Merlin Entertainments

RobF

Pretty sure Mark and I have both used that argument multiple times. You misunderstand. Of course you can have any opinion you wish but do you not find it tiresome to waste so much energy or a company you seem to hate? I really dislike Legoland so don't go. Fred doesn't like Thorpe so doesn't go, etc

But what about people who like the parks, but hate the way they are run and how Merlin con customers?  (Like me).  I still enjoy visiting their parks but their ever increasing money-grabbing tactics take a lot of the enjoyment out of them.

The frustrating thing is that they would be brilliant parks in the right hands.

But what about people who like the parks, but hate the way they are run and how Merlin con customers?  (Like me).  I still enjoy visiting their parks but their ever increasing money-grabbing tactics take a lot of the enjoyment out of them.

The frustrating thing is that they would be brilliant parks in the right hands.

You've got to make the decision on whether it is worth visiting anymore. There is more out there then the Merlin parks after all and just with a small added cost you could go on some amazing rides like Chiapas or Helix. A year away from Merlin politics can do the world of good.

You've got to make the decision on whether it is worth visiting anymore. There is more out there then the Merlin parks after all and just with a small added cost you could go on some amazing rides like Chiapas or Helix. A year away from Merlin politics can do the world of good.

Yes, maybe once the stresses of A - levels are over I will be able to do this, however at the moment it's not all that easy to travel so far to visit these parks.  Thorpe is 40 minutes down the road, to put it into perspective.

However, I do escape Merlin quite often as I visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which I enjoy far, far more than the Merlin parks as well as smaller parks like Fun City, Brean and Oakwood (although sadly Oakwood has gone the same way as Merlin now, if not worse).

Everyone complains about money-grabbing but if you look long and hard, pretty much all companies do it, they're just more subtle about it.

The difference is that some companies do it honestly.  Merlin are just misleading customers here, and it's very underhand.

Why is the renewal price the same as the normal one?  Again this is taking perks away from the pass, as one of the advertised perks is reduced renewal rates however it is now the same price (and more than it was earlier in the year).  Not on at all, you don't seem to get anything for being a loyal customer any more.

As I mentioned before, in previous January sales, it was actually cheaper to buy a normal pass than a renewal.  Were people complaining then?  No.  So why is it loads of people are complaining about the price of renewals when, in fact, it's the price of a normal pass that has gone up in this sale?!  To me, it seems like people try to target Merlin whatever way they can, even if they're arguments don't make sense!

Here's the issue, I and presumably many others got an email recently about renewals, being told prices from Premium will start from £93 odd...

This comes in and adds £50 to the price... The customer service on this? Absolutely terrible... That is where Merlin's problems come from, the treatment of their guests...

I won't be renewing, £150 can be spent on a holiday, train tickets or rent... More important than the odd visit to a Merlin park...

Whilst I didn't get this email, must say I'm surprised at that - that's a near £30 difference (as I expect the £93 refers to family passes).  I really do think Merlin should issue some form of apology for that, as that is a pretty big muck up on their behalf!  

Explain how "money-grabbing" is ever honest? Making a profit is another thing entirely.

Charging too much for things? Like £49.50 for a day ticket to Thorpe. Money grabbing, but not misleading.

And people aren't going to moan when they get to pay less than the normal renewal price - the issue is that the renewal price has been raised in this so called "sale.". I still think that it should be less than buying a new pass as well.

Charging too much for things? Like £49.50 for a day ticket to Thorpe. Money grabbing, but not misleading.

Merlin aren't the only ones to charge lots though. I mean I'm planning a holiday to WDW next year and it's going to cost me about £2000 for less than two weeks, how is that not the same as Merlin? Yes, the Disney experience is much more magical and on paper provides more, but you could say Merlin parks provide the high-thrill attractions.

My three day weekend at Alton Towers in May cost just under £1000 for four of us. Not exactly cheap but the customer service was fantastic all day every day, the hotels were clean and all the queues (except Smiler) were below 20 minutes all weekend. For short breaks like that I think AT are right to charge so much. It felt like quality and they really did everything to make it special.

I agree Merlin do charge a little too much for most of their products, but to hate Merlin because of it is silly as they're certainly not the only company to do so! Like I said in another topic this constant Merlin bashing is getting so frustrating. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, so if you hate Merlin and Thorpe Park that much, don't give them money and never visit the parks?

Simple as tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the terms and conditions on the pass have also been altered too, which means in the result

1/ Standard passes must Prebook entry to Madame Tussaud's & Dungeons. They can turn up but entry isn't guaranteed. They also need to pay £1 booking fee

2/ Premium passes can go in free but need to book at the attraction office

3/ Premium passes cant visit Shrek until September whilst standard may not be permitted at all

4/ May 13-31st is also excluded from Standard passes now

5/ Legoland free parking for premium seems to have disappeared

Talk about being good to loyal customers. It fears me the MAP is becoming more of a discount pass in recent times (especially to standard ones) and I don't like the limitations that Premium seems to be getting.

Apparently the terms and conditions on the pass have also been altered too, which means in the result

1/ Standard passes must Prebook entry to Madame Tussaud's & Dungeons. They can turn up but entry isn't guaranteed. They also need to pay £1 booking fee

2/ Premium passes can go in free but need to book at the attraction office

3/ Premium passes cant visit Shrek until September whilst standard may not be permitted at all

4/ May 13-31st is also excluded from Standard passes now

5/ Legoland free parking for premium seems to have disappeared

Talk about being good to loyal customers. It fears me the MAP is becoming more of a discount pass in recent times (especially to standard ones) and I don't like the limitations that Premium seems to be getting.

What?! I am sick to death of this company now! Can I have a link please before I go full scale rant?

What?! I am sick to death of this company now! Can I have a link please before I go full scale rant?

Source of this material is here http://riderater.co.uk/2014/merlin-limits-annual-pass-attraction-access/

I'm afraid so. If Merlin continue to go on as they have the last few years, the date I stop renewing completely could be quite a bit closer than I first planned.

Odd sale they have there when the renewal price has gone up by £30. I thought that was against trading standard regulations. I always thought you had to sell something for 6 weeks at the new price before you can lower it and call it a sale. I guess they must have some clause in there terms and conditions. Still to call it a sale when the price has gone up is in no way ok. Its misleading and dishonest. 

Believe it or not I am actually trying to not bash merlin at every opportunity however that is not on. I could have renewed my pass yesterday for full price for less than it is in this "sale".

Trading Standard regulations section 18:

• to claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time

"There are certain exclusions for the Standard Annual Pass:

NO ENTRY

Madame Tussauds London 14th - 31st May, 1st – 31st August

The London Eye 1st – 31st August, 14th February & 29th – 31st October

SEALIFE London Aquarium 1st – 31st August

London Dungeon 1st – 31st August, 29th – 31st October

Warwick Castle - Secondary Attractions at Warwick Castle including, but not limited to the Castle Dungeon will be subject to additional charges.

THORPE PARK Resort - An event booking fee will apply to Fright Nights and other special events at THORPE PARK Resort regardless of the time of entry or departure.

Bank Holidays - All London Attractions

Shrek’s Adventure 2015 - NO Entry with a Standard Merlin Annual Pass in 2015."

Not sure if this has been brought up however the new shreks adventure attraction located on the southbank will NOT be avalible to standard pass holders. Absolutely outrageous; a merlin annual pass should include entry to ALL the attractions ALL year round. These endless up charges and exclusions are driving me crazy, and an upgrade to a premium pass is FIFTY POUNDS!!

-_-

Also why is the refuel capsule now 75p per refill instead of the £8 is used to be for unlimited refills? Only conclusion I can draw from this is that it will only result in more profit for merlin as more money will be made. Guest satisfaction seems never to be considered these days, they only squeeze more money out of you until you go bust. As I have said in another topic, there are many more unhappy customers this year and I think if is only a matter of time until merlin gains themselves a dreadful reputation and an overall loss of profit.

Sort yourselves out merlin.

Not sure if this has been brought up however the new shreks adventure attraction located on the southbank will NOT be avalible to standard pass holders. Absolutely outrageous; a merlin annual pass should include entry to ALL the attractions ALL year round. These endless up charges and exclusions are driving me crazy, and an upgrade to a premium pass is FIFTY POUNDS!!

I can see why this would annoy people, but personally I'm not too fussed by it.  If there's certain midway attractions that they want to leave out of the Standard pass, then that's up to them.  It could well mean that less people end up visiting, so that's something that will affect Merlin more than passholders in my opinion.  I do hope that they give Standard passholders a discount though.

Also why is the refuel capsule now 75p per refill instead of the £8 is used to be for unlimited refills? Only conclusion I can draw from this is that it will only result in more profit for merlin as more money will be made. Guest satisfaction seems never to be considered these days, they only squeeze more money out of you until you go bust. As I have said in another topic, there are many more unhappy customers this year and I think if is only a matter of time until merlin gains themselves a dreadful reputation.

Sort yourselves out merlin.

The capsule change took place for this year.  Last year (2013), it was £16 - not £8 - for unlimited refills.  This year, they changed it so that you paid £1.99 for the capsule, then 75p per refill (which is the case for 2015).  Was not a popular decision!

I thought that was against trading standard regulations. I always thought you had to sell something for 6 weeks at the new price before you can lower it and call it a sale. I guess they must have some clause in there terms and conditions. 

Trading Standard regulations section 18:

• to claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time

You make a good point here.  I can see why Merlin call this a "sale", since it is a reduction on the new prices of the Annual Pass.  However, I always thought that the original price had to be used before they could do a sale price (you notice it with supermarket and shop adverts all the time - whenever they have a sale on big items, you see in the small print when the 'full price' for the product was used.  My only thought here is that because the pass is "new" (slightly different T&Cs), they can get away with it as an introductory price.  

However, as I've said before, I still think £149 for the Premium MAP is good value - it's just a shame that they're offering it at that price after saying it would be cheaper!

Having checked it is against the law to call this as sale regardless of the T&C's. They must state the old price and the new reduced one they cant state the new price of what its going to be. Anyone which has purchased a renewal has full rights to take legal action. DFS had the same problem last year. If they started the sale on Jan 1st then there is a regulation which sometimes lets them do it. However this has no exception clause. It is misselling. 

Actually laughing at this now... The facebook page is nothing but complaints. Merlin should stop defending themselves saying that the 2014 year ends on 26th Decemeber(which is not factually correct and wasn't stated in the terms or conditions) and should just own up to the truth and resolve their issue.

They ovbiously realised the passes were selling well and decided to increase the price at a random point, not only meaning that the price is the same to renew as to buy a new pass(what happened to loyalty!?!) however it is also considerably more than it was a couple of days ago.

I am laughing as they have dug themselves into a gigantic hole on their facebook page and they can't get out of it. They have made such a bad move and are losing customers by the minute. Check the facebook page if you think I am wrong.

And no I'm not heartless I feel for those being affected by this, especially after reading this comment and realising how despicable merlin are being.

"Hi can you explain how the sale price is 119 to renew premium merlin price and that's your sale price when a month ago was 90. So how is that a sale price. Have never payed no more then about 90 so why up it this year and pretend to people is a sale price when it is clearly not!!!"

Absolutely dreadful, a sale price is not more expensive than when the pass was being sold a month ago, I know this is being highlighted above I just want to show how stupid it is of them.

Actually laughing at this now... The facebook page is nothing but complaints. Merlin should stop defending themselves saying that the 2014 year ends on 26th Decemeber(which is not factually correct and wasn't stated in the terms or conditions) and should just own up to the truth and resolve their issue.

They ovbiously realised the passes were selling well and decided to increase the price at a random point, not only meaning that the price is the same to renew as to buy a new pass(what happened to loyalty!?!) however it is also considerably more than it was a couple of days ago.

I am laughing as they have dug themselves into a gigantic hole on their facebook page and they can't get out of it. They have made such a bad move and are losing customers by the minute. Check the facebook page if you think I am wrong.

Whilst I'm not defending Merlin here, I do think some things you've said here are unfair:

-I can't see anywhere where Merlin have publicly said '2014 ends on December 26th', or words to that effect.  They always do a sale starting Boxing Day (well, for the past few years, I mean), so it's not a 'random' time either, technically.

-It really bugs me that people complain about renewal prices being the same as ordinary prices.  Up until now, the new year sale meant that a renewal price was MORE EXPENSIVE than an ordinary price.  People didn't complain then, saying that their loyalty wasn't being rewarded.  Why complain now that the ordinary price has been raised and so, in effect, making loyalty a slightly better thing?  It just doesn't make sense to me!

As I say, I'm not defending Merlin here and I can well and truly see the argument some are making about the price (being sent an email saying it was one price, then it being another, being a 'sale' which is actually more expensive than before, etc.).  However, in fairness, if you have the email, Merlin are apparently honouring that price in the email, so that's something.  

I do hope that Merlin make some form of public statement / email to all current passholders.  Out of all of this, the one thing which I find most disappointing is the lack of communication from them regarding this.  I appreciate that their social media team may well be on a Christmas break or something, but that seems short-sighted given they've put a sale up - there's bound to be questions.  So yeah, I do hope Merlin communicate something soon really.

Maybe all of my opinions are swayed by my personal circumstances.  For the past few years, I always got my AP in this sale.  I would never look at the price before Christmas day and then just go for the cheapest option (except last year, where I got a Premium).  This year, I'm getting a Premium again and personally, I'm okay to invest £150 for it - yeah, it's a lot of money and yeah, it's a fair bit more than normal, but I think it's worth it still.  Yes, I'm annoyed that I could have gotten a renewal cheaper before Christmas, but I guess I'm also aware that a sale is no guarantee, and that these sale prices are from the 2015 prices, not the 2014 ones.  It's annoying, but I guess I lucked out on my waiting.

Surely they should do a price increase after the sale has ended instead of before it? I am failing to see how it can be classified as a sale if the previous price was CHEAPER than the price in the sale, regardless of a random price increase or not.

It does not make sense and I don't think merlin should be allowed to classify this as a sale, in reality it is a price hike of what they previously were.

They're not saying that the renewals is in the sale though. They're saying buying a new pass outright is which a few days before the Christmas period was £169 for standard and £209 for premium. Therfore for what they are advertising as the sale is fine as it was a higher price prior to the sale period.

Renewals have risen yes but they aren't part of the sale. Two different things.