Logger's Leap

Garyy

Thanks for stating the obvious! Yes, obviously it is do-able; and in no occurrence did I say it wasn't; however things often change for various reasons. If a roof has to be replaced, Thorpe are not likely to look at it and go "Oh wow, we have to replace this roof lets just do it to keep Thorpe Park Mania happy" they have to look at the whole picture. It's like saying that Tesco are going to open a shop for the sake of opening a shop, it doesn't happen like that. They'll presumably be looking at the overall picture; if a roof has to be taken away and it gives more clearance between the ride and the roof, which in the long run is presumably more beneficial for the ride in general, even if it does come at the expense of the tunnel.

People on here seem to make it out like Thorpe are removing it for the sake of removing it; wake up people. Even Merlin aren't that stupid.

Surely the main point here is why the roof became so rotten that it HAS to be removed, rather than anything else?

The UK maintenance standards are absolutely pathetic, there's very little desire to keep up the appearance, here in lies the issue more, why don't our parks renovate these things more? Do they not care? Do they think the guests do not care? Do they not realise how little difference a nicely painted and well maintained park make to a guest?

Those are more important things to talk about instead of why it might be 'beneficial' for Loggers to lose it's roof...

People on here seem to make it out like Thorpe are removing it for the sake of removing it; wake up people. Even Merlin aren't that stupid.

I don't think that is really very fair at all, that is not what people are saying. If this is all true it may be the case that the roof as it is has to be removed so they are not doing it for the sake of it, the two points people are making are

- why could it not have been maintained before getting into the state where it is no longer safe? It has been visibly deteriorating for years so this will be no surprise.

- once they have removed it why not put another one there? It is hardly a massive job in the scheme of things and the drop in the dark is a fairly integral part of the overall ride experience.

People are just disappointed the park would allow this sort of thing to happen. You don't seem to be suggesting removal of the tunnel would improve the ride experience for guests, so why should it be allowed to happen? And if it does happen why should people not have the hump about it and vent here? Would be a weird bunch of enthusiasts if we didn't!

Thanks for stating the obvious! Yes, obviously it is do-able; and in no occurrence did I say it wasn't; however things often change for various reasons. If a roof has to be replaced, Thorpe are not likely to look at it and go "Oh wow, we have to replace this roof lets just do it to keep Thorpe Park Mania happy" they have to look at the whole picture. It's like saying that Tesco are going to open a shop for the sake of opening a shop, it doesn't happen like that. They'll presumably be looking at the overall picture; if a roof has to be taken away and it gives more clearance between the ride and the roof, which in the long run is presumably more beneficial for the ride in general, even if it does come at the expense of the tunnel.

End of the day, it has to be removed for some reason or other. It's Thorpe it's likely because they have sat there and been like oh the roof stuff can wait one more year and now they are trying to remove their feet from their mouths...

It's a common problem within Businesses, trying to prioritise budgets, if you would like me to give you a source for that I refer you to any AS level Business Studies book which contains a chapter on budgets. Might learn something.

You seem so sure of all this, maybe you would like to produce some sort of proof one day? I for sure will be waiting...

You seem so sure of all this, maybe you would like to produce some sort of proof one day? I for sure will be waiting...

Its quite difficult to provide proof for an opinion upon the post you've quoted of mine. With regards to space, thats from experience of having been evacuated. With regards to the rest, its just an opinion. I firmly believe, in my opinion, that, like you; this is happening for a reason and there is justifiable reasoning. But you can't exactly prove an opinion now..

I think the problem Thorpe seem to be having is there isn't really a department for ride upkeep.

There you go problem identified!

I believe somewhere like Legoland has a department dedicated to maintaining the lego models, why can't Thorpe have that with rides instead?

Really? That really shocks me, I went in 2008 with my niece and noticed that many of the bricks were discoloured, this year (4 years later) there is very little colour in most of the bricks and most of the effects in the Legocity which were working back in 2008 no longer worked and the Lego City looks worse for wear IMO. The City is now very out of date (No Shard and other new buildings) and the number of broken buildings.

Eve on opening day this year the Lego City looked a state so if they do have people to maintain attractions, they either don't have enough people, high enough budget or the priorities are else where. Maybe Merlin need to address this, but they are too busy opening up new parks an attractions all over the world which will give them a much higher return on their investment.

If a roof has to be replaced, Thorpe are not likely to look at it and go "Oh wow, we have to replace this roof lets just do it to keep Thorpe Park Mania happy" they have to look at the whole picture.

This is one thing which sticks out to me.

The current situation, as you describe it, is that the roof is rotting and collapsing; quite possibly beyond a state of repair. In other words, the roof / tunnel needs to go. So, they have two choices: remove it and replace it or just remove it.

On a log flume such as Loggers (ie one where there is little theming and it is just styled), the ride will be defined and remembered for by the drop / drops. Arguably, with Dragon Falls and Flume, they have a bit more than the drops to characterise them (Falls not so much, but that's a little beside the point in what I'm trying to say...). So, Loggers has two defining moments - the indoor drop, and the big, double drop. The drop will come as a surprise to many, as when the boats enter the tunnel, unless you pay loads of attention, you don't really realise it starts going up, and you don't know it goes down. Having no tunnel means that the surprise is gone. So, by not replacing the tunnel, guest experience will suffer. Guests who have been on the ride before will likely notice it, or at least think 'Well, this is different..' and may have negative effects from it, and first time guests will lose that 'shock factor'. So really, when Thorpe come to the decision to remove the roof, their immediate reaction - in my eyes - should be "Hey, we should replace the roof, let's do it to keep all our guests happy". Not only that, but it's the prime opportunity to make the tunnel better, easier to access and so forth.

To be honest, the removal of the tunnel wouldn't be as bad an issue for me if it wasn't a large part of the overall experience, however, it is. I just hope that if they do not replace it in any way, they at least do something to create a new experience on ride to compensate for one experience being lost.

• 2 months later...

I usually know where to look too, but since Saw has been built and the CCR was re-routed, I'm a little lost.

Anyway, back to the main point of conversation, and if Loggers has had some changes made for this year, then it's about time. The tunnel removal in some ways seems a great idea - takes me back to the days of the rock removal on Dragon Falls at Chessington, boy was that an improvement. On the other hand, keeping the tunnel there would be the best thing, it's one thing that makes the ride unique.