Merlin Entertainments

RobF

It's still a stupid business move though. They are losing their most loyal customers who pay every year by rising the price. The sale price for joining customers isn't exactly attractive either, then only to be bombarded with exclusions or charges for every attraction visited.

Despite the renewals not being in the sale, they did actually send out an email to all exisiting pass holders saying they could get an annual pass for £90 renewal rate, 3 days later to suddenly up the charges and saying it is the end of the 2014 season. From my sources I know that merlin advertised a 30 day time period in which to renew however to hike up the price within a few days time.

Another point I have to make is the lack of investments for 2015 yet the massive increase in price. The only decent new investment is the Shrek tour on the southbank yet pass holders can't even access that?! There appear to be no major developments over the attractions this year so I wonder where all the money is going, obviously not into developments. Yet despite the lack of investments, we see a massive increase in price for the pass this year with added exclusions and charges, this will upset not only existing customers but also those joining and will massively decrease customer satisfaction. At the end of the day it will become their problem not mine and the problem is already arising with the complaints on facebook,..

Surely if I am talking nonsense, the hundreds of others complaining on facebook are talking nonsense as well?

With the advertised price I think that's just them showing what they will be selling them for the rest of 2015 so by renewing now you are saving so much compared to if you did it later on.

The email thing is something different as not everyone got this said email. Yes they should deal with that in some way, yes they should have some social media people around. But people complain every single year about something at the sale. The email was clearly wrong and Merlin will deal with that. They just take their time about it which yes isn't great but still better than nothing.

I can only see the email issue as greed SCB, they could have easily left the renewal price which would then make annual pass holders feel more valued than upping the charge. My only way to view it is that they think because the customers are loyal they will pay again so therefore make more profit by charging more. This is not the way to run a business and will lose customer satisfaction in the long run.

Six Flags' pass gets you into every one of their parks for less than a Premium MAP...

Gets you some discount booklet, friend tickets for free on selected days, entry to the waterparks and the events at some of the parks if not all...

They also have a gold pass, which is for free parking and a few bonus things (VIP entry is billed as one of the perks, but standard still get ert)...

So how much are these? I assume they vary depending on the park but Magic Mountain currently has the basic one at $75 and you can in their sale get a free upgrade to the Gold level...

So yeah, Six Flags slightly better than Merlin in that regard...

Six flags is in America though...

In the UK Merlin seem to think they can do whatever they want as there isn't much competition... To be fair, they can, as people will still go, and higher prices may potentially mean less guests, smaller queues, greater guest satisfaction, well that's my outlook on it anyway. Managed to renew my premium pass in November for £92, not sure why it was so cheap!? But I'm not complaining, how much I used it this last year, even £300 would have been a good price, but £99 in January sale this year for 3 adults is crazy good!

It's not an unusual thing across the world of theme parks. Indeed, from what I can understand, it's more common to own rides slightly further into the season than not.

Maybe their reasoning behind it is because of Smiler's delays and realising that the UK's unpredictable winters are not best for construction work?

I think it is more common at parks that have year round / very long seasons, because there isn't really a start or end to base it in. 

Seems like a really bad idea for our parks, not only does construction disrupt the park and often make it look a right old mess but if what is to come is a big thing it destroys the first half of the season, with people holding out for the opening day. And then it opens into peak time rather than having a slightly quieter period to iron out the kinks in.

Just seems like lose lose to me. Plan things further in advance, use those massssive closed seasons effectively and have things done a couple of weeks before the gates even open. Why ever not?

In the first year of Shrek opening ( This Year), if you are a Standard Passholder you are not getting. Merlin stop treating your Loyal Customers like muck and treat all Passholders the same.

Out of interest - Why do you think Standard pass holders (or any for that matter) should get access to Shrek?

Surely buying your annual pass grants access to the attractions open at the time of buying, Merlin certainly dont have to grant pass holders to new attractions. 

Maybe Annual pass holders shouldn't be allowed to use anything new then. Sorry guys, you got an annual pass, you can't ride this new roller coaster, use this new restaurant or stay in our super duper new Enchanted Village.

No - Thats totally different, you buy a Merlin annual pass and it gets you entry into the attractions which are printed on your pass - when Shrek is open and is printed on the passes should it get you into that. 

Wait, so if I buy a standard pass a day before Shrek opens, I can't visit the attraction all year?

I believe you can't ever visit the attraction Tommy.

The Melrin pass site states: Shrek’s Adventure 2015 - NO Entry with a Standard Merlin Annual Pass in 2015.

? of course you can.

I understand it, but it's just a mess of restrictions and exemptions. The stuff on the 'premium' should be standard, the restrictions on the standard make it and 'off peak' or 'lite' option. The prices don't necessarily need to change, but the marketing does.