February Half Term 2015

Marc

I would say though that Christmas events (especially at Legoland) are more focused upon things other than creds being open...

Though of course, back in the day they did have the rides open during their Christmas events, but that was over a decade ago, so it's a moot point...

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on park now with a few members and here's what I've got to report so far.

1/ Only Swarm,Stealth, Angry Birds Land (no Detonator), Depth Charge Fish & Tea Cups are open. Everything else is closed (even X & Inferno).

2/ Braniac is in the lakeside marquee building and there's another stand near Angry Birds 4D with experiments

3/ Bar 360 is closed and appears to be going under a new name Fins Grill by the looks

4/

Swarm & Stealth are both on one train (no surprises there)

Currently on park now with a few members and here's what I've got to report so far.

1/ Only Swarm,Stealth, Angry Birds Land (no Detonator), Depth Charge Fish & Tea Cups are open. Everything else is closed (even X & Inferno).

2/ Braniac is in the lakeside marquee building and there's another stand near Angry Birds 4D with experiments

3/ Bar 360 is closed and appears to be going under a new name Fins Grill by the looks

4/

Swarm & Stealth are both on one train (no surprises there)

What're queue like???

No detonator is a bit of a let down after angry birds land was advertised... Didn't expect loads of rides to be open, but X is a weird one considering it's indoors, a bit silly really. As what you've described isn't busy, maybe they have other rides on standby like detonator in case the park gets busier (well they'll know as it's prebook only). Should be visiting Wednesday and will be next Saturday, shall have to see.

I have to say that was one of the best days I've had on park for a while! Even though half the park was closed.... happy staff always make the day just that bit more fun!! Ive posted a list of changes I noticed around the park here if anyone wanted to see them: 

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news/closed-season-changes-around-thorpe-park

So far quite a good/promising start to the season and to see so many improvements so far (before its proper opening) is definitely a good sign hopefully.

Plus every ride today seemed to be running very reliably with no (foreseen) breakdowns, except Flying fish which got stuck round it's track at least twice.

Braniac was also very good.

Stealth and Swarm on one train wasn't a problem at all. They never got more than 3/4 trains waits from what I saw. Flying Fish stalled twice though (maybe more) which was quite funny! 

Braniac show is still good but to anyone who went and saw it last Easter it is essentially the same show. 

Oh, and The Dome is weird without the stage and screens in the way as you walk in.

Despite my original negative attitude to this event, it seems to be getting good reviews and if it continues to be empty throughout the week I will definitely consider visiting.

The Brainiac show sounds good and loads of rides on swarm and stealth would be great. If queue times keep to a minimum I may pop down for a nice trip :)

Only negative so far is that Detonator was apparently originally advertised however isn't open. However, that doesn't bother me too much and it will be interesting to see if they add an extra ride to the line up if there is one ready or enough demand throughout the week.

With regards to Detonator...

When the park first advertised the event, they did indeed say 'Stealth, Swarm, Angry Birds Land and others...' (which did imply Detonator).  However, when the full line up was announced, they did not include Detonator (instead, saying 'Stealth, Swarm, Angry Birds 4D, Dodgems, Depth Charge and Flying Fish').  So, the most recent line up always suggested that Detonator wasn't going to be open, so shouldn't have been expected to be open really.

It doesn't sound anywhere near as busy as Alton Towers, although I guess with this being a new event it won't be. To offer a comparison, Nemesis had a 35 minute wait yesterday at its peak (on one train), with Spinball at 30 and CBeebies Land around 15-30. Air, which was running 2 trains however, was barely 5 minutes.

Hopefully the event at Thorpe Park will be popular enough in order for them to develop it in future! I went down to TP back in the days of February events of the late 00s but it was awful... this does sound better, but the lack of rides open doesn't yet warrant the 2 hour drive for me.

Here is the question though, is the event good because there's barely anyone there in the same vein as Summer Nights?

Are people not bothering with paying for an event with only two major rides open? Is the AP charge the reason for the lack of queues?

Just playing Devils' Advocate here really, as visits to empty parks or ones where the ride count is high often get more positive reviews...

Benin, I believe you have hit the nail on the head here.

The only reason I am considering visiting this week is because of the lack of queues, if the event was busy I doubt annual pass holders would be forking out £5 when they can experience the whole park for free weeks later.

£15-£20 is pretty hefty for only 6 rides open and a show, and £5 is on the urge of being ridiculous for annual pass holders. HOWEVER, due to the good show, relaxed atmosphere and no queues it seems to shape up to be a good day out from what I've heard.