Vortex

Lewie900

Had an amazing cycle today! The queue was the longest in the park at the points due to the amount of time it took to load and unload but the cycle was the longest I've ever known it, it shook a bit on the first swing but after that it was smoothly applying a heck of a lot of power! Hit the max height pretty quickly and kept staying high for a very long time! Whatever they've done to it IT IS AMAZING! One of the best rides today!

I'll agree with that, long cycle today, but less on Rush?

Yeah, Rush seems to have been on super short cycles... dunno if that's just me but I guess this is a discussion for another topic xD As for Vortex: went down to the park again on Wednesday and it's still going strong- had a super long queue too =O

• 2 weeks later...

The issue with Vortex seems to be the amount of people / weight, as I seen it running first thing really high, we went on it a bit later and had almost every seat filled, it juddered quite bad and took ages to get higher and got to just over 90degrees, don't get me wrong it was a long cycle so was okay... Went on it almost straight after and had a half full ride and even though it juddered initially we were up above 90degrees in no time and had a really long ride!

Had 3 rides on it on Sunday, all at different times of the day, pretty much all of the seats full on all of them and was really impressed with all of them. The ride has much improved from AP where the ride was awful, where the first couple of swings Jolted and you could tell it was struggling. The ride hardly reached 90 degrees and you only got a couple of high swings. Today was great, getting to higher swings very quickly meaning that you got a lot of them, and the jolted had completely gone. It’s very annoying that the same seats get to the higher point every time, meaning you either get a really good ride or a disappointing one I guess.

The operator in the morning was quite funny, singing on the mic etc and just keeping everyone entertained.

Had 3 rides on it on Sunday, all at different times of the day, pretty much all of the seats full on all of them and was really impressed with all of them. The ride has much improved from AP where the ride was awful, where the first couple of swings Jolted and you could tell it was struggling. The ride hardly reached 90 degrees and you only got a couple of high swings. Today was great, getting to higher swings very quickly meaning that you got a lot of them, and the jolted had completely gone. It’s very annoying that the same seats get to the higher point every time, meaning you either get a really good ride or a disappointing one I guess.

The operator in the morning was quite funny, singing on the mic etc and just keeping everyone entertained.

I agree with this as I kept getting the bottom swings meaning the ride was relatively boring. Last year at fright nights my friend and I were the only two people on it and we had a very long cycle in the dark with a vary of different heights! I hope they can use the fright nights cycle!

I agree with this as I kept getting the bottom swings meaning the ride was relatively boring. Last year at fright nights my friend and I were the only two people on it and we had a very long cycle in the dark with a vary of different heights! I hope they can use the fright nights cycle!

I have always been at the same place every swing, either at the bottom or the top to be honest. Vortex is always on the same cycle, so maybe with less weight on it just spins more.

• 2 weeks later...

Had two unbelievably amazing rides on Vortex today, the first juddered and took a littler longer, but both were up and over 90degrees in no time at all, and where we were sat both times have us such a great ride with us being at the top for the majority of it!!! :D

That's my main problem with it though... The people at the bottom are bored completely. Getting the underside it just too boring. The cycles definately need improving to give a range of heights.

Had two unbelievably amazing rides on Vortex today, the first juddered and took a littler longer, but both were up and over 90degrees in no time at all, and where we were sat both times have us such a great ride with us being at the top for the majority of it!!! :D

I had a great couple of rides last month, no juddering and go up and above 90 degrees very quickly, it was also a longer cycle :) Saw a video about a week ago it looked like it was getting bad again, so it's good to hear it's still running well :D

About the ride experience not being the same every time, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it depends how much the operator spins it at the beginning, before they make it start actually spinning. While I was in the que, the operator was making it spin for a lot longer before it started spinning, and it looked like it was spinning pretty quick. Once I rode it, the operator had changed and he pretty much made it start swinging straight away, and we were at the top every time?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I've never picked up any sort of judder in all the times I've been on vortex? It did jerk like once as it was slowing when I went during FN, but that was when it was on such a horrendous cycle, so I just assumed it was due to that. It seems to be a bit of an ongoing problem.

And yes, the laws of physdics would suggest that the cycle would appear to be longer, as the actual swings in themselves would be longer. So even if every cycle was, say, 9 swings, if they only reached about 80 degrees, it would be over much quicker as a- it wouldn't take as long to slow down, and b- you'd probably spend like 2-4 seconds less on each swing than if it hit 80 on it's first swing, and then continued with getting 100 degree swings; which would in turn take longer to slow down etc. Although, if the first initial swing was to reach a rather high angle, then there'd be more swings after a a result of the force from that swing, but I'm guessing the operators can manually control when it slows and the rate at which it does so to a certain extent(?) I could honestly talk about the physics behind it all day but I guess I should stop before you all fall asleep :P

I've never picked up any sort of judder in all the times I've been on vortex? It did jerk like once as it was slowing when I went during FN, but that was when it was on such a horrendous cycle, so I just assumed it was due to that. It seems to be a bit of an ongoing problem.

And yes, the laws of physdics would suggest that the cycle would appear to be longer, as the actual swings in themselves would be longer. So even if every cycle was, say, 9 swings, if they only reached about 80 degrees, it would be over much quicker as a- it wouldn't take as long to slow down, and b- you'd probably spend like 2-4 seconds less on each swing than if it hit 80 on it's first swing, and then continued with getting 100 degree swings; which would in turn take longer to slow down etc. Although, if the first initial swing was to reach a rather high angle, then there'd be more swings after a a result of the force from that swing, but I'm guessing the operators can manually control when it slows and the rate at which it does so to a certain extent(?) I could honestly talk about the physics behind it all day but I guess I should stop before you all fall asleep :P

I don't think operators have any control on the cycle of Vortex at all, seeing as a current operator at Thorpe Park either posted on here, or in the chat that on Vortex they just click one button and the computer does the rest :)

I don't think operators have any control on the cycle of Vortex at all, seeing as a current operator at Thorpe Park either posted on here, or in the chat that on Vortex they just click one button and the computer does the rest :)

Yes correct we lock the bars turn the key and start to lower the floor then it starts to rotate then when the min rotation speed is hit a light goes on that enables us to press start again and it will swing after that it's all computer ran but what other people said correct if it's swinging Pooley then it stop qwicker because it's not as high if swinging well on the day and getting good hight it can take extra minute to stop compleatly

I'm convinced the amount of people/weight also affects how well it runs...

I'm not saying you're point is invalid, but when it was running really well earlier on In the season when I rode it, it was running at full capacity, so it can run well when it's full up. It's literally just dependent how well it's running on the day I think.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk