Air

Dan9

It was supposed to be an oasis of calm full of lush foliage, waterfalls and pools rather than the bare concrete tunnel and corrugated tin roof effect we have now.

I have always said though, having been on a couple of the bigger flyers, that air is just the right intensity to give the best sensation for the ride type. Although I'd rather like to try starry rippier or whatever it's called.

• 10 months later...

I believe Air's theoretical capacity is 52 craft per hour = 1456, so 1500 isn't actually possible. That said, Air is one of the highest throughput coasters in the UK in terms of what it actually achieves - realistically only Nemesis can beat it, or occasionally Oblivion on a really good day. As a result the queues really haven't been too bad for it recently, I don't think I've seen it with a queue of more than 20 minutes on any of my trips so far this year, and that includes a day with over 18000 people on park.

The stations operate separately, they just send the next train as soon as it's ready - there's no benefit in holding up a train that's ready to go just to keep the stations in sync. It all depends on how efficient the staff are and whether or not any seats have to be rechecked.

If everything is running smoothly there should always be a significant gap between trains being dispatched and the next train entering the station (on both sides) - there should never be a train waiting outside the station.

The problem with air is once you get batched to either station the trains are then only leaving every other one, plus with the disabled queue going into the left side... So that's probably why it feels slower moving.

The difference in queue speed isn't quite that significant as once you've got that far fastrack users aren't cutting ahead of you any more.

The disabled access is a bit of a nightmare though - the disabled queue only goes to the far station, but when running 3 trains they then arrive on the right hand side so wheelchair users can't get out without crossing the track and leaving the way they came in. They should probably have put a lift in somewhere.

Air is the only ride where you go slower after merge points - crafts are sent every 3 minutes from one station if they're on 3 trains (that's time waiting for the craft to arrive, plus time waiting for the craft ahead to leave lifthill). Obviously before merge you have both stations, so you have 2 crafts every 3 minutes. Obviously Fastrack can slow it down, however it shouldn't do so too much (Fastrack for Air is 20% of capacity, and rarely sells out nowadays).

I find the fastracks at Alton to be worse. Air and the smiler fastrack really make me angry when queuing. Although that could be down to the seemingly more disabled guests using the ride exits/ special entrances. 

fast tracks are the bain of my life. every where I go I hate them and Alton is not as bad I think compared to Thorpe

• 11 months later...

So, Air is getting a wee spruce up, combined with the Food Loop restaurant next year...

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=84554

Some notes:

• Lots of work on the station, including walls and curtains to keep light out
  • Potential tunnel stuff to be added
  • Two theming elements, one on lift hill and the other free-standing
  • Queueline photo kiosk (URGHHHHHH WHY?)

Also, with the shop currently have a FIRE! SALE! and things at 50% off, could we see a retheme? Possibly not, but at least there's a spruce-up going on... Now we just need Nemmie to get some love (and RMT, and Flume retheme, and Dark Forest, and CCL, etc)

Given there's going to be a green screen photo op point in the queue line, I'm expecting a retheme.  Air's current theme doesn't lend itself to having a worthwhile photo point like that in my opinion, so a photo point like that must be tied into a new theme / a sponsor for the ride.  The half price sale has been going on for a while on Air merch (it was at the AT meet last month), so has been on sale longer than Rita QoS merch was in 2009.

The theming and station enhancements don't excite me that much. The one of the lift hill is essentially just a large, very thin, hole that you go through (potential sponsor point?!), and the other seems too small to be of anything of note.  Still nice to see things happening though of course.  Station enhancements should at least give it a bit more atmosphere for whatever they've got planned.  

Edited by JoshC.

Bit will we lose the delightful tin roof flyover? Or the bare chainlink fence/carpark combo turnaround? Or the maintenance area fly past finale?

I couldn't be more for improvements to existing rides, but I hope they take the opportunity to do it properly. It must be a sponsorship, either that or Merlin have taken a most unexpected and welcome change of tack when it comes to their ride upkeep.