SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Haven't seen or heard about any downtime this year so far, but I'm sure it will go back to it's daily breakdowns as the season goes on ;)

SAW having downtime is a misconception. It has a fair few 'essential cleaning' shutdowns which usually takes a fair amount of time as people often splatter their lunch all over the car and down most of the exit stairs which takes time to clean. But from personal experience, I'd go as far as saying maybe every two in three if not more, are cleaning over technical on SAW. But then, maybe I got lucky in that sense.

I think it's just dependent on what car you are on, I went on it 3 times last weekend, and 1 of them were really good! The two times I noticed it being bad was on car number 7 and the good one was number 1 I think.

I have to second this. I've had a really rough ride on Annual Pass day in the evening, and three really smooth rides on opening day. But this has always been notable with vehicle wear and tear; it's most likely just because they've ran car (based on your numbers) 1 and 7, more than say 2 and 8 or whatever. They don't obviously instantly run the ride with eight cars as soon as testing commences; so there are going to be cars on that track that could have easily done a good twenty runs or more than other cars have.

However, even as a SAW fanboy; I have to say that the jolt seems (to be) more notable than normal. Not brain rattling, but I used to not notice it; and now I feel it on every car.

I love saws Building is brilliant it is much like the films plus the manaquins make sence now :D

Problem with SAW's building is that unless you've seen the films it makes no sense. The building is actually incredibly well themed to the films both in and out, and items such as the shotguns are direct from the films. Unfortunately though, like I said, if you don't see the films you can't appreciate it.

Problem with SAW's building is that unless you've seen the films it makes no sense. The building is actually incredibly well themed to the films both in and out, and items such as the shotguns are direct from the films. Unfortunately though, like I said, if you don't see the films you can't appreciate it.

Totally agree with this - I had ridden Saw over 20/30 times before I actually watched the films - then when I next rode it the indoor queueline made sense and all the theming. I remember getting off the ride saying "Oh I get it now"

On a side note I never noticed the dead dude underneath the first inversion until someone told me about it - so, after riding it god knows how many times I looked out for him and there he was (I felt a little stupid, just for a change). Also, last year this is something I didn't notice but it sprays water at you - I got some full on in my eyeball and sat next the the person to my right and said "did that thing just spit at you?" :ph34r:

Finally - I had the most painful experience on Saw on AP day. In the morning it was running beautifully and very smooth - fast forward a good few hours and after riding it I felt like I had smashed my head against a wall non stop for 2 hours.

I still love Saw though - it was joint fave along with The Swarm but went second but is slowly clawing its way to the top. Oh yeah and those guns that go off - they get me every time and I scream like a lunatic :lol:

Saw's building from the outside just looks like a warehouse though, I thought the point of that was that it was more of a stand-alone thing (hence the numerous pieces of traps junk in the queueline that don't link to the films)...

Even on the inside there's what, 3 thematic 'sets'? The guns, chair and barbed wire man... And some TVs, which I guess are as much part of the theming as the CCTV cameras on the outside are...

I remember seeing the concept art for some indoor queue bit and it was tonnes better than the stairwell of why... I dunno, it's links to Saw itself are pretty limited in number, since the only direct links are the TVs and puppet for those who haven't seen the films... The theming is almost extremely generic...

Then again, I don't think much of the films anyway, even after watching them...

Isn't jigsaws secret hideout a warehouse hence why the building is themed to be a warehouse. To me it is essentially what you see in the film but a little smaller. You say that it is generic themeing but then Saw's building is a generic horror set so it is not like I was expecting the taj mahal of uniqueness in there.

I'd love to know what the chair theming is in SAW ;)

And you clearly have very little idea of the theming links.

I'm going to ignore the queue line ones as I'll be honest they are not entirely relevant, but merely come from blueprints of traps that are on the walls in the background of SAW films.

With regards to inside:

• The blood writing "Let the games begin" "Face your fears" "The games have just begun" - all relevant as it is exactly like that within one the SAW films as a game.
  • The shotguns that fire, again, from the film.
  • The rack, which in fairness to it was a genuine prop, and also from the films.
  • Partway up the stairs, and also visible through the window at the top is the man in barbed wire, again, from the films.
  • The computer system in the middle of the airgates, from the films.
  • The countdown timers, again from the film.

So then we move onto the ride section:

• Cogs at the beginning, I can't recall them being linked to the films, so that is a ride-piece of theming solely to highlight the factory idea.
  • Billy, no explanation needed.
  • Pendulum blades, from the films.
  • Spikes seen on the drop, from the films.
  • Needles are loosely based on the film, where needles are a common theme throughout, most relevantly the needle pit in SAW2, but again, creative design was used in the ride to incorporate that idea. (By this I'm referring to the air blasts on the indoor booster lift, officially known as the Needles).
  • The body and bathroom scene, SAW 1.
  • TVs of Billy are used throughout.
  • Spinning drop blades, again done for the effect of the ride.
  • Billy and storage shelves at the end again is from the movies as used in Jigsaw's lair.

The building itself, like has been said is based on Jigsaw's lair. So how anybody can say 'SAW's theming isn't relevant' is clueless to be quite frank. No, SAW isn't everybody's cup of tea as a ride; and no, if you haven't seen the films you can't really associate. But I've just gone through every bit of theming and told you what is and isn't in the films. If I could be bothered, I'd even show you pictures from the films (but I don't feel thats appropriate for the forums).

Blood writing on the wall counts as theming? Must be the same for Thirteen then...

Think that list just shows how generic Saw actually is... Swinging pendulum blades? Well they're also used on a Scooby Doo themed ride in Australia, so it's very easy for those with zero interest in the film to not notice the relevance of such a thing (and TVs, and a computer, indeed, lots of generic stuff around)...

Of course Billy and the phrases are known enough outside of the films, but I was more focusing on the queue element in my 3 sets point (the chair equalling the rack, but it's a chair first and foremost) that are clearly directly related to Saw... The ride portion itself only really has the bathroom (which you can barely see because they didn't think to continue the building to the base of the lift for some reason) as a really big relevant link... The crossbows on the MCBR are another rather tenous link to the films because they were used once or sommat... Eh...

how is Saw Generic?

also the mannequins make amazing sense his ware house is in a an old mannequin factory

not as in the idea and story, more where its set (abandoned factory) and the set it self as well as the props that aren't traps, the rest is original.

how is Saw Generic?

also the mannequins make amazing sense his ware house is in a an old mannequin factory

The props/traps used aren't exactly what one would call original...

The storyline (in perhaps, the earlier films more than the later ones) is what slightly took it apart from the rest of the other cliched ridden horror films of the time, and the context for the trappings, but I'm sure some of the traps appeared in Home Alone in some variation...

I'm sorry Benin, but go educate yourself.

All you've done is made yourself look idiotic with what you have and are posted. I've given you every piece of theming and its relevance and yet you still call it generic. Maybe it is generic to horror films, but it is part of the SAW films too, and on that basis it counts as relevant-to-SAW theming within the ride. And I'm sorry but do you even know how the Rack works? It's not a chair.

Plus points for posting one of the funniest things ever on the Forums. Chair, lmfao.

I have seen the Saw films after experiencing the ride, so I don't need any 'educating'...

Still, I looked at the ride from my first ride on it as someone who had never seen the films, and as such there really is very little in there that would directly scream to anyone not familiar with the films aside from the puppet and phrases that are prevalent throughout...

Even after seeing the films, I don't think "Oh look, it's the swinging pendulum trap as used in Saw 4 against Kevin*", I think "Oh look, the swinging pendulum trap is actually working" (also alternatively "Oh look, swinging pendulums")...

Clearly I've enraged the Saw fans by calling it rather generic in the world of horror films with it's props... And stating that the ride in itself isn't filled with props that to an outsider to the franchise would be able to understand such little nuances that the fans seem to adore immensely...

Shotguns, Racks, TVs, Timers, Spikes, Crossbows are all pretty common in the world, and to me, an outsider (or perhaps, heathen is better considering your viewpoint?), the only direct correlations to the film lie in a puppet, phrases and a bathroom scene...

*May not be factually accurate

Would just like everyone to bare in mind during this post, I DO quite like Saw...

With regards to inside:

• The blood writing "Let the games begin" "Face your fears" "The games have just begun" - all relevant as it is exactly like that within one the SAW films as a game.
  • The shotguns that fire, again, from the film.
  • The rack, which in fairness to it was a genuine prop, and also from the films.
  • Partway up the stairs, and also visible through the window at the top is the man in barbed wire, again, from the films.
  • The computer system in the middle of the airgates, from the films.
  • The countdown timers, again from the film.

So then we move onto the ride section:

• Cogs at the beginning, I can't recall them being linked to the films, so that is a ride-piece of theming solely to highlight the factory idea.
  • Billy, no explanation needed.
  • Pendulum blades, from the films.
  • Spikes seen on the drop, from the films.
  • Needles are loosely based on the film, where needles are a common theme throughout, most relevantly the needle pit in SAW2, but again, creative design was used in the ride to incorporate that idea. (By this I'm referring to the air blasts on the indoor booster lift, officially known as the Needles).
  • The body and bathroom scene, SAW 1.
  • TVs of Billy are used throughout.
  • Spinning drop blades, again done for the effect of the ride.
  • Billy and storage shelves at the end again is from the movies as used in Jigsaw's lair.

Everything I've put in bold does indeed relate to the films, as you rightly explain. Though, if one wants to be facetious:

-There was only one pendulum blade in Saw 5, as opposed to the two shown on the ride.

-A board of spikes doesn't relate to the films exactly - I certainly don't recall a trap like that.

-The indoor MCBR has always confused me. If it's needles, they why on earth are their crossbow noises being fired when you go across?!

However, everything in bold IS also generic. To anyone who hasn't seen the films, they won't be confused, they'll just think generic 'look at these things which could potentially kill me if all this was real'. The only relevant Saw theming, and the only theming which I reckon would actually need to be removed if the Saw/Lionsgate contract ends, is the Rack Trap in the queue line, anything with Billy on and slogans like 'Face Your Fears'. I remain unsure about the barbed wire maze in the queue and the bathroom trap under the first inversion to be honest; whilst they DO relate to the films, you could quite easily keep them / tweak them slightly. Even the shotgun could be kept; it's all very generic.

It's one thing I really dislike about the ride in general. There's actually very little Saw in there; especially the big pieces. Even if a lot of it can be related to the films / Saw universe, very little of it is unique to Saw, which is what people are trying to get at, from what I can see.

-There was only one pendulum blade in Saw 5, as opposed to the two shown on the ride.

-A board of spikes doesn't relate to the films exactly - I certainly don't recall a trap like that.

-The indoor MCBR has always confused me. If it's needles, they why on earth are their crossbow noises being fired when you go across?!

Just in response. You are right about the pendulums, it was one. The board of spikes is from SAW 3 when he starts the Game and the spikes open under him, for him to drop out of the cage into. With regards to the indoor lift hill (yes, it's a lift hill not brakes) it's just down to the air making the actual noise, hence the 'Pss, Pss, Pss' noise which makes people think it's cross bows, when it's actually meant to be as if needles are being fired at riders - or so we were told. I agree it sounds more like cross bows though; but with the lights up you'd actually see they're themed to look like needles and have security cameras all over the tops of the walls with them - something you don't see with show lighting on.

Just in response. You are right about the pendulums, it was one. The board of spikes is from SAW 3 when he starts the Game and the spikes open under him, for him to drop out of the cage into. With regards to the indoor lift hill (yes, it's a lift hill not brakes) it's just down to the air making the actual noise, hence the 'Pss, Pss, Pss' noise which makes people think it's cross bows, when it's actually meant to be as if needles are being fired at riders - or so we were told. I agree it sounds more like cross bows though; but with the lights up you'd actually see they're themed to look like needles and have security cameras all over the tops of the walls with them - something you don't see with show lighting on.

Think you're thinking about Saw 7 for the spikes, which was released in 2010. So either that's a lot of good work between Thorpe and Lionsgate or sheer coincidence! (In Saw 3, he's in a wooden crate and just has to crack it open.)

As for the crossbow/needle thing, I swear you can hear crossbows being fired as well. Yes, you have the 'pss' noises, which is made by the air, but I'm sure there's also woosh noises as well, which I think to be crossbows, hence my confusion. I could just be imagining things though I guess...

Think you're thinking about Saw 7 for the spikes, which was released in 2010. So either that's a lot of good work between Thorpe and Lionsgate or sheer coincidence! (In Saw 3, he's in a wooden crate and just has to crack it open.)

If I am thinking of SAW 7 then that is embarrassing, but I have a feeling you're right. *thinks* Yes you are because his wife is watching him on the screens, oh crap. I actually got a SAW reference wrong D: