CHRISTMAS!

Mer

HO HO HO!

Because it's that time of year, so why not? So...what are you doing for Christmas this year? Do you have any traditions? What do you hope to get? Or do you just appreciate the food, music and family etc?

This year I am going to my dad's (with my brother of course) for Christmas dinner, with his parents, then coming back home to Mum's in the evening. She is having her parents over and they will be there in the evening, so get to see both parents and both sets of grandparents, yay! We're waking up at Mum's though, my dad knows it wouldn't be the same if we didn't! Then on Boxing Day, my mum's parents are coming over again for another Christmas dinner, and me and my brother will be there too :) Don't know what else we are doing regarding seeing the rest of the family, we aren't really a family who make strict plans, apart from inviting grandparents over for dinner as that obviously requires planning.

As for New Year's Eve, we are very last minute and my mum always says how she hates it and not knowing what to do. We usually go round my aunts but it's all good fun because there is plenty of drink, we are not a boring family! This New Years, I am venturing oop north to see Ben. Yay!

We have some traditions! The biggest one is the Christmas music we play. It started off known as "The Tape". It is music my mum's parents played when she was a child, it's Christmas songs sung by Ray Conniff, and his singers :) So it's kinda old sounding music but it's a big family thing, everyone has a copy of "The Tape", although most of us have upgraded to "The CD" lol. My mum plays it around Christmas time and ALWAYS on Christmas morning, The first song, argh, as soon as it starts it's like...I dunno! Just so exciting and reminds me of being young and eeee :D Here it is

http://youtu.be/Wcvn-xxkmlI

Christmas morning - we all go downstairs, to the smell of turkey cooking; my mum gets up at around 4am ish to put it in and slow cook it, so that when we wake up we can smell it! Mmm! Mum makes tea, and puts the Ray Conniff music on, we open cards and presents...yaaay! The music reminds us all of being children and believing in Father Christmas etc.

Another tradition is that we kiss this Father Christmas decoration when we get him out, and kiss him goodbye. It's not quite the same now my mum keeps the decorations in a cupboard and not the loft but still :L Here he is:

1e63b5636ddee30770e800a3a39f88c8.jpg

Also in the background, you can see the stockings my nan (mum's mother) knitted years ago for each of us, with our names on!

On Christmas Eve, I peel the sprouts for my mum :L It started a few years ago and now it's become my little tradition thing I do!

And my mum always buys ham (although I think it's actually gammon, but whatever, a big round piece of hammy thing) and boils it with some vinegar and one pickled onion, something she got from her mum-in-law. It tastes niiiiiiiiice! We call it "Nanny Barbara Ham" lol.

Oh and even though I've seen it so many times, I usually watch The Snowman when it's on. It makes me feel Christmassy and it's cute! Sad ending though! When my brother first watched it when he was little, he cried, bless him!

And one of my favourites...THE CHRISTMAS TRUCK! When Father Christmas rides around town on his sleigh with the fake reindeer at the front, blasting out Christmas music, collecting for the local charities...I always film it and me and mum go out to wave! It remind me of being young and excited by Father Christmas and aah it's just so lovely and awesome and festive!

Oh and of course, we have the traiditonal drinks - good ol' sherry and port. Really nice port - Cockburn's Special Reserve Port! Pronounced "Co-burns" according to my mum, but I just pronounce it how it's spelt hehe! And we always have champagne with our Christmas dinner, woo!

In terms of presents, well it's been a long time since I had a big pile to open due to not having much money but I don't mind. Yes, I do miss that feeling of "Oooh all these presents to open!" but it doesn't make or break Christmas. Plus, I still do have things to open, usually a small thing or two from Mum and a few things from Dad, and of course I greatly appreciate the money receive from family. The music and food and atmosphere, seeing family, seeing people happy, the usual shizz on TV...it all makes Christmas.

So yeah...in the words of Slade..."IT'S CHRIIIIISTMAAASSS!!"

Sounds good Mer! Hope you have fun!Well our traditions start on the 1st December, because that is the first night of my school and our partners' Christmas Concert, woo! We're an all boys school and they're all girls, so we have lots of choirs / orchestras etc who rehearse and perform together. It goes on for two nights and it's great fun and a brilliant atmosphere and just wonderful to be in :D I'm in senior choir and our A Cappella group. Because my sister went to the other school and is four years older than me, we've now been every year for the past 9 years! Most certainly tradition.After that comes a few days at a place called the Bluebell Railway! ([plug]www.bluebell-railway.co.uk[/plug]) I've grown up with the place and now volunteer there for 3 or 4 days each year during the 'Santa Special' period, helping with the on-train catering and general behind the scenes running of stuff. There's always a magical atmosphere there - all the steam, little kids screaming with excitement and old folks looking with wonder seeing a steam train for the first time in 45-odd years, all the stations lit up in the darkness with coloured fairy lights... It's really magical :D We always drive down there at about 7:30 to get there for 9, so the carols come on in the car and it's all amazing! This year for the first time we all spent a day down there together and actually went on the 'Victorian Christmas' train together which is kind of the adult alternative to the santa specials for the little kids.Around the 20th we usually go and see something in London, this year it was Chicago but a couple of years ago we went to the ENB's production of The Nutcracker at the Colosseum which was awe-inspiring and oh so Christmassy!Somewhere around all that lot we fit a bit of shopping! A new tradition the past two years has been the addition of a day in Oxford Street which is far more fun than Sutton!As for the day itself... We still do stockings for each other! We spend an hour or so sitting upstairs talking and unwrapping a few silly presents from those, then get ready and stuff... I mostly have a shower first so that I can sit in my room and put the news / radio on just to confirm to myself that it is indeed Christmas by hearing someone else say it! After that we go downstairs and have a tiny breakfast (last chocolate on the advent calendar!) and open one thing each, but save anything else for when we've gone and picked up my nan from her house. That's usually about 10, so we come back and my mum and nan start cooking while my sister and I sit in the lounge watching stupid TV and opening stuff :o When the food is in the oven and just needs to be left alone my sister and I give the other two their presents, at which they always protest we shouldn't have :) After that the day tends to descend into a blur of food, wrapping paper and Christmas Specials!Continuing Mer's theme,"It's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you!" :D

I adore Christmas. This year I'll be spending Christmas Eve evening and Christmas day with Chris. We get up around 9, casually get some wine or maybe some cava, some patte and start opening our presents. We'll always have BBC one on as thats the best channel for shows. Chris cooks the food as he is so calm with it and so organized. TV goes off whilst we eat and then back to the TV for evening television. Doctor Who, Strictly and this year Ab Fab.Mostly though, I get to spend the day with someone very special to me. Like Mariah Carey says"All I want for Christmas, is you" :):o

Aww great replies :DAdam I know the Bluebell Railway :) It's about 30-40 minutes drive from where I live. Gotta wrap pressies later :o Before I do the sprouts!"Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus Lane. Vixon and Blitzen and all his reindeer are pulling on the rein. Bells are ringing and children are singing and all is merry and bright. Hang your stockings and say your prays cos Santa Claus is coming tonight!"

Lovely topic.Plan for tommorow is to get up, go round nans for a couple of hours, then hit up the Red Lion pub before going back home for a lovely family dinner at around 3. I haven't asked for much this year, and hope I don't get alot to be honest, because I have finally understood that that is not what Christmas is about, its about the atmosphere, the magic and most importantly, the food and drink! :PHave a great day whatever you get up to tommorow :)

My sister got all pissy because I took her sellotape to wrap her present with, so I threatened to take it back.My Christmas consists of the following: Shower, Presents, Play PS3 all day with a small break for Lunch, then sleep.But for the past 3 years, me and a mate have gone to the local Church Christingle. Neither of us are entirely religious, but we always take the opportunity to have some fun when were given a free orange, candle and easily burning sweets... :) I don't really have any special Christmas traditions other than sweating it out on the new PS3 games I get, but I'm hoping to carry on the Christingle tradition with my mate for as long as possible!

we always take the opportunity to have some fun when were given a free orange, candle and easily burning sweets...

EDIT: Deleted. I would get warned for the adult nature of that comment.Anyway, we also have many of the more standard Christmas traditions, but this year I won't be part of much of that as I am mostly at work. Oh what fun. Merry Christmas, to those who are getting one.

Well because my parents don't live together I kinda have 2 christmas days, so today I've spent the day at mum's with my sister and opened all my presents here. Got the usual chocolates/stocking filler things as well as money towards my new iPhone of which I also got a custom made case with the Skrillex logo on it... :) Also got MW3, and that's it until tomorrow when I go over to Dad's when the grandparents will come over too. Today we're having chicken for dinner then tomorrow it's turkey. :D Boxing day I'm also at Dad's then the day after that it's the other grandparents and relatives, so a busy few days ahead.Today it's just a chilled day at home, playing with my new phone and watching TV. :o Hope everyone has an awesome Christmas and gets everything they wanted. :D

When I say burn, I mean out the sweet things you get on the oranges over the flame so they go all toasty like marsh mellows. Don't worry I'm not some sadistic arsonist who goes round burning places of worship ;)This is the first year I've been excited for Christmas for a while though. For the past few years it's just been a opportunity to see the family and receive nice presents from loved ones. This year however, I'm just really in a Christmas mood. Even though there is no snow or particularly frosty weather where I am, I just feel like the atmosphere of Christmas is really kicking in. I always find boxing day really depressing though...

Just escape from Asda with all libs..For me its a very boring Christmas this year but it was good to spend the last hour with my new cousin on his first Christmas with us and the rest of the family it has finally made me feel festiveTomorrow is the annual grandparents round for Christmas dinner, with the same annual drink, schloerthen just spend the day on my new presents, I know most of them so their isn't much of a surprise and thats what really make christmas seeing little kids shock faces on what they have got for ChristmasBoxing day is the annual boxing day party with all the family so that should be good and that's pretty much is for ChristmasChristmas song this yearLast Christmas - WhamMerry Christmas TPM :)Posted Image

I'm not a huge Christmas fan but I figured I should try and make an effort this year! I don't have many surprises this year, just getting money from my parents and I know what my presents from Ian are (except the GIGANTIC card :)). I have no idea what I'm getting from my aunt and cousins this year though. My nan can't afford to get us presents or give us money, so we have sweets and chocolate from her. The rest of the family will give us money.At some point tomorrow we're going round to my aunt's for dinner and things. Not really sure what I shall spend the day doing, seeing as I'm not getting anything new that I could use a whole day doing, so I'll probably just spend the day with my little sister (she's 7, and she's got a LOT of new things).After Christmas it's hardcore revision until New Years, when I get to see Ian again! :D Happy times!

*Sips port*Having a lovely day so far, had a fun time with my step brother before he went off to his dad's. He got a real version of Angry birdswhich you can build etc :DDinner was gorgeous, the veggies came from my dad and step-mum's allotment :) It's made a nice change seeing my dad and everyone :D Was a tad bored having to sit and watch Singing In The Rain though but it's all part of Christmas :PI'll be back at mums at about 8 :D

Had a great day so far, very tired but I'm chuffed with my presents. Been playing MW3 all day and the campaign is very impressive. I'm yet to try online and I still have 4 hours of double XP :D I hope everybody has had a lovely Christmas and got everything they wanted, from presents to being with friends and family :)

My christmas day ended up like this: Woken up by My boyfriend to open my presents, which took time because, not bragging, there was a fair few. Then me and him watched films all day, whilst only coming down stairs to go eat lunch (which my dad took as an oppurtunity to give me love-bite tips and how to get them really big and bruised. Fab :/ ). Then it was time for Phil to go home, so we dropped him to the train station to start the 90 min journey home. Only, we misread the time table and thought there were trains running on christmas day. There were not. So, my mother, completely terrified of driving in London, under my dad's instructions, braved the city roads to drive him home, all the way to Lewisham. As you can imagine, from Maidenhead, Lewisham is pretty far away, and my dad got all excited and took us the long way just so he could look at all the landmarks because he adores London. We spent 2 hours trying to get home, but my Mum got lost somewhere near Surrey. Sheesh. What A christmas day that turned out to be.

Christmas in Lewisham? Sounds DREADFUL...Yesterday was good if weird considering the extra person this year... More presents means more mess but the usual food was good... Watching DVDs and Ratatatatatouille was good fun, need to break out the Xbox games at some point to ensure they work...Christmas Eve was much superior tbh, what with the constant Christmas film day me and Nicky had... Was FAB <3