Dragon Falls

I might be being cynical but the way I read the retheme statement is that theyre not going to invest enough to reinstate the previous theming, so this is a little marketing sop to suggest that suggest it's a new 'concept' rather than a hatchet job.

Why do I get the feeling that we could be seeing plywood painted with Buddha faces around the drop? This just seems very much a way to dress up a 'we're not spending much on this' situation.

In terms of a ride re theme, here's what I would like to see (not that it would ever happen though).

The ride entrance remains the same as now but refreshed with the queueline based around an oriental garden. The station will be themed around a giant temple or pagoda. Once the boats leave the station, there will be new bits of theming like samurai s and dragons.

The first lift hill will be themed with a rock face and the tunnel it enters will be themed as a cave. Once the ride reaches the 2nd lift, it will enter a giant dragon mouth at the top. The top section will be mostly/completely indoors with rocks beneath the lift (again).

Once the ride reaches the drop, it will either emerge from another dragon head or go under an arch to deliver some great interaction both off and on ride. After splashing, the ride will return to the station like it does.

There could also be a light story of riders finding a lost mysterious dragon to save a Chinese town (or something) but few ever returning.

Believe it or not, people have actually done Dragon Falls backwards already. If you are old enough to remember Michael Barrymore's 'My Kind of Music' (I think it was...) they showed clips of the ride with people sat round going backwards!

Are you actually allowed to sit backwards if you want to? Some log flumes ACTUALLY have reverses so it turns the whole car round and you are doing part of the ride backwards and part of the ride forwards. It is actually quite a good idea, stick a reverser before the first drop and do that backwards then another reverser after it so you can do the second drop forwards. The only thing is, having reversers massively reduce throughput!

Two prime examples of flumes that reverse you in this country are Valhalla and Storm Force 10. Both though have larger boats so throughput isn't affected to bad and they are very efficient. They do add a nice bit of variety to the ride and especially on Storm Force 10 surprise quite a few people who sit at the back thinking they won't get to wet but end up getting drenched (this is from personal experience :P )

The best retheme they could do is to put one or even better two properly themes dark sections in the ride. Something once you go into the dragons mouth and something on the slow bit before 2nd drop. Something not too major like Pirate Falls at Legoland would be fine. Presumably it can't happen on the pre drop because of weight limit. Can dream though!

Believe it or not, people have actually done Dragon Falls backwards already. If you are old enough to remember Michael Barrymore's 'My Kind of Music' (I think it was...) they showed clips of the ride with people sat round going backwards!

Nothing on YouTube. :(

In terms of a ride re theme, here's what I would like to see (not that it would ever happen though).

The ride entrance remains the same as now but refreshed with the queueline based around an oriental garden. The station will be themed around a giant temple or pagoda. Once the boats leave the station, there will be new bits of theming like samurai s and dragons.

The first lift hill will be themed with a rock face and the tunnel it enters will be themed as a cave. Once the ride reaches the 2nd lift, it will enter a giant dragon mouth at the top. The top section will be mostly/completely indoors with rocks beneath the lift (again).

Once the ride reaches the drop, it will either emerge from another dragon head or go under an arch to deliver some great interaction both off and on ride. After splashing, the ride will return to the station like it does.

There could also be a light story of riders finding a lost mysterious dragon to save a Chinese town (or something) but few ever returning.

Some interesting ideas there.

I like the oriental garden queueline, that does need to be made more interesting.

Now theming the station around a giant temple or pagoda, I thought it already was? If it's not, what is it now because I can't think of any other way to describe it!

Rocks on lift hill...meh. Nooo way! People know what I think of that idea, but as for entering a dragon mouth at the top of the second lift hill, I really cannot understand the logic behind this. A good idea to a certain degree, but why would I want to go in a building, only to emerge from the other end to the drop immediately outside?! Remember this is a family ride which youngsters ride too, so too much indoor interaction and too many dragons may frighten them! Your idea of a dragon mouth at the top of the second lift hill leads me to my next point - too many dragons. Considering that we already have an excellently themed one after the first little lift and drop, too many dragons could ruin this ride. If you were a designer your idea of a dragon mouth at the top of the second lift hill could be overlooked, refused by them, and don't forget that planning permission would be needed by the park, which they may be refused by the council. If it was accepted and constructed, the idea of demolishing the current dragon tunnel could be put forward, and I know which dragon I'd rather have.

A couple of years ago, they banners put up around the top of the ride - a rather piss-poor attempt by the park which makes the top section look tacky. It was only to stop people looking to the left and noting stored stuff on the ground below, especially this sign which was removed from the entrance many years ago, and stored alongside many other bits and pieces not required!

No doubt this Juicy Pop Drop sponsor will stay, I'm sure Chessington need all the sponsorship they can get to modify this ride!

This is all happening at a time when, down the road at Thorpe, rides such as Loggers Leap and Rumba Rapids are crying out for some TLC. Yes, they're all old, and the Bayon faces may have been falling apart, but the one thing Merlin have overlooked is the fact that Loggers and Rumba as a whole need some work doing to them, rather than Falls which, for what I can see, is undergoing not very many changes!

Dragon Falls is now open (even though the website still says 10th April). It really does look awful with the theming removed but not as bad as I was expecting. The first half of the tunnel remains but the second half doesn't so just like at Thorpe you can brave it tunneless to some extent.

Holly, do you mean to tell me that you think what they've done is actually permanent? Those walls are a mess and nowhere near incomplete.

I do agree with this, the parks do care about the presentation of their rides and I'm fairly sure we will see more work at loggers when there able to carry out more work there.

Correction, I meant to say nowhere near complete. And thanks Marc. ;) It doesn't take a genius to work out Loggers is halfway through some work, this coming from me when I haven't rode it this year yet.

Believe what you like, Holly. You're standing in the crowd of people who want that tunnel gone permanently, and who are most likely to be disappointed.

Anyway, this topic is about Dragon Falls, let's get back to it. Shall we start with you trying to convince us all the fence where the Bayon faces is a permanent feature of its retheme? <_<