Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

I hope they just keep the corridor simple like it was previously. If they just had the motel doors and some dim lights, the tension would be amazing!

Then I'd have an actor behind the check-in desk at the end of the corridor, pressing his reception bell and asking the "guests" if they've made a reservation etc.

Let's remember the premise of the maze - we are going on a tour of Studio 13, where the new film - The Motel - is being shot.  Our tour leads us through sets of film, as well as make up booths and what not.

If the corridor still exists (I assume it does, but if it isn't a structural necessity, maybe they'll get rid of it; who knows!), then I'd want it to be used to tell us a bit of the story.  Have one the film crew let us know about the film, what we're gonna see, etc.  Maybe hint at things going wrong, or that something will go wrong.  Be eerie, crazy; whatever.  It would be much better than a corridor with an obviously-placed scare actor and a couple of painted-on doors.  It worked with My Bloody Valentine (indeed, probably the best part of that maze), and given that this is an original idea from Thorpe where thought has gone into the story, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work with Studio 13.

Of course, the way that corridor is used would depend on how we're meant to walk through the maze.  As I've said before - I'm hoping we get something other than the 'traditional' conga line!

What about a secret actor in your group as you walk around that gets 'killed' halfway through?

I'm never normally a fan of actors pretending to be ordinary guests - it's normally quite easy to suss out if someone is acting like a member of the public.  There could also be logistic issues (ensuring that an actor always conveniently joins the group before the maze).  Would be interested to see it happen though.

Personally (if we get a conga-line maze), I'd love to see people just picked away from the group every so often and left to wait for another group / venture the maze alone.  Much scarier not knowing what's happened to the person who's been left behind!

Personally (if we get a conga-line maze), I'd love to see people just picked away from the group every so often and left to wait for another group / venture the maze alone. Much scarier not knowing what's happened to the person who's been left behind!

Don't like that idea at all, think its unfair to steal people from their groups and then have your friends worrying about you once they get out. If it's a conga line, let it stay as a conga line instead of taking people away to suffer. If you want to do the maze by yourself, then you can go to brave it alone. Unfair to separate people from their groups especially the people who are really scared about the maze.

Don't like that idea at all, think its unfair to steal people from their groups and then have your friends worrying about you once they get out. If it's a conga line, let it stay as a conga line instead of taking people away to suffer. If you want to do the maze by yourself, then you can go to brave it alone. Unfair to separate people from their groups especially the people who are really scared about the maze.

Maybe they could pick out those who are all like 'yo bruv, dis is so dumb, innit?' (chavvy teens)

It is something the park have tried before - in 2011, actors 'stole' the person at the end of the line in Se7en occasionally, and made them sit on a chair in one of the rooms (can't remember which mind :P ).

Of course, actors should only target those who are more brave-looking; I imagine that even after a small bit of experience, actors can quickly tell who are easily scared, and who are not, then take away those who are braver-looking.  

With the likes of The Passing, My Bloody Valentine/Experiment 10 and Cabin separating people, and indeed separating people who are in the same group, I see no reason why they can't try and do something similar with a conga-line maze! :)

These scare attractions that Thorpe Park have are supposed to be intense. If you're against people being split up, don't go in the attraction?

It'll say on any signs for an attraction that guests may be split up, so people shouldn't really be surprised if they do.

Taking people away to "suffer"? It's a theme park attraction, not a medieval prison! 

And about your last point... If people are scared of the attraction, that means it's working :)

No but if I get taken away and my group don't notice, they are going to be panicking like hell(if they care about me) when they get out and in not there! Don't think it's fair to take people away and if it happened on a regular basis, I can imagine lots of complaints flying about.

Certainly if I was taken away I would probably try and push and shove the actors away. Would then get kicked out the park and would be making a serious complaint that they took me away from their group. If they start to take people away, I am sure the actors will start getting a lot of physical abuse...

No but if I get taken away and my group don't notice, they are going to be panicking like hell(if they care about me) when they get out and in not there! Don't think it's fair to take people away and if it happened on a regular basis, I can imagine lots of complaints flying about.

Certainly if I was taken away I would probably try and push and shove the actors away. Would then get kicked out the park and would be making a serious complaint that they took me away from their group. If they start to take people away, I am sure the actors will start getting a lot of physical abuse...

It's part of the attraction, they tell you in the pre-brief speech and if you don't want to be split up then don't go in the attractions.  My personal preference is to stay with my group as it is more fun, but I understand that it is supposed to scare people more if they are on their own, and if it works well then they should carry on doing it.

If people are panicking then that shows that they have done their job properly!

Maybe they should round up some people in a room and say 'one/three/whatever of you can have the experience of a lifetime. They will be extras in The Motel and it is a chance to die for.....'

The three bravest are picked/volunteer and they then have a scary experience, maybe seeing the group again once or twice.

I'm overdoing it, aren't I?

I remember when Experiment 10 first opened and no one had a clue what it would be like.  There was no indication whatsoever of being split up, stuck in a small room by yourself or anything like that.  As far as everyone was concerned, it was your standard conga line maze.  Yet when in the maze, you get split from your group, isolated and maybe even spend the rest of the maze without the rest of your group, or maybe even by yourself for a while.

To my knowledge, there were very few complaints about the maze (if any!).  In my experiences, actors weren't abused, physically or verbally, when when they physically separated people into separate lines / directions.  You'd be very surprised how people react in such situations, especially since before going in the mazes, they (should) know that the experience will be extreme and anything can happen.

This is one reason I think (and have done for a while now) that the mazes at Thorpe should have an older recommended age to go in.  The mazes are intense, they are extreme - that's exactly what Thorpe are aiming for.  I know that when I was 13, I wouldn't have liked or even coped with the likes of MBV, Ex10 or The Passing, and I'm pretty sure others wouldn't either.  And if Thorpe want to make Fright Nights as extreme and 'adult' as possible, maybe upping to age restriction is the perfect thing to do - even if they don't change a thing to the mazes, it will create a different psychological reaction before going in the mazes.

I had that happen to a friend in Saw last year, he was picked off the back and made to go round the maze again! I really did think he had gotten into trouble with an actor lol.

Personally (if we get a conga-line maze), I'd love to see people just picked away from the group every so often and left to wait for another group / venture the maze alone.  Much scarier not knowing what's happened to the person who's been left behind!

Wow I love that maze the sets are just really great! And it's not one of those mazes where it's just pitch black!

Hate to be rude but... Stop complaining? Like I said, if you don't like being split up, don't bother going through an attraction that involves getting split up?

Your friends won't worry unless they're silly. It's a theme park attraction, nothing bad will happen to anyone, it's all fantasy. 

When me and my friends went in CITW, me and two others had to wait 4 or 5 minutes for the rest of the group, but we didn't care. We knew they were just inside, having fun. Other scare attractions all over the world have guests split up, nobody complains. Like I said earlier, everything has to be explained on signs before entering, so if a guest tries to complain about "being scared", they don't have a case.

Yep, I first went to Fright Nights when I was eleven and remember being distinctly unimpressed by The Curse and Hellgate  :lol:

They were both good mazes in their prime but I was expecting them to be... well... scary?  Although I do wish they would bring Hellgate back, as that was fab when it was on form (which it wasn't on my first go).

I guess I have always found non-actor based horror experiences (see Terror Castle at Fun City, Brean) scarier than horror mazes.  I do enjoy horror mazes as they are great fun and get my adrenaline pumping, but Experiment 10 is the only one that ever genuinely scared me.

I think that as long as people are forewarned, people of any age should be allowed to experience the Fright Night mazes, provided that they know what to expect.

My first Fright Night was 2010, and our first attraction has Hellgate. 

Looking back it was awful, but at the time it was so hilarious and actually kinda fun!

^ I agree about an 'any age' rule, but I think there should be a minimum. Or if they're under 12, they have to enter with a parent or guardian perhaps?

It's part of the attraction, they tell you in the pre-brief speech and if you don't want to be split up then don't go in the attractions.  My personal preference is to stay with my group as it is more fun, but I understand that it is supposed to scare people more if they are on their own, and if it works well then they should carry on doing it.

If people are panicking then that shows that they have done their job properly!

I went in all the mazes last year, at no point there was anything about getting taken away from your group in the conga mazes, saw and asylum. If it's going to happen, they need to make it a clear point.

Hate to be rude but... Stop complaining? Like I said, if you don't like being split up, don't bother going through an attraction that involves getting split up?

Your friends won't worry unless they're silly. It's a theme park attraction, nothing bad will happen to anyone, it's all fantasy. 

Well you ovbiously don't hate to be rude because you just were.. Everyone has their own opinion and that is mine, that's what the forums are here for, discussion. If you don't like my opinion, don't read this topic on the forum.