Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Topsyturvy15

Hollenblitz needs to happen. As insanely popular as it is I think they do need to keep some sort of turnover of rides and attractions to keep people coming back rather than trying something else, this year felt very samey to me.

It's a bloody massive park, I'm sure they can expand it if they need to; they are not bound by any physical boundary. At the moment I think it has become too segregated; if the market stalls intermingled with the rides I think it would benefit both groups and the flow of people. It was actually quite hard to even find somewhere to pick up a drink in parts of the ride area this year.

I don't really see the problem here. The novelty of a funfair in Hyde Park is always the attraction to people, the atmosphere of what feels like a proper German fair attracts more people then any single ride does. Theme parks rely heavily on the ride hardware but even a simple waltzer or booster is enough for people to go to a fair. I don't really see an issue with Winter Wonderland not expanding much for 2015.

Pluk, Hyde Park prevents them from ticketing it. Hyde park is a royal park and it therefore requires free entry to be able to roam around any of the park, when winter wonderland takes place, they have to provide free entry as it is stated by the royal parks that all the land must be free to roam upon by the general public.

It would be a nightmare anyway, the place would crash to the ground with an entry fee on top of all the charges for attractions inside...

That is not correct. They hold many concerts and festivals which are gated and ticketed, access can be restricted.

I can't imagine they'd want to go down that route, but with the excessive crowds I could see a time when the council what put a stipulation on their licence to find a way to control the numbers to maintain safety.

EDIT: yes Tommy. My phone decided not to show me your poat before I replied.

Sorry, I had heard this information from a friend, it's my mistake completely.

I have already seen many complaints on facebook etc. about the prices inside the event. If a charge for entrance tickets was introduced, do you think there would be a chance of prices inside for rides and attractions lowering at all?

If this was me I would put it as Entrance Price at quite a varied price such as £6 for a Child under the age of 16. £8 for 16-18 year olds and then £12 for Adults. After this Flat Rides such as XXL and that at a price of around £5 it's abit cheaper and to make sure it's getting a fair cycle. Coasters at around £4 because even with a good queue, face it there not good enough for £6. And then for the fun houses and little flats such as Barrel of Laughs around £2. That would be my way of doing it and see how that would work for next year.

If this was me I would put it as Entrance Price at quite a varied price such as £6 for a Child under the age of 16. £8 for 16-18 year olds and then £12 for Adults. After this Flat Rides such as XXL and that at a price of around £5 it's abit cheaper and to make sure it's getting a fair cycle. Coasters at around £4 because even with a good queue, face it there not good enough for £6. And then for the fun houses and little flats such as Barrel of Laughs around £2. That would be my way of doing it and see how that would work for next year.

Whilst I view this as a good way for the event to operate, I just can't see the prices dropping that low. Gladiator was already £9 this year and is bound to raise to a £10 price tag next year. With the new arrival of the Hangover Tower as well, I just can't see them charging below £10 for it, as it is going to be at least €6-8 on the German fair circuit if not more.

From a perspective of a ride operator, they can make much more money by charging high on their rides if the event is free entry. If the event was charged and they had to drop their prices, their overall profit would be lowered as they would be getting a smaller portion of money from entrance fees than if people were riding at a higher price tag.

A possible way to proceed is to make you book free entry tickets online to garuntee entry and to stop it being too overcrowded?

Will they ever stop it becoming overcrowded? I mean they now restrict the entry of people into the event at peak times but it is still crowded inside. But in a way that's part of the atmosphere! People visit year after year for the buzz, hype etc! Last year 2013/14 event got 2.5 million people walk through, more than Thorpe can get in a season.

As for new rides, yeah the odd new one may be nice for some people but it's not needed to draw the crowds in. Loads of people still haven't visited once, I took someone two weeks ago who had never been before so everything was new to them.

Winter Wonderland is more about the atmosphere as a whole than bringing in new rides. If they make it so you can't just turn up on the day and stroll around then I'll be disappointed and that'll be a lot of their business gone! Many people who work in London walk through it on their way home with the colleagues and get a drink or something.

With regards to winter wonderland being overcrowded that aint gonna change anytime soon unless they can get more space in hyde park which would cost tons of money. The problem is winter wonderland is so popular you get people from the USA, people from Asia, people from Australia, and many other countries coming to it which in turn makes for huge crowds.

Just spotted the cars of Schneider's Power Tower 2 attached to a George Irvin's funfair truck parked on the side of the M3 in London(heading towards Thorpe Park).

Really interesting sighting as the other loads weren't with it, only the cars and they were attached to a funfair company's truck who I presumed don't have any associated business with Ewald Schneider.

Anyway the cars of the ride actually looked really nice and well maintained on the back of the truck, really quite disappointed I missed out on the ride at this years winter wonderland but I have ridden it before and I'm sure there will be more opportunities for those of us in England to get a ride on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Both look like worthwhile additions, especially the Ghost Train, tempted and hoping to ride it this year [as long as I don't need to take out a loan].

Any updates on that massive new power tower they were going to build/get last year but never happened?

There will be a LOT of new rides this year, as the event is set out to be much bigger, including Hangover The-Tower(85m), Airmaxx Smashing Jump, City Skyliner, Heartbreaker and plenty more attractions to be announced.

In terms of pricing, it will be similar to last year with smaller flat rides costing £3-£5 and larger flat rides and rollercoasters at £6-£8. The coasters from last year will all be returning and favourites Air, Gladiator, XXL, Ski jump and Winter Wonderland express are all confirmed to return. A full line up/event map shall be released shortly.

the BIG question is... will Rock Rage/Ski Jump be there again this year... my single favourite flat ride experience ever, was crazy - wish I got to do it more than once!

The coasters from last year will all be returning and favourites Air, Gladiator, XXL, Ski jump and Winter Wonderland express are all confirmed to return. A full line up/event map shall be released shortly.

The Big Question is did you forget to read the post above confirming it is there for this year?! Come on dean your better then that ;)