Europa Park

MikeC

From EuropaStreet today:

Europa-Park have begun ground work this week for their new 9.3acre staff car park. The new parking area will have 1,100 spaces and be fully landscaped with planting. You can see the location from the photo, which was taken by Bernhard Rein for the Badische Zeitung newspaper. Could this leave the smaller parking area behind Blue Fire for future development?

11041035_1560119084253263_83792644544889

:)

Not doing a trip report so random thoughts:

General:

• I knew from previous trips that Europa was a great park but I think I forgot the extent of that. It's a park where everything is just done right. It looks beautiful (and their workforce of gardeners and mechanics seem to always be visible), rides run like clockwork, it's reasonably and I enjoy simply being in the park.
  • Even as a 'grizzled fanboy', I picked one thing to do in the park and normally ended up getting distracted by a dozen other attractions along the way. There is so much to do and it's brilliant.
  • The seastorm upgrade is ridiculous. I normally don't care about spin and spew rides at all but this is now excellent and I hope Feria Swinger next door gets the same treatment.
  • Sounds kind of dumb to say this but the rides revolved around fun and British parks in particular forget this at times. Even on the park's 'scariest' attractions, I normally end up laughing all the way around. Except back row Euro Mir. Pure terror.
  • I was worried that blue fire would feel flat after Helix. It isn't as good but it's sufficiently different. The launch has a decent kick, the tophat thing is funky, I love the hangtime in the loop and the last inversion is monstrous.
  • Wodan is completely different now to its opening year. Both the throughput and the ride seem to have sped massively. Where it once died out around the Atlantica turnaround, it now throws you mercilessly throws you around. The ORP point is now one of the scariest parts of the ride.

Arthur:

• I hadn't followed construction - other than knowing it had been delayed - or watched POVs, etc. After my first ride, I was more impressed with the ride system rather than the actual ride. I think this still holds true however like most of Europa's rides, it has grown on me. I still wanted to go on half a dozen times so I guess that's evidence I enjoy it.
  • Unlike Peter Pan, you are actually aware you are underneath the track. This was a big plus for me.
  • The station is beautiful. Shoutout to those Mul Muls.
  • I was surprised but how fast the trains can accelerate/decelerate.
  • Some of the animatronics such as the rat are really impressive, whereas some already look dated.
  • I think the pacing of the ride would be way better if the first outside section was actually inside.
  • I think the first section of the ride is far weaker than the second section. Paradise Alley onwards is great.
  • WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT SPIDER THING BY THE DELI. Europa you are so weird sometimes.
  • Ultimately I think the ride system is a great cheaper alternative to the Forbidden Journey system but I think the requirement of lockers will put some parks off which is a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully going to Europa Park in one month or so!

Just a quick question, what are they like with onride filming? Are gopros with chest straps allowed on the rollercoasters?

I'm sure I'll have some more requests but being a first timer to this park, it will be particularly interesting to explore this park and see what it has to offer and to find any hidden gems! The park certainly looks amazing from the few videos I have seen so to say I am excited may be a slight understatement :)

• 3 weeks later...

Also, new 4D show <3

So I've just returned from a(nother) great weekend at EP, and have to call out "The Time Carousel 4D" as something special. Funny and charming in equal measure (even with a small language barrier), it's deeply impressive that the Park have invested in a second bespoke movie only 4 years after the first.

Very few Parks create a Park-specific animation, and even the mighty mouse's "Mickey's Philharmagic" (which I also love) has been running for c.12 years without an update or change at Magic Kingdom.

Lots of references to the Mack family and in-jokes about the Park, with world-class 3D animation and the whole roster of 4D effects in the wonderfully old-school Magic Cinema... I loved it.

The Time Carousel is the sequel to the Secret of Balthasar Castle in the 4D theatre. I didn't think it was possible for the park to have a 2nd custom movie made that was better than the 1st but it is! You meet Gustav Eiffel in Paris for one, and the tower is half built. Quite amusing. There's also plenty of references to Mack Rides and the history of the company. It was just great! Well worth seeing in the beautifully designed Magic Cinema.

^ This.

Really only there for a day?

Bear in mind that the park will extend it's hours if it's busy, useful should it be busy...

Probably best if you're a normal guest to start from Silver Star and work your way through the park... Depends if you want to ride all the coasters...

A single day is not enough to take in Europa...

That sucks....

Start at Silver Star then and work your way across the park/creds (France-Swiss-Greece-Russia-Iceland-Portugal-Austria-Arthur would be my route)... Longest queues will be Blue Fire and Wodan, which both have single rider queues (as does Arthur), so there's some solace in that you don't have to directly worry about hitting them first thing...

Ensure you also see the new 4D Show, Abenteur Atlantis, Fluch der Kassandra, Columbus Dinghy and the Diamond Mine walkthrough... Any of the tacky dark rides are also highly recommended...

Well one day is much better than no days at all (so wanna go here).

Europa is probably a park that needs 3 days to cover it properly (4-5 if busy times).

On another note, there planning another hotel with a Scandinavian theme which will be located near where the waterpark is going.