Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I think that part of the approval of Wanyama Village was that it would be available all year round, and as such, Zoo Days need to happen otherwise they'd be breaching what the council approved.

the bird garden less impressive than expected

Is anyone expecting it to be impressive at all in the first place? :lol:

You can't get your hopes up with chessington... Last year I went zoo days on half term and I queued for 30 mins for the monkey walkthrough to find out that the monkeys were inside the hut because it was too cold for them to be out. The walkthrough was meant to be very good however I was very upset as I wasted my time for nothing!!!

Well I am going to disagree with some of the reviews above.

Reading on the website, they clearly made out that only half of the Zoo was open, Sealife Centre, Santa walk through open and that was it. I was not happy they had these extra attractions open as to be honest looking at the line up I was thinking to myself that it wasn't worth going. But we all enjoyed ourselves and it killed 3 hours.

So I came expecting to see Santa and only a few of their animals. But I was very happy to find out that the Bubbleworks, Seastorm and Hocus Pocus was open. For us these are all added extras. As an annual pass holder, we didn't pay to park, get in, nor did we pay for our fizzy drinks. The lunch in the Chicken Shack was cheaper than McDonalds and tasted very good.

In the park, they did decorate it up nicely, some trees had lights on, they had decorations all down the main path, there was Christmas music playing at the main gate and in Santa's walk through.

We followed advice from Chessington and turned up early, we were the second guests through the gate, we got straight in to see Santa. For NO ADDITIONAL charge, it was very well themed, the staff were friendly and it created a nice warm atmosphere. For our group it would have costed £30 for us to go to Legoland vs £0 for Chessington. As we got there early we only waited a few mins for the entire experience. I have to say I wouldn't be happy waiting 30mins + for it.

There seems to be a load of work going on, I was going to do a trip report, but as so many members think it is a shambles, I will leave it, got quite a few good pics too.

Now here come my negative comments:

Entry to the park, the main gates were closed right up to 09:55, no member of staff there to talk to you, wish you Happy Christmas, basically all guests were left on their own, this was not good IMO. Put up some lights and decorations over the "Britain's Wildest Adventure" sign at least. Let your guests in to buy tickets and queue up at the turnstiles at 09:45

Now once we were let in the staff were brilliant, shame this was not the case while we queued for 35 mins outside the main gate. It is soimetimes the small things in life which make a big difference.

Food - only the Chicken shack was open, so no PIzza Pasta :angry2: or Burger Kitchen :angry2: . So like every visit, the queue was mega long, staff didn't know what they were selling, very slow to serve guests, queue out the door and down the stairs. They were unable to supply us drinks (We had to queue twice to get drinks), our food was left under the hot lights for 5 mins before getting over to us. As always good tasting food, but shocking service.

Cleaning, they have not properly cleaned the Chicken Shack, the window we were next to had 6 live flies crawling over it, the window seal had not been cleaned since the end of the last season as their was dirt, old bits of food and two dead wasps on it.

Does seem strange to open these extras without advertising the, It's almost like they don't really want people to turn up? Food outlet cleaning issues really shouldn't happen, have they already forgotten the press Alton got s few years back when the health inspectors went to town on them?

There seems to be a load of work going on, I was going to do a trip report, but as so many members think it is a shambles, I will leave it, got quite a few good pics too.

Please share. Pretty please!

Well now I'm home I'll express my opinions of the experience. Basically we took our three boys aged 4, 5 and 14 to see santa. We have been to many attractions over the years to see santa and have had various experiences but myself and my partner can say without a doubt this was the worst for seeing santa. We waited for 45 mins to get to the door where we were greeted but some guy in a Christmas jumper and it felt as though he was very uncomfortable and not very good at making conversation. The first thing we noticed was the heater, at this point it was nice. After waiting for the first group to go through, about another 5 mins we moved into the first room, the elves room where some woman who was dressed as an elf attempted to talk to the 15 people in our group. We were all crammed in like sardines. Ok, she tried but how was she ever meant to make it a personal experience with that amount of people. My boys seemed very unconvinced.

Next we were ushered into Mrs Christmas's kitchen where the other group was already waiting so that made for about 30 people in a very small area. Please note, by now there had been a heater in each room and this room had 2 so it was getting unbearably hot, I mean really hot ! The guy that was in there who kept telling all the kids not to touch things, stank, but I'm not surprised in that heat. I found it amazing they put aunaments around and didn't want anyone touching them. Anyway finally we got to the curtain. Two groups went in, that was 10 and the guy asked if there was any 2's. There's wasn't so turned to us and said how many in your group, there was 5. He said Ok that should be fine. That meant there was 15 in the room with santa. It had to be the most impersonal experience we had ever had. The boys finally made it to santa, he said a few words to them, god knows what as we couldn't hear him from all the others in the room, then gave them a tiny chocolate and had a picture taken. We were then ushered out and expected to pay £10 for the photo. Of course we felt obliged for the kids sake.

All in all it was the worst santa experience we have ever had. I understand it was the first day but the teething troubles should have been thought about before opening, not during the experience.

Please be aware it can get incredibly hot and very claustrophobic.

We will never do this again, my boys were very upset that they were never even giving the chance to ask santa for what they wanted. I've never seen my boys actually in tears before after leaving a santa experience !

I imagine they wanna keep the rides off the website, as the event is the xmas event. They've had issues in the past of people turning up because it's stated certain rides are open, and complaining due to the availability of them.

Plus it helps if it's quiet, they don't need to open them. Chessie is forever budget saving because it doesn't seemingly have one to spend anyway.

I'll upload the pics, there were some very large and I mean lorry sized skips near the Black Bucaneer (Full) and Market square was getting lots of work done. But I didn't get any pics of the Mine train or RR.

As for rides, 0 mins for the rides, the Sealife Centre was packed, Creep Caves was also shut which was disappointing.

Room for improvement would be to have the carousel open, Black buccaneer as well as more of the Zoo. TBH there is no reason why Zufari could not have been open, they only needed to switch off the water effects

As an annual pass holder not paying any extra it was worthwhile, but I would not make this your main Christmas attraction, it was disappointing to only get a small chocolate, but I guess costs do add up. I would be happy to pay an optional £5 to grantee the kids get a small gift when they meet Santa.

I agree the personal touch was missed, but what they need to do next year is to have at least 2 rooms with 2 Santas on the go improving the personal touch and increasing through put.

Tbh, thinking about it (and looking at the pics that were posted after my original post this morning), would moving the Carousel to where the current island of trees that appears to be possibly being removed be an option for the park? It would certainly allow the Carousel to actually have a decent pride of place rather than tucked away...

That said, it looks like a basic refurb of the building at minimum, possibly to make them look more like the Sweet Shop refurb of this year? You can tell as the Donut Shack roof is covered in new pieces of roofing and the Toilet block looks a lot fresher...

My worry here is that the work on Market Square (however good an idea it actually is, as it's always been a rather weak area like Merrie England was back in the day) will detract vital money from the areas that desperately needed the attention (RMT and Falls)...

You mean using the money that had been taken from Zufari?

Chessie being given more than £5m on the park sounds unlikely given recent years mind... The website's page on the development doesn't state that RMT or Falls are separate either, so not exactly something that proves that the various projects are costing more than £5m in total...

I went to a zoo day back in Feb 2010 and really enjoyed it. Even though there were no rides open at all, it was nice to have a stroll around the zoo and sea life tent thang - usually when I go to CWOA I only really have a gander at the sealions because I want to make the most of my day on the rides (although this has changed slightly since I got a pass). When I went the pizza/pasta place was open - had never been in there before and ate so much food I could barely walk afterwards :P

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion