SAW: The Ride

Mark9

This whole 'Because its a gerst' crap around SAW is pretty unfair on the company to be fair. Gerstlauer have made very reliable, and very smooth rollercoasters (Rage, Cobra, Troublesome Trucks - I wont say Speed as I haven't ridden it) but the three forementioned alone prove that it's not a manufacture trait.

Smiler is hit and miss, it has issues in the cobra yes, but other than that it is smooth. SAW just has issues with drive wheels and sensors. When you consider how many cars its running on it's circuit and that most Eurofighters around that time ran three cars, not eight, it's no surprise its never been perfect.

Saw is always breaking down when I visit. I do believe it's a Gerst thing ha.

Last year pretty much every visit I saw it break down at least once, but this year it's been pretty good. Also the Smiler has also been good this year by the sounds of it, it hasn't had a full day closed this year yet and during the whole weekend I was there I did not see it go down once, and I was checking ridetimes on my phone a lot.

Smiler is hit and miss, it has issues in the cobra yes, but other than that it is smooth. 

I'm sorry, but I would not call the Smiler smooth, especially for a coaster than is just over 1 year old.

I'm sorry, but I would not call the Smiler smooth, especially for a coaster than is just over 1 year old.

Considering it's fourteen loops, and it isn't exactly slow; I wouldn't particularly call it rough... I mean yeah, it has a jolt, but other than that it doesn't clatter your head around anywhere near what SAW can do, or even like a Vekoma can.

WRONG.

I am small. I have never had a rough circuit on Saw, not compared to the likes of an SLC or Colossus, but the smiler was a new level. It doesn't help the track shakes an awful lot in some points too.

Your height can massively effect the roughness of a ride. As it happens with me.

Avoiding train three, The Smiler is very smooth. The only jolt I noticed was the exit to the cobra roll, and even that wasn't that bad. The rest was perfect.

Saw on the other hand is just terrible. The jolt at the base of the drop is particularly rough. Just face it, Saw is rough, especially for a ride that is only five years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily call Smiler rough.  The jolt on the cobra roll is, but the rest of the ride isn't.  Thing is, whilst the first half of the ride is okay in how it rides, I find the second half to be quite uncomfortable, and after the airtime hill, just not really pleasant.  

Saw is intense, on the other hand.  I've only ever felt the jolt at the bottom of the drop once, never found it rough or uncomfortable like so many people claim it to be.

Saw is the worst Gerstlauer going...

Though many of their rides do have rattles/jolts (Anubis on the launch in the back row as an example, and of course Smiler's Cobra Roll) throughout...

That said, considering the Merlin Gersts are the bad ones, you have to ponder whether or not it's because of the groundwork, rather than the manufacture...

I find Smiler a lot smoother then Saw, even though Saw apart from one absolutely horrendous time, hasn't been all that bad this year, I have ridden Smiler on every train this year on pretty much most of the rows and I have had next to nothing in roughness apart from the jolt on the cobra, maybe because I prefer it to Saw, I enjoy it a lot more and that might block out uncomfy-ness who knows.

To me they bot have one terrible (unacceptable in this age) jolts, Saw on the base of the drop and Smiler in the cobra roll. Honestly the rest of both rides I fine fine but that issue alone is enough for me not to ride.

The jolt on Saw sometimes gets me but I actually like the jolts on The Smiler!  :lol:

To me they bot have one terrible (unacceptable in this age) jolts, Saw on the base of the drop and Smiler in the cobra roll. Honestly the rest of both rides I fine fine but that issue alone is enough for me not to ride.

Therein probably lies the issue...

Saw's being at the start of the ride makes the rest of the entire thing seem awful (then again, the dive loop transition is awful anyway)...

Smiler's is at the end (well, only 2 zero-gs afterwards), so it has the opposite effect of making the end of the ride a lot worse...

If The Smiler was smooth it would be boring.  As it is, it's a fantastic coaster.

Roughness does not equal intensity. The airtime hills only feel good because they are a break from hang time and positive Gs at the top and bottom of inversions respectively. Honestly, The Smiler reminds of a fairground ride in terms of forces.

Roughness does not equal intensity. The airtime hills only feel good because they are a break from hang time and positive Gs at the top and bottom of inversions respectively. Honestly, The Smiler reminds of a fairground ride in terms of forces.

I disagree.  Take The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley; if that was smooth it wouldn't be intense, but it's one of the most intense coasters I have ridden.

It also gives The Smiler a bit of life IMO, makes it more fun.

Also gives the ride a bit of life IMO!

Depends on the ride. It doesn't give SLC's life. Woodie's yes. Colossus no. SAW, I still don't find it as bad on the whole as most do, but I do feel it occasionally (usually when the car has six people in).

I still stand by my previous comment though. Gerst isn't a 'renowned to be rough' manufacturer; it just seems to be odd rides / elements. Ever heard of people complain about Takabishia? ;)