Samurai

Phill

The fact that samurai couldn't stop without taking 2 mins left me very disappointed after riding- we got on with absolutely no queue and asked for a great setting, they didnt even listen to us and decided to give us one of the worst settings I have ever experienced! It went round really slowly and only went round 2 times. It then took an age to stop and centre itself. After going on a good ride on saw(with 0 mins queue) we went back to samurai to see if we could get a longer ride! We came over seeing that samurai was doing the annoying thing where it takes an age to centre itself and joined the queue(there wasnt a queue but we had to wait till the next ride). A member of the ride team came over to us and told us that we had to leave the queue because of "rain problems." The matter of fact is that it wasn't even raining and we watched the ride for another 5 mins and it wasn't going down and it was closed for the rest of the day.

I think that samurai needs to be fixed for next season because without the faffing about, it can still only get a rubbish throughput of 500 people an hour! Also it was very disappointing that the park lied to us like that and didn't tell us what the problem actually was. Also samurai over the season has been opening at some really random times, once I got into the park at 9:30(park opening at ten) and everything was closed except samurai which had an opening time of 9:00 which was rather strange, the weird thing was though there were only a few people in the queue(less than 15) and they weren't bothering about the fact that there must be 15 people per ride. Also other times it has opened at 3:30pm and once it opened at 5:00pm when the park was closing at six. It also closed once at 12:00 and then seemed to reopen for the last half hour of the day. The weird thing is it says that it is going to close and open at these times so it must have some sort of works going on. Very strange indeed...

It's random opening times were probably because it was broken... The park will try and get 100% open rides (although they don't do this regularly), and at least with an hour to go they're still aiming to open it, rather than not bother...

And the park didn't lie about why it was broken, it just didn't tell anyone, because they don't have to actually tell the guests what the problem is, don't wanna cause rumours being spread around via social media...

As far as I'm aware Topscans aren't really designed to handle the number of guests that Thorpe throws at Samurai, so it's not really any wonder that as Samurai ages it's running in to more and more difficulties. Of course, this may have nothing to do with its problems, but as Benin said the park don't HAVE to tell guests what is wrong with it.

Personally I don't have a huge issue with its downtime, I rarely ride it because I get thrown around in the seat too much and often come off it with a headache :P

I like it when it takes ages to stop because it feels like I am on the ride longer but to reduce queue times and increase throughput I think it definitely needs to be improved. After they did the big fix just before Fright Nights it was working fine and then it started to do the thing where it takes ages to stop.

It is my favourite flat ride in the park so I hope they do, do something about it and not leave it to just get worse and then have to close it because there is no point trying to fix it when it is broken that bad.

I like it when it takes ages to stop because it feels like I am on the ride longer

Yeah, it's great fun just not doing anything but move slowly backwards and forwards, or maybe very very slowly go all the way around to find position.

I definitely class that as ride time.....

You must love oblivion with 4 shuttles, one station open then!

I have never been on a topscan at a funfair, the fairs where I am aren't big enough for ride like that.

Where are you at? I can suggest some fairs which have good possibility of having funfair topscans. However, the only Topscan I've ever been on is xtreme(rieger) at villacher kirchtag,Austria. It is much better on a funfair Topscan but much crazier so if you don't really like craziness I don't reccomend going on it!

Yes that's true, merlin parks don't have the wide range of rides funfairs do! You will never see something like 2extreme or a booster at a merlin park! You must try them funfair rides are much better than the ones at theme parks and you get much longer ride time! Winter wonderland is expensive but if you visit somewhere else your only paying £3/4 a ride and if you go to a John Davis funpark you can get on everything unlimited times for only £7.99! This includes rock rage, tango, super spin and a booster which are all epic and you can ride as many times as you like!

Definately worth a visit,mate funfairs are a completely different experience!

http://www.johndavisfunfairs.co.uk/funpark.html

The funpark is definately worth a visit, he tours around the country and brings out rides like energy storm and the ones I've listed above etc.

I know what you mean and I honestly prefer theme parks for rollercoasters. However, if you wanna experience flat rides fun fairs is where you need to go! Thorpe park 1979 said that he could go on the same or better rides at merlin parks but the matter of fact is you can't go on the same ones!

It really depends where you go, but generally funfairs have rides which are better run.

For instance showtime and vortex are both kmg afterburners but showtime is much scarier and spins much faster!

TopBuzz and samurai are both mondial Topscans but TopBuzz is run much faster and spins faster than samurai does.

Ultimately if you want a ride on a good Topscan you either go to a funfair or ask for a good setting and get it on samurai(barely ever happens!)

Anyway, we are going off the point of samurai here, what I would like to see for next season is samurai upgraded or removed. I would much rather a zierer starshape being in the place of it. Unless samurai is upgraded or run at its full potential, I would personally like to see it demolished soon and replaced with a better ride(zierer starshape, speed flip, superstar etc.)

I had an idea for a double ended zierer starshape, it would be operated like a fabbri booster is, loading and unloading one side then going round slowly and doing the other side, it would then be run up to speed with both end arms rotating different ways and the centre arm rotating in one direction!

I reckon loading would be about the same as samurai or vortex takes and the ride time could be the same as samurai meaning that it would get double the throughput as it has 60 people per ride, I think it would be a real hit but zierer will need to make it first :P

Usually the reason you don't see flat rides commonly appearing at fairs (like Boosters let's say) is because of their dire throughput and design to be transported rather than permanent (see Samurai)...

Tbh, fairs are fairs, and whilst their rides are run faster, it's because they are temporary fixtures... Theme parks must think long term, and as such, cannot afford to run rides at extreme speeds and long settings, otherwise they'd potentially break after a while and become a maintenace burden (like Samurai)...

Look at how Blackpool had both a Zierer Starshape and two (to make up for lack of throughput) Fabbri Boosters, both are now gone (though Bling suffered from the closure of the South Entrance in my opinion more), which goes to show that not all flat rides would be successful in a theme park environment just because they are good at the fair circuit... Two different parts of the same industry...

I had an idea for a double ended zierer starshape, it would be operated like a fabbri booster is, loading and unloading one side then going round slowly and doing the other side, it would then be run up to speed with both end arms rotating different ways and the centre arm rotating in one direction!

I reckon loading would be about the same as samurai or vortex takes and the ride time could be the same as samurai meaning that it would get double the throughput as it has 60 people per ride, I think it would be a real hit but zierer will need to make it first :P

The capacity may be doubled but the throughput would not as it would take a long time loading both ends like on a booster. Basically, no.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting worried now...

I really hope we see samurai returning for 2013 as I have not been on since August and I am feeling desperate to ride...

I just really want a good setting so better ask for one!

I don't want samurai being removed anytime soon but I have a feeling it will because samurai and slammer are both so unreliable!

Thorpe please fix them not remove them :(

I know it was fixed for fright nights but was that just a temporary fix to keep the crowds diverted from other rides so queues weren't so long and also to please guests saying 'samurai is open!'

My worry is that this is a long term thing which they could only temporary fix and hence why they dismantled it only thinking that they could run it for a couple of weeks before it was completely broken! However, I hope this is not e case and all they were doing is adding a new motor etc. to upgrade performance :P

If I see slammer and samurai back next year, I will spend a whole day riding them :)

I know it was fixed for fright nights but was that just a temporary fix to keep the crowds diverted from other rides so queues weren't so long and also to please guests saying 'samurai is open!'

My worry is that this is a long term thing which they could only temporary fix and hence why they dismantled it only thinking that they could run it for a couple of weeks before it was completely broken! However, I hope this is not e case and all they were doing is adding a new motor etc. to upgrade performance :P

If I see slammer and samurai back next year, I will spend a whole day riding them :)

They've dismantled Samurai many times before during open season. It doesn't mean impending removal, it means they're fixing it.

when they closed samurai to fix it, there was a sign saying closed, open again for 2013 season... and they did it quick enough to open it for fright nights, so I'm pretty sure the repair/maintenance was more of a permanent fixture.