Vortex

Lewie900

I've noticed that this year in particular, Vortex has been extremely juddery; so much so, it makes me feel queasy.

I guess age could be starting to show on it a bit; hopefully we'll see a bit more TLC given to it this closed season than it normal gets though.

Yes... OUCH! We had a really long ride after a 45 min queue in the summer which was fantastic except for at the start when it was building up to the top, it juddered around a lot and was quite painful however when we got to the full swings it had stopped(luckily!) and we had a fantastic ride. Despite the juddering, it was my best ever ride on vortex.

The issue I find with vortex apart from its age is the fact that it takes so long to load and start up. This is what makes the queue times so long. This is similar to a couple of the other flat rides(samurai, and you could say rush and slammer). I think it needs to be replaced sometime soon with a new 'spin and swing' type ride. However if william wilsons Super Bowl has been going for 20 years, I can't see why vortex can't aswell. However, I think samurai and vortex have had most of their days and are ready to be replaced. The cycles on them just aren't thrilling enough for the 'extreme thrill' they are! I hope we can see samurai being replaced by a new mondial Topscan and hopefully vortex being replaced by a new KMG afterburner(maybe one which goes all the way over ;)). I'm not sure this is going to happen though however it is clear thorpe are trying their best to make the ride experience better. When vortex and samurai etc. do reach the end of their days I'm not sure what will be replacing them, only time will tell!

In my opinion the smaller model of the KMG Afterburner is much better. Whilst it has less seats, the quick start up time would probably improve throughput when compared to Vortex.

It is also a much better ride, as the seats spin in such a way that you get all angles rather than just one once the ride is at full height.

If Vortex gets replaced then they should look at getting one of the smaller models in.

Also if they get a new one, they should get new restraints, preferably lab bars.

I'm begging for no lap bars. They are by far the most uncomfortable thing I have ever seen. I have never had the chance to ride with lap bars as the new afterburner model is not in the UK yet(they might be on a freak out actually!). They look really painful. People have commented on them and have said that they are very uncomfortable and the ride experience feels very unsafe. I doubt that would get thorpe a good reputation.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=522808071140955&set=a.368220189933078.90113.355142571240840&type=1&theater

I've never had a chance to ride a ride like it with a lab bar, but the ones they have on vortex now are really not comfy

it's rather amusing watching everyones faces when the restraints come down - and the reality hit's when you realize how much it's crushing you yourself - it wasn't too bad, but the last 2 visits the ride ops were pushing everyone's restraints right down as well - major crush!

Vortex to me doesn't need to be replaced with anything. Whilst it is 12 years old and starting to show it's age a bit, it's still a ride that is fun to go on (if you get to the top) and is one of the more "gentle" rides Thorpe has to offer. If Thorpe are aiming at families more in the future, despite the height restriction, Vortex along with Rush would be good rides to aim them towards. They're not too intense, just fun to ride.

Although, Vortex could do with some TLC as some of the finer details around the ride are deteriorating (such as torn patterns on the back of the seats, worn seats and restraints with the blue tape on them and some more broken speakers in the queueline). Plus, Vortex has recently had a row of 4 seat restraints replaced with the older pink coloured ones. I'm sure these are temporary and will be painted to match the rest at the beginning of the next season, but it just looks a little odd. Also, I hope Thorpe will fix the stutter when it begins to swing too.

Quick q for you guys - I queued up for this a few weeks ago then ran off - I want to try all of Thorpes flat rides (except Slammer which is ill at the mo anyway). It took me ages to get on Mr Monkeys banana ride this year because it made me feel ill years ago (I don't like pirate rides). However after being forced onto Samurai I LOVED it and it didn't make me feel nauseous (I take amazing anti-sickness tablets). I only on my last visit did Rush and wish I hadn't avoided it for so long. I don't think I could do Zodiac after seeing my sister come off of it green but would love to try Vortex - so yeah, in a nutshell - does it feel like a pirate ship and does it spin like mental - it is hard to tell by just watching. When I was watching Samurai before my first go it looks a lot less tame that it actually is (although I know that Samurai is pretty tame anyway but I am a bit wussy!)

It feels more like rush then anything, to me. I don't get the pirate ship feeling because you're not always going straight up and down, sometimes the forces dont work like that when you're falling sideways.

Its really fun and as people have said its actually got more gentle recently, the only bad thing about it is the way the restraints slap down on your thighs. I always seem to get a numb right leg when I go on it XD

Haha. Don't worry about it!

Vortex has smooth transitions, its not suddenly up and then smacking back down, it really does feel like your weightless. I must admit the spinning gets a bit tedious towards the end and a bit sickly but it makes a fun ride and is tame compared to the likes of slammer and zodiac (in my eyes)