Alton Towers News

Dan9

• 5 months later...

http://www.altontowers.com/events/half-term/

Alton Towers have announced some details about next year's February half term event. Much like Chessie did over the some, Alton host the Moshi Monsters during the half term. The ride line up is also up, which includes:

Air

Nemesis

Blade

Sonic Spinball

Duel

Hex

Runaway Mine Train

Ice Age 4D

Sharkbait Reef

Along with many of the rides for younger children.

No Oblivion or any X-Sector rides this time a round, which isn't surprising really, as I assume the whole area will be shut off to be kept a secret as much as possible / to allow for any spruce ups to the area to happen (if they happen, of course..). Surprised in a way Sub Terra isn't there though; I'd have thought all the dark rides would be included during the half term.

Dark Forest is never open early though, maybe the Hydraulics on the two attractions do not like the cold weather... Not a surprise that X Sector will not be open though...

I wondered if this could be related, but then Stealth was one of the few rides thorpe actually managed to get working in February :P

Rides working at Thorpe in February?

Arguable... But considering the state of Thorpe during their Half Term times, it's too difficult to judge... The different temperatures that affect the two parks (due to location, etc) will effect each a lot differently, it's a strange one, although I'd imagine if it was really cold Thirteen and Rita would be much more likely to stall...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

942843_531779296881509_119874358_n.jpg

Officially from Theme Park Logic:

Breaking News: Oblivion could be due for a lengthy time closed due to the lift hill chain snapping yesterday at 10:15am

and from Towers Times:

Alton Towers have confirmed on their website that The Smiler is still unavailable. On the positive side of things however, parts of the Towers ruins are now open for guests to explore!

Since when did chains snap? That doesn't sound like theme park "logic" to me.

Must be more complex than that. Oblivion was out of action for a while last year as well, also because of a lift hill problem...

Lift chains can and do snap... Enough wear on them after constant operation will cause potential weakening of the material, like in any situation... Moreso with the chains because they are constantly changing speeds as well... Shock absorption could be a major culprit in some cases if the ride runs onto the lift like Inferno...

Not too regular an incident, but I've seen it happen mid season...

Officially posted by towers street's facebook page :D

Alton Towers have confirmed to us that last year's new maze The Sanctuary and Terror of the Towers will return at Scarefest.
To allow for construction of the mazes, The Towers will close to the public on 11th August, with the chapel remaining open throughout.