance figures will decrease quite a bit but everyone who is in the park would of payed to be there. The same with Thorpe, a great deal of those 1.8 million ppl have probably payed upto £32 to be there so numbers through the gate is not everything.

Price is all relative though. Back in 1990 the pound would be worth less then it is now for instance. I remember Chessington was £17 in 1998 and can remember my parents complaining about the price. Now its £31 going up by approximately £1.20 a year. "The same with Thorpe, a great deal of those 1.8 million ppl have probably payed upto £32 to be there so numbers through the gate is not everything."A small deal of those people would have actually paid £32 quid to get in. You've got annual pass holders, free tickets, BOGOF vouchers, Family tickets and the on-line price. Numbers through the gate is very respresentative of what people think of the park. 1 million with very few rides in 1990 is a lot when you compare the park with one that has a lot of rides and only a 0.8 million increase over 18 years. Luckily for Thorpe Stealth is a real money machine." Compared to what £32 would buy you at a travelling fair, sometimes a top scan (Samurai) can be £4 to £5 each for a short ride and the boosters around £10 so it is good value really."Good point there. Fairs are awful for quality (depending on where you go of course). Although I'd disagree on some of the best rides you can find. Samurai and Quantum are seriously lacking compared to its funfair counterparts.

I think the price is a bit hefty but I would rather pay an entry fee and then get the unlimited rides.My dad took my cousins to thorpe when they were about 9/10 (bearing in mind they are now in their thirties) and the entry fee was something like £3, but you ha to pay for all the rides too.If you went on a lot of rides you would end up paying near enough the entry fee that thorpe is charging today.I think its worth it, but could come down a little.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the price is a bit hefty but I would rather pay an entry fee and then get the unlimited rides.My dad took my cousins to thorpe when they were about 9/10 (bearing in mind they are now in their thirties) and the entry fee was something like £3, but you ha to pay for all the rides too.If you went on a lot of rides you would end up paying near enough the entry fee that thorpe is charging today.I think its worth it, but could come down a little.

ill say 1 thing ANNULL PASS :):P:P:P:P ive been there 21 times this year and ive worked out that it would off cost me about £600 if I did not have the pass and even if u dont live anywhere close to thorpe use it at alton ,

• 2 months later...

back in the day haha, I'm only 14, been going all my life so I vaguely remember some of that before they were taken over by tuassords, I remember the viking rowing boats where tidal wave is now, I was with my mum and brother, my brother claimed he could row, we got stuck in the middle and needed a tow back in haha, I was like 5 or 6 back then.

• 5 months later...

I miss old Thorpe, before the days of massive rollercoasters looming above us now and annoying deliquents. It was incredibly peaceful and just a big fun day out with the family. Does anybody remember the excitement of Tidal Wave when it was opened? :) The thrill of getting constantly wet!

I miss old Thorpe, before the days of massive rollercoasters looming above us now and annoying deliquents. It was incredibly peaceful and just a big fun day out with the family. Does anybody remember the excitement of Tidal Wave when it was opened? :) The thrill of getting constantly wet!

I have a question, what was there before Tidal Wave?. I'm sure the fire was something to do with it, but I am not sure if they built that as a substitute ride or they planned it anyway. I'm also sure Detinator replaced Wicked Witche's Haunt

• 2 months later...

I was browsing thorough you tube and here is a really old advert showing...Flying Fish (the good one! :) )Mr Monkeys Banana RideRumba Rapids (when was Thunder River)Loggers LeapHere is the link to the old advert

First 20 seconds is the old THORPE PARK advert. Rest is an old advert for Chessington & Zoo and Alton Towers.It is actually really good but nothing towards' THORPE PARK's target group now! :) (I think also there is the Wicked Witche's Haunt and some raft ride which I think was called Magic Mill).