Scarefest

JoshC.

Scarefest Scare Zones - will you be among the brave?

NEW FOR 2106 - Freak Show
A travelling side-show of circus rejects has descended upon the Alton Towers Resort. Dare you walk amongst the freakishly fascinating misfits, desperate for your undivided attention?

Dark Apocalypse
A deadly virus has spread across Forbidden Valley. The infected show signs of highly aggressive behavior and rapid physical decomposition. Phalanx control has quarantined the area however, a recent security breach has questioned their ability to contain the virus and keep society safe.

Scarezones for this year posted on FB.

13767397_10154162209261201_2433342370285

Freak Show, no doubt using old Carnival props, but a good cheap way of giving something new.

Not sure where it'll go, I'm guessing it'll be more like Zombies was than being on a normal pathway? 

13880211_10154162209291201_7007432629233

And Dark Apocalypse! Really liked this one last year, had a good story and atmosphere! Would be nice if they could open up Sub Terra too, maybe push it as a Scarefest attraction too.

As for the mazes, really need to try Terror of the Towers, never done it so probably should now.

Skin Snathchers could be interesting, an I'm intrigued to how they make it unique, as Terror is groups and spooky I hear, Sub is intense action on your own, and Molly added something else, so will be interesting to see how they balance.

Sub Species <3 As long as they don't mess this up, it's worth the trip alone for this maze. I'd like to see them change it a bit, but at the same time don't go mad, it's sublime as it is!

For the families,

Get set for some spooky family fun this Halloween!

Join Franklyn, Skelvin, Patch and Phil in their colourful Halloween Playland that's filled with spooky attractions, theming and activities that are perfect for young families.

Our 2016 Scarfest family attractions will include Skelvin’s Spooky Storytime, Phil & Franklyn’s Ghoul School and Patch’s Trick-Or-Treat Party. Plus we have more exciting Scarefest news for families coming soon....

Halloween Playland filled with spooky attractions? Am I reading into it too much or is this going to involve some rides? Maybe based around Cloud Cuckoo? And more news coming soon, could be the Alton ancestors, or, what about Hex? I'd heard it was going to open in the summer, what if it'll open for Scarefest? It's spooky, family and if it has had a bit of work could be quite exciting. I have no idea, just food for thought!

Oh, and the park is open till 9pm. Confirmed. Glad they haven't slashed that.

26 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Carnival of Screams, that weird like Easter event thing at Thorpe, Big Top, and now this. Why do Merlin love circuses so much?

As cliche as it is, clowns and anything circus related scare a lot of people! I know a few who have phobias of clowns so incorporating a popular scare into this event is sure to get to a lot of people! :)

1 hour ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Carnival of Screams, that weird like Easter event thing at Thorpe, Big Top, and now this. Why do Merlin love circuses so much?

Isn't just merlin TBH. If you look at halloween events worldwide, Clown/Circus based mazes are very common.

Mainly due the common fear of the clowns as Amarghh said.

5 hours ago, Amarghh said:

As cliche as it is, clowns and anything circus related scare a lot of people! I know a few who have phobias of clowns so incorporating a popular scare into this event is sure to get to a lot of people! :)

4 hours ago, imindetonator said:

Isn't just merlin TBH. If you look at halloween events worldwide, Clown/Circus based mazes are very common.

Mainly due the common fear of the clowns as Amarghh said.

Oh I know why, I have a fear aswell, it just seems Merlin use it a bit... much compared to other companies. 

4 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

It just seems Merlin use it a bit... much compared to other companies. 

It's either clowns or its "Chainsaw ALIVE" so I think we got the better option here..

This Freakshow scare zone certainly looks interesting. It certainly appeals a lot to me more than Skin Snatchers does. I wonder where it's going to go though? It won't be in the same place as Nox, and I can't think off the top of my head an ideal location for it.

9 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Oh I know why, I have a fear aswell, it just seems Merlin use it a bit... much compared to other companies. 

I wouldn't say so, they've never had more than 1 clown attraction at 1 of their parks, a lot parks/scare attractions have at least have 1 clown based attraction.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to take photos on Saturday but the entrance queue looks pretty nice, Old fashioned speakers around the queue and a Mine Cart (Looks like something out of the RMT queue, probably is) on the grass to the left of the tunnel. Expecting a Town scene much like the Carriage scene at the start of Molly Crowe.

As for inside the maze, I'm expecting scare actors to be wearing prosthetic masks made up of patched up skin from different people (that's what I'm taking from the story).

The question is, will this be like Molly Crowe? Cover up your face so they don't know what you look like as you may have skin they want until the end where there is a big finale scene?

I can imagine a scene where the lights go out and then a gang of stitched up townsfolk appear with scalpels and tools and you have to leg it out, like Molly Crowe.

I wonder if my idea will be used in Sub Species this year, Enter you name on an iPad and when your in the intro room, you name appears on the bidding board with odds. Very cheap yet immerses guests into the experience

9 minutes ago, imindetonator said:

I personally wouldn't like it to have a hooded section. I suspect a mine-type theme, with a MBV type approach with a cannibalistic feel.

As MBV is gone now, I wonder  if there gonna reuse MBV's theming?

Neither would I, but If it's taking the same route, I'd be worried they would do the same, it's easy enough to do with the theme I guess... Kind of a reason why you have to wear one too, like MC.

Hmm, good shout actually on it being a hooded maze.  I don't get that vibe from the description, but the logic behind making it one is pretty sound.

Doubt they would reuse any theming from MBV though.  Just because it's all Merlin, it doesn't mean they share / reuse theming; I can't think of any time any park has reused theming from another park to be honest!

I really do hope that this isn't a hooded maze; it doesn't fit with the story at all. You go into the old Altonville mine for a tour.. And you have to wear a hood?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a partially hooded section. Maybe the skin snatchers interrupt your tour, put a bag over your head and take you to their home?

I don't mind what happens really, I just hope that this maze is good enough to replace Molly Crowe, as that maze was seriously good!

Molly Crowe was probably my least favorite last year, but it was pretty great.

If Alton fit the hood element in with the story, it could work.

But Hood mazes are very hit/miss, and I would prefer something without the hood gimmick, unless its for a short period of the attraction as @MilesK said.

Looking at it, Skin Snatchers is advertised as the only maze with 15+ rating.

Which maybe means its going to be very graphic? As the theme is very grim, and I can see it being very gory.

14 minutes ago, imindetonator said:

Looking at it, Skin Snatchers is advertised as the only maze with 15+ rating.

Which maybe means its going to be very graphic? As the theme is very grim, and I can see it being very gory.

Sub Species is also advertised as a 15+ rating. The only one that isn't is TOTT with an advisory 12+ rating. 

As for it being graphic and gory, I see this being highly likely. Ripping someone's skin off won't be a pretty picture..

14 minutes ago, MilesK said:

Sub Species is also advertised as a 15+ rating. The only one that isn't is TOTT with an advisory 12+ rating. 

As for it being graphic and gory, I see this being highly likely. Ripping someone's skin off won't be a pretty picture..

To directly quote it from the website:

Sub Species-"Only suitable for those aged 15 or over"

Skin Snatchers- "You must be over 15+ years old to enter this maze"

TOTT- "You must be over 12+ years old to enter this maze"

So it seems like Sub Species will be somewhat advisory, but with Skin Snatchers it seems like a restriction.