SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Candy Holland is head of Merlin's creative team and she was mentored by John, but another guy (am I allowed to post his name since he is no longer a Merlin employee?) was the lead creative designer of Saw, Swarm and Smiler.

The process these days is totally different to how John Wardley used to work. I had a nice talk to him about it last week, the theme park industry was totally different back then. The last time where one person/team had all creative control in a Tussaudes project was around Nemesis or even earlier.

I don't see why you can't mention Ben Dowson's name on here (at least, I assume that's who you are referring to?). He was relatively open on his Twitter account about his involvement in Smiler. :)

Yes that's him. He was even on TV at the time. But I didn't want to bring him up in case people start personally criticising him (although thankfully stuff like that doesn't happen often on this forum!) plus I have to consider Merlin's media policy.

Would be interesting to know how far his involvement was and what the design process is like now, and how it has evolved since Merlin took over.

• 1 month later...

So far this year, the queue line audio of SAW has worked faultlessly with the snippets of "They're not to cut through our chains, they're to cut through our feet" and "Be careful, we know there's booby-traps in there..." blah blah blah. So yeah thats back. Still no exit TVs though yet this year.

So far this year, the queue line audio of SAW has worked faultlessly with the snippets of "They're not to cut through our chains, they're to cut through our feet" and "Be careful, we know there's booby-traps in there..." blah blah blah. So yeah thats back. Still no exit TVs though yet this year.

Not heard the queue work the couple times I've been on but the exit Tvs have worked when I've been there - are the Tvs at the bottom of the lift working now?

Not heard the queue work the couple times I've been on but the exit Tvs have worked when I've been there - are the Tvs at the bottom of the lift working now?

They've been working every time I've been on this season.

Had the best and smoothest ride on Saw today that I've had for a long time. No headache for a change!! What a difference it made!

You mean the bit on the inside ? Good to hear! Is the outside queue working?

I meant the exterior queue, but yeah come to think of it the inside was working as well.

I hadn't heard the outside audio work yet this season (or for the past two), but it was working on Sunday!

The TV's were broken a lot at the start of the season but this seems to have been fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The ride isn't as rough as it has been, even for a Gerst. If you know how to brace yourself its pretty okay, unless you get a rough car.

The maze? Returning throughout the season? No thanks. I never went in it and I don't particularly regret it. Saw Alive had to be one of the worst moves Thorpe made IMO: there was so much hype over saw but then the maze just flopped. Also, who the hell would pay a fiver for that? Especially outside of FN.

Rode twice today, the ride was amazing as always but the ride was very rough. It had been down most of the morning however not sure if that was to do with it.

I doubt it would be down because was rough, if there was something wrong with a car they'd take it off and carry on normal operation.