Vortex

Lewie900

I rode this for the first time today. I can't believe it had taken me almost 11 whole seasons to get around to it, but to be honest a lot of Thorpe Park's thrill flat rides have never appealed to me. The lowering station floor and the rapid action automatic restraints were certainly a surprise but once the ride started I actually enjoyed it, even watching it before riding I thought that I wouldn't like the spinning motion, but it doesn't really spin as much or as fast as I thought it would. What on Earth was I worried about for all these years? lol :(

• 1 month later...

No idea, but I thought the same the other day when riding it. The cycle seemed much shorter and I found it quite dissappointing after having to queue quite a while due to the slow loading due to staff chatting between rides. (literally left sat in the seat for more than 2 minutes waiting for them to finish chatting every cycle I queued).

• 6 months later...

Agreed, its a perfect ride to get yourself in the mood for the bigger rides. I also enjoy this ride just after lunch, prepares the stomach for the bigger ones :D

Also, I hate the re straights on this ride, I get super anxious when they ask you to put your arms up and head back, worried its gonna bash my head then lock there :) - wish they would just put a normal style re straight there

• 3 weeks later...

I think the restraints on Vortex are quite cool; quite funny seeing the nervous riders almost jumping when the restraints suddenly come down. They've always restedly quite nicely for me, never pinned me nor left me with an uncomfortable amount of room. It almost adds to the tense atmosphere, everyone looking in on each other waiting for the ride to start.

Only gripe for me really is the floor, if that floor moved a little quicker then surely it would either increase throughput a little or better yet, more time on the ride could be spent actually in cycle as opposed to waiting for the ride floor to raise or lower.

• 4 months later...

KMG have joined Facebook recently, and have posted a lot of very cool & some possibly unseen before photo's of their rides, including a few of Vortex and other park model Afterburners, here's some of Vortex in it's early days at Thorpe Park and also a photo of it testing outside their factory in the Netherlands. Just thought I'd share them here! :)

They say that "Production & Assembly" pictures are going to be added to their page at some point too, there may well be some of Vortex in there too!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photo's of other rides on their new Facebook page here. https://www.facebook.com/pages/KMG-Europe-BV/355142571240840

I have never really had a problem with the restraints. They do freak me a bit out when they are dropped but so long as I am ready for them, they don't bother me much.

Wow. I love how open it was back then. I always imagined trees had always surrounded it like they do now. Also funny seeing the ride at the factory.

Great find!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the days Vortex had music... MUSIC!

And the motor run dropping floor <3

Also, when did the restraints become so violent? I felt like I was gonna end up beheaded...

I loved the old music... Now lost city's rides just play pop music and also I didn't notice anything different in the restraints. I think they are always just slamming down! I got used to it I rode vortex 8 times in one day once :P

On Friday the rotation speed seemed such that everyone was getting a go at a top-swing. The ride also seemed to go on for longer than I remember! And when did it develop that weird judder?

I know it's weird the cycles are getting longer but the rotation is the same but it gets faster as it goes along making everyone get a topspin freaky :P