Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

If it's new, people will want to ride it.

it's new, and of course people will be attracted to it... no difference to a new flat ride... with their popularity decreasing to a certain extent after the first year?

if thorpe want to attract more people and bring back existing visitors who want something new to warrant visiting, then it's creative yet relatively cheap ideas like this that would allow them to do so on a short term length of popularity before becoming a general ride... like storm surge, except 100 times better.

Maybe, depending on how good it is.

Still, that isn't always the case - I still can't put my finger on why The Swarm didn't attract a lot of people!

when it comes down to the swarm I don't think it can be blamed on one particular thing.... it had to be a mixture of so many different things (I know thorpe would know this but has anyone taken into account why the ride doesn't get that long queues due to it's great throughput compared to the rest of the park) - but I feel it was a lot down to money possibly being spent elsewhere that year by people, for example olympics and don't have that extra cash to make a visit and would wait til this year etc. and the fact the swarm was difficult to market as it isn't a standout ride, which doesn't have the same marketing power as what stealth and saw would have had... I still think it's a great ride, and really good themeing, but so smooth and at times slow that it doesn't become that thrilling which from reviews which would have had the same opinion may have given off a bad view of the ride?

when it comes down to the swarm I don't think it can be blamed on one particular thing.... it had to be a mixture of so many different things (I know thorpe would know this but has anyone taken into account why the ride doesn't get that long queues due to it's great throughput compared to the rest of the park) - but I feel it was a lot down to money possibly being spent elsewhere that year by people, for example olympics and don't have that extra cash to make a visit and would wait til this year etc. and the fact the swarm was difficult to market as it isn't a standout ride, which doesn't have the same marketing power as what stealth and saw would have had... I still think it's a great ride, and really good themeing, but so smooth and at times slow that it doesn't become that thrilling which from reviews which would have had the same opinion may have given off a bad view of the ride?

It's also really cut off from the rest of the park! Hopefully when the 2015/16 roller coaster comes they will link it together with swarm and have a path by the sunken gardens to the new ride!

The path by Sunken Gardens would link onto the currently unused land next to Swarm; there's no other logical way it could work really! So I highly doubt that the second entrance to the Swarm island will open up until the other island opens up.

From what I've been told, Swarm's island was considered to have the Sunken Garden link from the go, but it was scrapped very early on in the project so that the entrance to Swarm's island was much more grand and spectacular; also making you explore the entire island island before you get to the entrance.

The path by Sunken Gardens would link onto the currently unused land next to Swarm; there's no other logical way it could work really! So I highly doubt that the second entrance to the Swarm island will open up until the other island opens up.

From what I've been told, Swarm's island was considered to have the Sunken Garden link from the go, but it was scrapped very early on in the project so that the entrance to Swarm's island was much more grand and spectacular; also making you explore the entire island island before you get to the entrance.

it was weird how when I went in 2011 to fright nights, the entrance to sunken gardens was closed off with a a metal lighting rig with lights on around the gap of the path under stealth with the swarm name on... and actors saying about the war is coming - presuming at the time that the entrance to the ride would be there. and then come in 2012, and it's in a completely different place and the gardens unchanged.

But would like to think when it comes round to a ride on the new island with a path which would be where the gardens is, that they would make the effort to link to the swarm as well.

The entrance was always planned to be behind Depth Charge, but the Swarm stuff was put by Stealth as more people went there, and you could see Swarm from there. Sunken Gardens was still accessible at the time; if you went through the Stealth tyre, there was a small pathway to the left of the main Stealth queue line made (which has now been filled with plants and stuff) :)

please no.

I don't particuarly like IP's... because films get old and no longer relavent, even popular ones in my opinion.

although there's two sides to this story, as getting an IP ensures a decent amount of effort is put into themeing, and then when the IP runs out, the ride would have to go through some sort of refubishment (which wouldn't normally happen otherwise which is a good thing) to remove the IP, while still creating a theme (which doesn't always happen very well though unfortunately), and the money spent on the IP, and relavent themeing sometimes leaves a lot left to be desired with the ride itself which is the main thing in my opinion, so would rather have had Saw: The Ride with more thought put into a longer and better layout (as you can see how compact gersts can be made with the space given) rather than the IP, and went for half decent themeing instead.

Watched Catching Fire yesterday...

It would be very difficult to translate into a theme park environment without throwing excessive amounts of money at it with an area probably equal to the size of Thorpe itself to make it remotely believable...

Easiest way of doing it would be an Interactive dark ride mostly focusing on the training before the arena (so ripping off Men In Black Alien Attack's story)...

Yeah I agree, the gist of the movie is too complicated to be translated in to a ride I think. Fair play to them if they can pull something off though.

Personally I'd like to see a lighter theme for the next big ride.

Thorpe is the only UK Merlin park that doesn't have SeaLife built in in some way - I would like to see something along the lines of the theme for SeaWorld's Manta on the new island. Some of the queue could be in glass tunnels through big tanks, etc, and the island could have a nice SeaLife centre and themed shop too! That would be fantastic imo. Perhaps an Atlantis theme??

As for the ride its-self, I don't know. I'd just like to see a nice fresh and lively theme :)

BTW didn't Swarm plans show up in early spring 2011?? So I suppose if the 2015 coaster is happening we'll see plans within a few months.

BTW didn't Swarm plans show up in early spring 2011?? So I suppose if the 2015 coaster is happening we'll see plans within a few months.

hopefully, and it also said on the 2011 map "new coaster 2013"! But I also heard that the park is also only allowed a really tall ride (stealth height) every so often. That means they could be pushing the 2015 coaster back by a year so it can be really tall. After all, stealth will be 10 years old in 2016!

• 2 months later...

My my, it has been quiet on here recently! I was just going back through the 'The Swarm' speculation thread, and we already had a teaser press release about it in December 2010. Based on that, do we now think that we wont see Thorpe getting a new coaster till at least 2016 as based on past time frames, we should have heard something by now for a 2015 opening!

I believe somewhere in recent planning applications, they said they are delaying the 2015 coaster until at least 2016. Can't really remember where it came about, I think it was actually when the permanent hotel across the lake was reapplied (not Crash Pad).

It was actually in the original Crash Padapplication I believe! :P

I reckon it's probably 50/50 at the moment. The applications said that it was "likely" the '2015 coaster' would be delayed, not that it would. If we don't hear anything by the end of February though, I'd say it's a dead-cert that we won't get a coaster in 2015 (opening for the new season, at least...)