Logger's Leap

Garyy

It’s such a damn shame that they’re letting go of Loggers. I mean, we been knew it for years, but it doesn’t make the announcement any less upsetting. I’ll never forget having a tantrum on there on my sixth birthday, or my friend having a tantrum on there on my 12th birthday. What wonderful tantrums they were. 

Hopefully, Thorpe do away with the rocky express and whatever those little fairground rides are and develop a new area void of tacky IPs. I doubt it, but we can have hope. 

40 minutes ago, Whatever said:

It’s such a damn shame that they’re letting go of Loggers. I mean, we been knew it for years, but it doesn’t make the announcement any less upsetting. I’ll never forget having a tantrum on there on my sixth birthday, or my friend having a tantrum on there on my 12th birthday. What wonderful tantrums they were. 

Hopefully, Thorpe do away with the rocky express and whatever those little fairground rides are and develop a new area void of tacky IPs. I doubt it, but we can have hope. 

Ban Request.

EDIT - Further thought, replacing a Zierer Tivoli (presumably with a brand new one) is probably a lot less hassle than updating a 30 year old log flume, given the changes that have happened with legislation and the like...

It's like saying "Oh well THIS park is replacing it's decrepit 20 year old flat ride with a brand new one, why can't Y do this with their ride which is completely different?"

Still crap reasoning mind... But points to consider given the circumstances... 

Well, it was clearly a matter of time before the park had to drop the bomb that their former beloved log flume was never Coming back, especially with the numerous questions and complaints received during it’s ‘supposed’ mothballing. 

It is safe to say that the permanent closure of Loggers has been the park’s worst kept secret (as far as enthusiasts are concerned). It was clearly never going to come back, especially given the work and maintenance  needed, not to mention the fact literally nothing was done after the end of the 2015 season.

Whilst Thorpe’s announcement has (finally) put closure on Loggers Leap’s, the communication and manner they went about this has been appalling. If it wasn’t coming back, they should have been completely honest during the 2016 season and confessed it then. Or perhaps more importantly, Thorpe and Merlin should have actually invested and budgeted upgrading the attraction to ensure it could continue to operate properly for years to come. It would have definitely been money better spent than their Ghost Train!

Unfortfunately, I get the impression that whatever replaces the attraction/area won’t be happening for several years, let alone the fact it will be a worthwhile replacement. Following falling guest numbers and the failure of DBGT, I get the impression Merlin are investing less in the park for now until there are signs of improvement!

I wish to remember the ride in it’s positive state and not the embarrassment of it’s closure. I always thoroughly enjoyed riding Loggers, from my first rides in the mid/late nineties upto whenever my last go in 2015 was. It’s (original) surprise first drop, beautiful lake location and double drop towards Canada Creek made for some of the best memories of the ride for me and ones I’ll never forget on this former classic.

R.I.P Loggers Leap 

1989-2015

1 hour ago, Loggers Creek said:

Whilst Thorpe’s announcement has (finally) put closure on Loggers Leap’s, the communication and manner they went about this has been appalling. If it wasn’t coming back, they should have been completely honest during the 2016 season and confessed it then. 

Dont think it’s that simple - think the park genuinely did want it to return, but were not able to to secure the budget for it to do so. A lot of people talk about how it’s been “left to rot” but in reality apart from a few overgrown trees it’s probably not in much worse state than it was on its last day of operation - just the modifications which it requires are deemed not worth it unfortunately.

How old does a ride need tobe to be considered for a heritage attraction??

Dont get me wrong I get the ride most likely will be demolished. But as the history of thorpe goes it was the first major attraction at the park.

I would give allot to see thorpe forced to stop demolision and reconsider. 

3 hours ago, RobF said:

I would give allot to see thorpe forced to stop demolision and reconsider. 

Never gonna happen. Things need to change for the sake of progress and as "The nations thrill capital" something had to make way. Just weird they took so long with the announcement and with no future plans for the area in mind.

If I could have it my way. I would like to see them install a coaster that interacts with natural habitat. Perhaps follows the route of logger leap with some deviations to the layout.

I mean, there were arguably rides which were major that opened before Loggers - namely Space Station Zero and Thunder River.

And yeah, as much as I like Loggers, I don't really see the need for it be made a heritage site. That's crazy tbh

5 hours ago, Marley said:

If I could have it my way. I would like to see them install a coaster that interacts with natural habitat. Perhaps follows the route of logger leap with some deviations to the layout.

I've always felt that if a coaster replaces Loggers, having a double-down element where the main drop was would be pretty cool. Following the entire route sounds a bit too much, but I think that'd be a pretty neat nod and a cool thing in itself.

I'm sorry but we really don't need any more people or companies try to flaunt their Princess Diana association just to try look virtuous. If Princess Diana ate a pizza somewhere once they'd have probably tried to rename themselves Diana Pizzeria by now. Maybe that's unfair to say because it's true the pictures of her on Loggers Leap were more well known. But really all that matters is that millions of people a year enjoyed riding Loggers Leap.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Marc said:

A lot of people talk about how it’s been “left to rot” but in reality apart from a few overgrown trees it’s probably not in much worse state than it was on its last day of operation - just the modifications which it requires are deemed not worth it unfortunately.

That's true for most of it, but I'm almost certain a lot of the mechanical plant would need replacing or heavy servicing by now. Machines don't work well if left unusued for so long especially out in the elements. That's why every year they left it, the less likely it became. The alterations being deemed "not worth it" is highly debatable. That was always the way Merlin were going to see it and it's their cynical policy towards any attraction without 'new PR' value, which is (let's be honest) sadly all those holding the pursestrings care about, not guest experience.

I'm sure Thorpe Park wanted it back and wanted the money to get it up again, but couldnt convince Merlin.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, Coaster said:

That's a disgrace.  The only reason it lost its magic is because they left it to rot and didn't maintain it properly!

Sadly this is the trick Merlin pull time and time again. I hear it reliably that Bubbleworks (and by the look of it Hocus Pocus too) was deliberately made to be worse by essentially banning (already low budget) projects to fix the effects in its last years, but still granting it to be badly relit in bright  LED for its final season—looked horrendous! And of course the claim was "lost their magic". That way the new rides would seem better by sheer comparison, no matter what they were (wasn't hard anyway after the Imperial Leather revamp!)

8 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

That's true for most of it, but I'm almost certain a lot of the mechanical plant would need replacing or heavy servicing by now. Machines don't work well if left unusued for so long especially out in the elements. That's why every year they left it, the less likely it became. The alterations being deemed "not worth it" is highly debatable. That was always the way Merlin were going to see it and it's their cynical policy towards any attraction without 'new PR' value, which is (let's be honest) sadly all those holding the pursestrings care about, not guest experience.

I'm sure Thorpe Park wanted it back and wanted the money to get it up again, but couldnt convince Merlin.

Yeha your right actually - didn’t think of them parts things like water pumps etc will almost certainly be no good by this point.

I didn’t mean the alterations were not worth it - personally believe they would have been and it’s a shame it’s not to be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Coaster said:

Here's a gem from 2016;

1008055286_loggerswillbeback.JPG.35401068e8435780470463d1224122c6.JPG

"It is going to be refurbished it's just going to take a while but it WILL be back better than ever."

They lied.

That is most definitely the worst lie to come out of 2016, that's for sure.

2016 was a year of far too many lies going on. 

The sad factor is the park could’ve saved the ride from closure if they had been willing to spend proper maintenance and safety upgrades, the ride could still be running today. 

It was still remarkably popular and one of the best family attractions in Thorpe and maybe the U.K., amongst still being iconic to the park in many ways. 

Unfortunately it is likely to take just as long (if not longer) for a replacement attraction to open than the time it has been rotting away. Not only in the hindsight of lack of planning, but the fact the park might not receive a major investment for at least three years due Merlin cutting the park’s budget capex. 

4 hours ago, Benin said:

Most parks don't just let rides fall into disrepair though...

But Merlin don't care unless they can market it... I mean they nearly killed Colossos (not that I rate it)...

Loggers didn’t closed because it was in disrepair though - it was more because im guessing they didn’t get the budget to make all the modifications which falls has seen. I do fully believe at its time of closing the plan was genuinely to reopen it.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

I thought this ride was going to have an auction of some kind last month?

Oh yeah.... why do they say these things and assume nobody will notice when it doesnt actually happen

But I mean what was there to auction anyway, some old signs and that's it. Its just another episode of silly