Chessington General Discussion

Ash

There is no Zoo Days this year, and the Christmas Openings aren't likely to be including the Monkeys and Birds. Some of the animals have been relocated in the Wanyama Village in temp homes, but it looks shocking. These were from last week http://themeuk.net/blog/?p=4307

Edit on that: A few more Christmas days have appeared also Annual Pass Days for 14/15th March.

There is no Zoo Days this year, and the Christmas Openings aren't likely to be including the Monkeys and Birds. Some of the animals have been relocated in the Wanyama Village in temp homes, but it looks shocking. These were from last week http://themeuk.net/blog/?p=4307

Edit on that: A few more Christmas days have appeared also Annual Pass Days for 14/15th March.

This is really bad. They just don't seem to be getting it. Thorpe had a bad year last year but they seem to have pulled out their finger and made some big leaps forwards, but Chessington seem to be going backwards.

I love the Zoo days, they are perfect as it is a low cost to get in, so people who like the animals but are not too keen on rides get to go in for a low cost. We went 6-7 times last year and it was perfect, Bubbleworks and Hocus Pocus open and the animals was the perfect balance IMO.

But with Halloween nights finishing at 7, no RMT, closure of parts of the Zoo, effects not working (Monkey Swinger), slow operations on loading guests on to the rides (Vampire), lots of complaints due to it being too busy in the summer, now no Zoo days. This is another reason not to renew our Annual passes. Looks like we won't be able to enjoy a half day at the Zoo with Pizza Pasta as a family :angry2:

It is such a shame as Chessington could be such a great theme park, but it does appear that they are just not trying or Merlin are not funding it. How many times have they been full this year and had to turn guests away....

Chessington has surely gone down hill this year. I'm hoping the reason why there are no zoo days this coming closed season (excluding Christmas & half term) are due to the park doing heavy major park work so they can improve the park, otherwise the park has made a poor decision and as whether it's busy or dead, the animals will still need to be fed.

Considering they're building a hotel extention slap bang in the middle of a big portion of the zoo.. it does give enough reason for it not to be open.

That's the only thing I can excuse Chessie for out of those though. This year has been rock bottom for them.

A wooden coaster would suit Chessington perfectly. If only Merlin knew the greatness of woodies and Kingston council were not so stringy about planning permission. Also, where would they place the ride as Chessie don't really have a lot of unoccupied space and the only ride I can see leaving the park in the next few years is toadies.

A wooden coaster would suit Chessington perfectly. If only Merlin knew the greatness of woodies and Kingston council were not so stringy about planning permission. Also, where would they place the ride as Chessie don't really have a lot of unoccupied space and the only ride I can see leaving the park in the next few years is toadies.

I didn't mean it realistically, I was just saying that a woodie like that would be fantastic at Chessington.

Kingston Cancel are also one of the reasons why Chessington suddenly reverted in to a family park as the park wanted to build a B&M In mexicana, but then the cancel didn't let it happen so then they decided to revert to family rides which many of those also cannot be built because of them.

I haven't spelt council wrong above, I've just written I like that because I despise them for limiting their development and as they don't have the room like towers, it becomes nearly impossible to add anything new there.

Yes the council can be a pain, but when they started developing as a theme park, they knew the restrictions. It is like the Towers have similar restrictions. But this does not stop them, you just have to be more creative. Look at The Vampire and Dragon's Fury, they are both very good rides and they fit in very well at the park, but you can't see them from the outside so it works for them. Zufari was an excellent attraction.

Like everything at Chessington, they just need to spend a little more money and work harder to get good through puts.

Chessington is dying out for some dark rides, a Vekoma Madhouse & 4D cinema would be very easy to install and would not go over the tree height, plus being indoors there is no noise to worry about. Plus they would have high throughputs.

They also need to ensure there is a very good balance between theme park and Zoo, I would not like to see the Zoo made smaller just so they can put in a new roller coaster, this would be a bad choice. I am worried what the Zoo situation is going to be like after this hotel extension.

The council is a huge bugbear, which only appeared after they installed the theme park (council obviously had no issues to install a massive coaster, log flume, dark ride, skyway etc at the time). It's only been since then they crashed right down.

They don't allow the park to have anything viewable outside the park, they don't allow anything remotely noisy, they don't allow anything which'll increase gate figures as it'll affect the local traffic.

If you cannot increase gate figures by giving investment, and the gate remains almost static with no investment, where's the incentive to do ANYTHING?!

It all bubbles down to the council, if they weren't so ridiculously tight then they probably would put more effort in and the park would get the investment needed.

... they don't allow anything which'll increase gate figures as it'll affect the local traffic.

If you cannot increase gate figures by giving investment, and the gate remains almost static with no investment, where's the incentive to do ANYTHING?!.

This is the big one, isn't it. Alton have shown what can be done when you have to work around tight physical planning restrictions, but one which trys to prohibit any actual growth of the business is going to be a killer. What can they do about it? Is there any possibility of opening up another entrance from another road?

How did they get planning for Zufari though, if that restriction is enforced? Maybe that's the reason for the preshow, to keep people away!

This all sounds like a real stomach puncher for the park, having all these tight and iffy restrictions and being prevented from any major expansion is pure stupidity, as how is a business expected succeed if they are condemned expansion.

Also, the following issues which are/will occur in the future,

They won't be able to install anything as large as vampire when the rides removed

Zufari, must be made back in to a grassy field when it's removed

Nothing as tall as furys lift hill can be placed on its site

If Kingston council are still as stingy as they are now when these happen (which is likely), then I can't see how the park could carry on and can continue progressing (as a themepark at least).

Wake up Kingston council, stop being so obnoxious and arrogant and see how this top uk themepatk is boosting the economy!

Digging down is a good option, look at Rattlesnake, it is a tall ride, but you don't notice it until you are almost on top of the ride due to it being dug down. There are always options.

I do wonder if they shut down Chessie and move it elsewhere if Kingston suddenly change their mind...? Probably not as the council are always in it for themselves/their own gain or personal opinions and not the people they serve.

I agree they can't build 100ft drop tower and traffic has to be managed, but there is no reason why Chessington can not expand and put in decent car parks and even improve the local traffic junctions. If huge supermarkets can get new roundabouts, dual carriageways, traffic light junctions put in, then so can Chessington.

*cough* back handers *cough*

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion