Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

Yes but like others have said its not unique enough, and if its only purpose is to be a multi looper then what's the point having it there with Colossus, unfortunately it doesnt have a unique selling point and the 2 other B&M's in the park are also floorless so to speak so it would be really pointless it being there.

Maverick is hands down one of the best coasters I have ever been on. It has no unique selling points, just an incredibly clever layout and compact design. An Intamin Blitz coaster like this would be an incredible addition to the park, IMO.

We all know it's no secret that Merlin try to be as 'careful with money' as possible, so it's no surprise in some way that they like to go for coasters with a big USP. Spend money on something that's relatively unique, it seems to be a more sure-thing that more people will come flocking in. The logic of course being Merlin think 'Well, if people realise this coaster is "similar" to another coaster, then they won't visit our parks!! Panic!'

But until a Merlin park takes the apparent-'risk' goes for a tried-and-tested coaster type, that is in no way unique, but instead is just really fun and beams sheer quality, they'll never know if that sorta thing will bring in the crowds.

Shame really.

I'm quite surprised at Merlin's apparent strategy to go for first this, most that, fastest here, higher there, rides. One of the main reasons is going for new experiences usually leads to one thing: new problems. You have no other client to talk to because you are the one that bit the bullet and were the first mover, when the arguably "smarter" parks let someone else ride the teething problems out before they get one of their own.

On the face of it, Merlin looks like the kind of company that, on the whole, don't want to invite risk, especially costs associated with risks. New rides, new problems, new financial headaches.

Something tried and tested doesn't have to mean tired and tatty. There's a way of having a good solid quality ride which doesn't necessarily have to make you dizzy from loops, scared of heights or give you a temporary face lift from the speed. I just hope Merlin can figure that out.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a B&M hyper coaster themed to a nuclear disaster (might cause some drama in the news.....) similar to the swarm area but obviously themed to a nuclear disaster. And a Tivoli Extreme ride in the area where the coaster is. What does everyone think about that?

We don't want another disaster/horror themed coaster, we've had two in a row now and it would be nice for them to use a different approach to their next coaster.

A B&M hyper would be good in my opinion, I'd rather have a woodie though!

We don't want another disaster/horror themed coaster, we've had two in a row now and it would be nice for them to use a different approach to their next coaster.

A B&M hyper would be good in my opinion, I'd rather have a woodie though!

maybe a roller coaster themed to vikings. It would kinda make sense since the park is surrounded by water?

GCI's just look better, RMC's to me just look like steel coasters disguised as woodie and if wasn't all about the looping woodie thing they have going on at the moment I don't think many would care for RMC tbh, but all for a woodie yes :P

To be fair I don't think I've actually ridden any decent woodies for me to have an opinion on wanting thorpe to get one, instead of thinking how cool outlaw run looks.

Magnus Colossus at Terra Mitica I enjoyed but apparently people hate it as it's too slow and rough

Gwazi at Busch Gardens was a long time ago but all I can remember is coming off with a headache

BPB woodies, none of them really stood out to me as being a great ride

Megafobia at Oakwood, only ridden once, in the dark and did enjoy it, but would love to experience it again to make a conclusion.

admittedly the POV of Wodan does look great, but I can't have an opinion until I've experienced one... just still would rather see (and ride!) an RMC than a general woodie.

But an RMC Built is a steel with wooden supports but after ridding one they just feel the same as what riding a lap bar steel looping coaster feels like so I rather then get a GCI Or GG woody and do it right because IMO I'll rather they get a all steel coaster built better then trying to gimmick a woody with steel tracks that run like steel and show no fun roughness you get from a woody. And they look a mess iv not see a nice Hybrid themed one yet

• 2 weeks later...

So along with an old X car, these were in the dome today...

1609947_890601454299151_1349753824_n.jpg

10151294_890601797632450_1537909108_n.jp

(From Theme Park Worldwide FB)

Is the woodie concept still not dead then? Or have they just dragged things out for some after-hours event a little too soon? Whatever the reason, Thorpe do love to tease us geeks! :P

Could this be for the science event they've got this week? Would make sense. Still don't think the wooden concept ever died, just was put back on the shelf once again. Would be interesting to see how the public on park react to that image though, as all the FB comments seem to want woodies (yes, even the general public). If Merlin still think that the GP find them unsafe then I'd like to know who they ask (possibly the same people who were up for a smaller drinks capsule that costs 75p per refill).

Isn't that an alternative plan for Saw: The Ride as you can see the building and the 2d view of where the vertical lift hill is as well as the first inversion, and then an alternative layout after which would seem to go over by loggers leap?

That was the original plan. It featured two MCBRs and had a 4th inversion (bottom right of the picture; think it was some variety of Immelmann loop). I think on larger versions you could see it went right over where the CCR track was as well. It ended up being changed in May 08 time, in preference of the airtime hill and turn around. :)

I think SCB hit the nail on the end as to why these plans and the X car are out in the dome though :P

RMC woodie plx.

Smooth, reliable, and efficient. Plus, inverting coasters with lap bar restraints and having wooden supports! It's like Merlins fear has been made up in a company!

Anyway, these things look amazing. They can be compact, smooth and probably are one of the most versatile ride designs on the planet. One would fit nicely into the western area above saw. Idec I'd design their layout if they wanted me to XD

Never noticed that SAW plan before; not that I've ever looked. I scrolled past it at first and didn't even notice the difference :wacko:

I think given the way it operates, aka the midcourse acts as a 'Yes you can go' for the main lift hill; having two midcourse would have been pretty pointless, if you assume it was going to run a similar speed around the track to now; with the same operation. Would have been quite nice though to have a bit extra to it, as I've always felt the outdoor section was very, well short and back-and-forth; but I'm equally happy with what we have.

With regards to a woodie, I too don't think the idea is dead. Considering before B&M Wingriders came about, Swarm was suggested in initial plans years ago to be a flying rollercoaster. But I do think it is maybe a ride that would be left on the shelf until the right idea for it emerges. Having said that, lap bars carry lower height restrictions than OTSR's; so with this new move towards family, a woodie or any lap bar coaster wouldn't go a miss; especially one without inversions.

Personally I would love to see something like Apocalypse: The Ride at Thorpe, from Six Flags Magic Mountain as it's an incredible woodie, with some great speed and thrill to it. But we can dream.