Legoland

NickD

Popped into Legoland this morning as I had yet to visit this year. I had forgotten it was the Duplo Valley opening but it didn't make the park any busier (was quite quiet for the 3 hours I was there). Got a nice soaking on Vikings and Pirate Falls and a very efficient three train operation on The Dragon. Some areas of the park are looking great but some are looking 15 years old, especially Mini Land which could do with a serious paint (hopefully this is on there list of things to do as they only ever seem to re-do areas at the moment).

Duplo Valley looks great (for its target audience). The old water area by the helicopters is now a dry play area and up on the hill where the golf once laid is this pretty spectacular water tower. I caught the large bucket emptying and it really encases the tower. Yes the blocks are brightly coloured and kind of an eye sore from the entrance area but it is Duplo, big and colourful Lego. Overall I think it will be successful but only in summer months, like most water attractions in England. At least we got some nice new models and animatronics on Fairy Tale Brook.

I'm not keen on Legoland - far too overpriced and the throughputs of most of the rides is dire, and there is need there for a big throughput.

Never seen The Dragon running three trains though, is this new this year?

Dragons always been running on three trains I think but until recently was likely only for busy days.

In terms of ride throughputs, the park is very mixed. There's rides like Atlantis, Jolly Rocker and Viking Rapids which really munch and if they ave queues often move very fast but then there's attractions like Boating School, Sky Ride and Laser Raiders which have terrible thoughts and doubt the first two exceed 300 on a busy day. If the train ride there used two locomotives (only uses one), it could be pretty good at throughput.

Legoland is great when the park is empty.

But for me the worst ride has to be the Jolly Rocker, this rule about Adults either end makes the whole thing a disaster, people getting split up and having to pull extra adults from further down the queue. Yesterday it took nearly 10 mins to load it up. You don't get this at Chessington and its the same ride. I understand the small kids can fall out and that is why it is done, but can't they get the ride modified?

For those new to Legoland and the Fairy Tale Brook, I think the changes will be well welcomed.

However, for someone who has grown up with the ride like me, I feel slightly saddened by this new version. I am thrilled to see so much attention given to the ride but what with the lack of original music etc, and the oddly placed models, it is just doesn't cut the cake for me.

Shame.

EDIT: The effects on the other hand, top notch!

Did they get rid of the troll bridge? That's a shame.

Overall, I don't have a problem with these changes. I think it's great that a little attraction with ( I imagine) very little profit is done up like this. Admittedly the voices are interesting, and pieces we remember have gone, but the fact that perhaps my favourite ride in Legoland still gets some love, is a nice thought.

Have to admit, I've got mixed reviews on this ride. What I like about the new one is the fresh clean models, the animatronics and effects and that the ride still appears enjoyable.

What I don't like about the new one is some of the model dialogue which I feel detracts from the charm and experience slightly too. Although I expect the children may like that. Secondly, I find some of the newer scenes lacking the previous humorous charm of the original ones (the whisk and mobile phone) and also the goats have vanished. Also though the new music sounds nice, I do slightly miss the old one which had great charm to it (as well as my childhood).

Overall, though I'm mostly impressed with the re-work of the ride. But as good as lot of it is, I do admit the changes are quite a big punch in the stomach of my childhood days there.

What I want to know is what have they done with the goat in the hammock listening to his Walkman. That was one of the best bits!

Also the sounds effects from Aladdin's Cave have gone which is somewhat disappointing.

Still, it is great to see such an old attraction receive some love. It is now now clean, fresh and awaiting the next generation of children.

Probably out back somewhere now.

The park is looking far far better the past couple of years, really pumped investment into making sure things are working and looking fresh. Areas have audio now, new lego models, working lego models.

As for throughputs, it's really a park in two halves. Go down the right hand side (VRS, Dragon, Falls, Spider, Rocker if loaded quickly) and that's throughput central with the lowest being 600 for falls. Other side of the park barely gets 200 people an hour on most attractions.

Dragon got it's third train in 2010, it's very good if run well. Just need the staffing to ensure that (lego don't enjoy spending on staffing)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I totally forgot about this and only remembered when cleaning up my iTunes today.

Wasn't sure whether you had liked the actual area theme or the Laser Raiders queue so I've uploaded both and enabled download.

You're welcome 1

You're welcome 2

Credit to Kabir for the recording (even though it was 3 years ago you can have the credit ;) ) and I don't recall where I got the Laser Raiders sample from...

• 3 weeks later...