Rush

Perks

Okay. So, it's basically done this since 2007. Swing B outperforms swing A, which means the computer goes a little crazy when B peaks much earlier than A at just over 90 degrees (anyone noticed how the first of your 4 full height swings on B is significantly higher than A?). The computer then has a paddy and desperately tries to re-sync the swings by powering A as much as it can, and basically doing nothing with B, thus why the ride ends up with A performing better.

By the end of the ride, everything is out of sync and it looks a mess.

Knowing this, what I've always wondered is why is the computer programmed to care about the synch? My presumption is the structure could not handle the force of both swings going in the same direction on the same side and simply fall over? But we know the ride can and does operate on one swing, so it's not that the ride needs to counter balance itself entirely. So there should not be a problem unless the ride is ever powering itself in the same direction on the same 'half' of the ride - a situation it is surely not going to get into during a 4 swing duration.

So is the computer frantically trying to overcome a problem that isn't going to happen in the programmed time, or am I not understanding something about the mechanics or physics of what the ride is doing?

• 4 weeks later...

The objective is to get the bar as loose as possible so you fly out of your seat. Its only fun if you get swing A, try and avoid swing B its far too boring. 

Thorpe Park Mania does not condone such actions as having your bar as far up as possible. That sort of action, could lead to serious consequences...

With that said, I pull them down as far as possible on Rush and Slammer! :lol:

I don't. If I pull my restraint down too much on (say) Rush, for the whole ride I'm just pinned to the back of a rock-solid seat, which is painfully in contact with the base of my spine for the whole ride! So alternatively, I just allow a little room between me and the restraint and enjoy the airtime! :D

With regards to lap bars on Rush and Slammer, I feel the need to have them pretty tight but when they're too tight it gets awfully painful for me and I often find myself asking the host to undo my restraint again (not to be awkward- just that I have bruised my hips before as a result of pushing the restraints a bit too far down!) 

Got some pretty decent airtime on Rush on thursday though. 

Yeah I always try to leave a little gap on Rush, but there's not much point recently because the swings don't get that high anymore :(

Though on Slammer I pin myself down to avoid certain death...

Ride swing A, the closest to the control box(Green and yellow colours). This gets a decent amount of height, although maybe as not much as it used to however completely beats Swing B by the air gates which doesn't even get to 90degrees anymore. Shame really needs to be fixed.

TPJames, that's the side I went on last, and I wasn't satisfied...  :(

Well swing A is reaching about 20degrees higher than the other swing...

I enjoy rush at the moment on swing A however on swing B I find it really boring, I hope they can fix both swings so they reach the 100degrees(around and abouts) that they used to as I'm sure swing A is getting 90degrees and swing B is getting about 60/70degrees :(

the seats on rush are too deep to fall out... I've tried keeping mine as loose as possible, but obviously if it's too loose the operators would realize and would push it in.

as for slammer I make sure the lap bar is sufficiently tight, but hate the shoulder restraints so have it (if I really tried) that I could get my shoulders out aha!

• 3 weeks later...

Swing A still running well... went on at the end of the day with a few minutes to go til closing, and there was noone in the queue and could have sworn I got a longer cycle than usual (or the cycle length I used to remember having when visiting back in 2009/10/11/12), and as they'd closed the chain they asked if everyone wanted to go again so noone got off, after like 30 seconds wait (not sure if the ride had to reset) we were off again although felt like a shorter normal cycle again... anyone else had this, so confused, as someone said on here it's a set cycle, they can't change it!?