Are Fright Nights Safe?

TPP

Question

From my first visits to fright nights this year and discussions with employees the normal level of security has been decreased around the mazes and particullary the rear of the park. ( Monks Walk ) Now dont get me wrong from literally 100's of visits over the years I'm not saying that we all risk death! lol but the invasion of the chavs and rude boys that we always see to increase this time of the year ultimatly will ruin things for those true customers like ourselves! I saw no visible security like in previous years ( normally blokes in black jackets etc ) around the entrances of the mazes, just 17 year old girls in high viz! Now what on earth could they do if / when it all goes wrong?! I mean we have all seen problems over the years with q jumpers and even fights inside the mazes! But normally there is a sense of security in the fact that there are ppl ( not 17 year old girls ) able to throw these idiots out and to also protect the actors. One actor has told me of the concern that there is no longer security on the mazes, also apparently there are no longer dog patrols on the road at the back of the park. WHY???! Any tom idiot or harry could get in there with all kinds of weapons etc! I really hope the Park management have not made a serious era in judgement!!

Edited by IanNem
Renamed Question

No matter what you believe, I can assure you that there are at least the same amount of security staff. if not more. The park will be safe so long as you are sensible. As for chavs, they are normally dealt with well by security and rarely cause a major problem at fright nights. As we get closer to halloween the number of security increases by a fair bit and you should feel perfectly safe around the park.

From my first visits to fright nights this year and discussions with employees the normal level of security has been decreased around the mazes and particullary the rear of the park. ( Monks Walk ) Now dont get me wrong from literally 100's of visits over the years I'm not saying that we all risk death! lol but the invasion of the chavs and rude boys that we always see to increase this time of the year ultimatly will ruin things for those true customers like ourselves! I saw no visible security like in previous years ( normally blokes in black jackets etc ) around the entrances of the mazes, just 17 year old girls in high viz! Now what on earth could they do if / when it all goes wrong?! I mean we have all seen problems over the years with q jumpers and even fights inside the mazes! But normally there is a sense of security in the fact that there are ppl ( not 17 year old girls ) able to throw these idiots out and to also protect the actors. One actor has told me of the concern that there is no longer security on the mazes, also apparently there are no longer dog patrols on the road at the back of the park. WHY???! Any tom idiot or harry could get in there with all kinds of weapons etc! I really hope the Park management have not made a serious era in judgement!!

Maybe Thorpe are putting the fright back into fright nights.

So if its Safer etc why do they still wear handcuffs and Stabvests...? What next... CS gas! I can't quite get me head round it all, it's a place that unfortunately seems to attract idiots especially at fright nights, just hope the staff are ok this year.

On a brighter note fright nights are back!!!

No, they do not have legal exemption for carrying offensive weapons (like batons) or firearms (like cs is classified as). Stab vests and restraint apparatus like handcuffs are just sensible though when you are likely to be manhandling people who don't want to be handled.

It is a fine line, visible security should act as a deterrent (which surely is better than cure once wronguns have already played up), but too much security actually makes everyone uneasy as they are constantly thinking why it is necessary. In past years I've thought they have it about right, not been this year to see for myself.

Door staff have coped for Years without the need for all that gear! Maybe they just aren't competent enough to deal with the scroats! I know a member of Surrey police and they say the crime stats arnt great. Just be aware people that's all. Any park has issues some more then others. I really hope the park builds a new coaster in the near future, plans for the hotel look awsum!!

The security is increased during Fright Nights. External Security staff are drafted in especially for the event, if you havent noticed over the past few years? I'm not sure if this remains the case this year, I will find out on Saturday, but it has been increased every year.

There is normally security inside the mazes, you just dont see them. I managed to spot one of them standing in The Asylum, had it not been for me looking backwards rather than forwards, I would never have known they were there.

Police also sometimes take a walk around the park, so you have nothing to worry about.

Used to be the days of 1xsecurity with 1xpolice. On Saturday there were no police, and 4minutes after Saw Alive opened an actor was punched in the face and the man held and eventually cuffed.

Also noticed a 'fight' almost break out in the 360 bar with a drunken thug arguing with bar staff. 8 security...yes you read correct...8 security had to calm him down.

I say bring back the police and a zero tolerance policy!

Well......... I think my point is proven! lol I dont think its the right image having incidents like these especially if they want to attract " decent " ppl. $ mins!!! Blimey that is some kind or record surely??! The poor actor. My sources are obviousy correct in saying that they fear for thier own safety. No police or Proper security means TP have obviously struggled budgetwise this year we all know visitor numbers have been down on what they were expecting, As for 8 security for one guy... jeez thats bad TP!!! Sort it out PARK MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

Well......... I think my point is proven! lol I dont think its the right image having incidents like these especially if they want to attract " decent " ppl. $ mins!!! Blimey that is some kind or record surely??! The poor actor. My sources are obviousy correct in saying that they fear for thier own safety. No police or Proper security means TP have obviously struggled budgetwise this year we all know visitor numbers have been down on what they were expecting, As for 8 security for one guy... jeez thats bad TP!!! Sort it out PARK MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to personally pay for it all be my guest... Do you have any idea about running a business?

Do you have any idea about running a business?

He probably knows more than Merlin tbh. On Saturday, again, they over-filled the park (not to capacity but the at park was full and people had to park around the streets). This meant it was almost a necessity to buy fasttrack for the mazes- I don't mind doing so. So for Asylum, Ex10 and The Curse it was £13 each and then £3 for The Passing. That meant the two of us paid £30ish. So, with many many doing this (as much so Colossus and The Passing sold out), where is this money going?

Don't say towards actors wages and maze progression because that comes out of the increased prices for FNs. It goes into the pockets of Merlin's management. The same goes for the parking fees; they're meant to pay for the car park maintenance and refurb, again not done.

A business should care about their clientele and not over-fill, over-charge and, essentially, bully people into paying extra to do the rides they want when they've paid so much in the first place. All restaurants, photo booths etc were so understaffed, and The Swarm (AGAIN) opening on one train...they knew this would be a busy weekend!

Saying that, I had a really good time Saturday but the people the park market too simply makes trouble for themselves and it seems the staff and fighting a loosing battle.

DUTY OF CARE!

As for do I know about a business ? Well I have more of an idea then them.. What good business takes risks regarding ppls security by getting rid of perfectly good arrangements that have been in place for literally YEARS! The park being over sold etc is typical - they only care about the pound signs - especially because they have had an awful year. The parks never been the same since certain management took over... Bring back Taussauds, at least they cared! Wonder how many actors or

As for do I know about a business ? Well I have more of an idea then them..

If I had 1p for every time I've read this on a theme park forum, I wouldn't have needed to take out a student loan for uni...

Seriously, no matter what anyone's views are on Merlin, they know how to run a business. They're making loads of money and they probably still have pretty high satisfaction rates on the whole (I'm sure the general public are a lot more satisfied with things than we are, for example...). There'll be many reason for having an awful year this season, and no doubt some of them are completely out of Merlin's control.

If I'm honest, I'm a bit confused about what your point is here. You believe there's a drop in visible security and that there's some actors who have some fears about safety. A visible drop in security is not necessarily bad - just as long as there's enough to keep people in line and act as a deterrence as pluk said. Also, if actors have fears for their safety, I hope they're brought that to the park's attention to some description - all well and good saying it to some person who can't do anything about it, but it doesn't actually help the situation, does it? By the sounds of it, there's always security around, and sometimes it's just that they're well hidden / blending in, which is surely a good thing?

Incidents will inevitably happen in the mazes, whether they've just opened or been going for a few hours. It will happen across the country and it's just an unfortunate thing that happens. I believe that the only Thorpe maze which 'needs' to have security outside the maze is Asylum, due to the fact many get freaked out too much by the ending (or something like that, not too sure, but I've heard it's one they 'always' have security by the exit'?).

So basically - Merlin know how to run a business, and any changes to security this year have probably been thought through carefully, and if there are serious concerns from actors / staff, they should bring it up with the park and sort it out.

Lets come back to this thread at the end of fright nights and see if your right?

I trust management's choices in this matter and trust the parks security team to make sure I'm safe when I visit as a guest. Its not in the parks interests for people to get injured for them to save some money really is it?

A security host has said he is not happy with what's going on this year. That's good Anough for me. Bring back the tall guy who was in charge but not seen him this year yet... He was quality dealt with the pikeys really well. I just hope my bf don't have ppl q Jump on him when we go next weekend. He and his mates are not the kind to deal lightly with idiots like that. Thorpe seems to be too full of yes men that sit around in the offices and don't actually go out on the park and experience the issues that security / staff and public experience.

Edited by Mark9
Have removed staff members name. - Mark9

I didn't realise free speech was banned?? Do staff look at this forum? But I do appologise if I have caused offence.

It's not to do with free speech, but I believe it's to do with staff contracts and such.

Also, as a side note, the staff member's name is still showing in the quote on Steve's post; still needs removing there. EDIT: See it's been done; thanks! :)

Edited by JoshC.

I see thanks for Lettimg me know. Yes they do have a duty of care which they are failing by decreasing security numbers and replacing with untrained rides staff. Police will not deal with private matters, if they are hired in by TP then they can't arrest ppl as to do that would take them off of private duties which they are being ( heavily) paid for.