Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I searched for recent things on Chessington and I came across this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2411810/LORRAINE-CANDY-Thank-Chessington-worst-days-entire-life.html). Very horrid to read that the park is so crammed and busy. Lets hope this makes Chessington take the decision to add a coaster (hopefully a GCI or a Intamin freefall ride). One thing I feel sorry for though, is the staff. I suspect they have to stand out in the heat to help the public but I am thinking they don't have any special shade for them such as stands with umbrellas to keep them cool. One thing that made me laugh is that the image used in regards to the queues, isn't even of Chessington.

Given the ride operations that Chessington has had over this summer, I think this article is justified.

Over £100 for a family to visit is ridiculous when they can't even be bothered to get their arses in gear and run the park properly!

I don't understand why they haven't shown a picture of Chessington though...

Well the park is a bit of a ghetto, with staff upselling you to play their games loudly, and poor looking and shoddy Ferris Wheel, crap kids coasters and rides looking run down and no theming (because it fell off), and kids falling off rides...

The park pictured therefore is quite an accurate comparison to Chessie...

Just visited the park today and had an amazing time. Virtually no queues (the longest being three minutes), friendly and engaging staff, and a general positive atmosphere.

I do admit the park needs some major work to get it back to standards (New theming and a new major ride would be a start), but overall, I can't fault the day.

As said on the previous page, with school back, it seems the crowds must have literally dropped overnight. Glad I went this week as apposed to last.

I visited Chessington today with my family and it was a very strange day indeed. The park was the quietest I have ever seen it and it is my home park. Every single ride was a walk on, and I even had a Rattlesnake car to myself :) . Vampire was only running on one train, but regardless of that the queue was maybe 1 minute. I had a ride on Kobra which was fun as it gives a nice breeze of air. However, there was one thing I didn't feel was so good. On all the other rides all the ride hosts sent us off regardless of how many there were. Tomb Blaster was a different situation. When all of us sat down in our places, the person who was directing people onto the train decided to have a chat with the ride controller, even though nobody was in the queue. I would guess that some 2, nearly 3 minutes passed before more people arrived at the station. Even though some people came, the lady continued talking with her little group. Then maybe 5 minutes passed before we were dispatched (I just reminded my self of RCT3 while typing this). Other than this little thing, the whole day was great. I liked the hosts on the Safari Sky ride, cheerful bunch. Also through the day, I kept on thinking how better the park would be if they added a new rollercoaster, most preferably a GCI. Anyway, as I had travelled today I took some photos of anything of interest I saw at the park, which you will see below.

Before I forget, I was able to ride Zufari today. Unfortunately I have some bad news in regards to the cave. The whole water system, except the mist makers, were working. The speakers and lights made the area seem as if something bad was going to happen. But nothing happened. The cave would have been much better with the water effects which is a pity that none of them were working today. I did see however that the elephant on Dragon Falls was being worked on, I think, unless there is a system underneath the elephant that has nothing to do with it.

A new area being built beside the Pizza and Pasta Buffet.

2013-09-10132639_zps8e36b02f.jpg

Monkey and Bird Garden work.

2013-09-10141526_zpsdee04cf6.jpg

Zufari truck on road (nothing so interesting about it, but I think I'll post it because its not on the ride site).

2013-09-10151718_zps04deaeef.jpg

The following images are of the runaway mine train. The image below shows the runaway mine train's bridge covered in scaffolding.

2013-09-10170526_zps207c6895.jpg

2013-09-10130032_zpsa7689eb9.jpg

2013-09-10171013_zps880f89fc.jpg

The park is exceptionally weird atm, as in some cases, it looks terrible (although they've now taken steps to hide Runaway Train completely, especially from Jumbos)...

But on the other hand, they've added the odd little bit that looks nice and makes the park slightly better... Vampire opens up at 9:30 which allows for some early morning whoring if you can withstand the poor operations, and the new method of pre-show and lapbars on Zufari improves the loading situation greatly... Shame that the pre-show is still awful mind...

Two lots of construction in the Zoo, the aforementioned Monkey and Bird Garden looks to be a new style enclosure, whilst there's also a new thing going into Wanyama...

I had a decent enough day yesterday... Skyway is ridiculously fun in the rain going down by the back of Sea-Life...

Had a great day at chessington today apart from getting soaked from the rain...

Walk on (non existant queues - summer nights at Thorpe seemed busier haha), or just had to wait for the next ride...

Vampire was on 1 train operation but can't complain as we had to wait for people to fill up 6 rows before the ride could be sent off (not sure if that was due to the rain or that's how it is?)...

Peeking heights seemed to be down all day even though there was someone in the operation box (unsure if its closed in wet weather)...

Zufari was alright second time round but was just ruined by the waterfall event section not working - although the spray was working...

The highlight of the day was actually breaking down on Griffins Galleon - it was juddering really bad while spinning and stopped on an angle after like 10 seconds and it was just me and my friend were stuck in the rain for like 5-10mins until engineers had to manually push it back haha!

Merlin getting one of their occasional beatings on watchdog at the mo. Basically, people getting reduced adult tickets for concessions are then getting charged more for their child tickets, the highest being the child of a disabled guest. What a wonderful system that is!

Report ends with a sort of apology and 'we'll change it' from Merlin.

chessington is getting so much bad press atm. First with the bad summer qeues and planning , then guests not being able to get into the park , due to numbers and no warning for guests and now with watchdog and there theme park prices online and genral admition.

I feel really sorry for them , People just need to give them a break and look at the positives ! , think how many people, families and children that park makes happy on a daily basis ! I just hope halloween is a real boost for the park ! :) , I believe in you chessington !! after all you did give me my first ever ride on a rollercoaster , as I am sure you have to many kids and adults , so for that I am truly Gratefull ! :)

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion