SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Alternatively, with the building they could have done something interesting with the facade, rather than just, a warehouse... Whilst apparently fitting with the theme, on a theme park scale it doesn't look good...

Could be worse - could of just had it as a solid concrete box and stuck a yellow (Or brown in this case?) pipe on it!

Atmosphere - Whilst a bigger building could of given us more fire exits meaning more people being allowed into the building, it would of just looked hideous with fire exit signs dotted every few meters, ruining the 'atmosphere'.

Not particularly, every dark ride and scary things have fire exit signs, you can make them fit in. Who's to say scary buildings don't have fire exits? They do, all buildings do. It's a part of realism which is fine to exist.

This is ironic as Towers don't turn their audio off during shut down's, I seem to remember a lot of people saying that The Smiler was 'laughing' at them whilst the ride/area was evacuate :P HA HA HA, HA HA HA.... bad taste, real bad :D

I was backing up Thorpe there, didn't say it was a bad thing at all apart from explaining the confusion (Note: Thirteen doesn't say breakdown, yet smiler does clearly explain a delay. Why? Because not saying it causes confusion and anger). You wouldn't just turn off an entire areas audio because it'd kill all atmosphere and make a bad situation worse, I'm not saying thorpe should turn theirs off either.

Sometimes you're a penis and should read before responding.

The thing is, with regards to Thorpe, they are under very strict planning permission guidelines. They are only allowed to buld 'so big' before it will get refused, that includes height, width as well the floor space. We have to look at the bigger picture.

Problems Facing - The MTDP from whenever it was to whenever it was, to my memory, didn't have a building on it. If there was a building on it, it would have been granted consent to the specifications in the MDTP so X by Y by Z. Deciding to build a much larger building would caused a thousand and one over problems, including having to have the new sizes granted by the council. Also much bigger evacuation planning, Fire planning, Flood planning and loads more, the integrity of the man made island would also have to be considered for the enormous weight gain. When the island was in-filled it would always of had a maximum weight restriction, other the island would just sink, cave in or slip (landslide).

Atmosphere - Whilst a bigger building could of given us more fire exits meaning more people being allowed into the building, it would of just looked hideous with fire exit signs dotted every few meters, ruining the 'atmosphere'.

The general idea behind gaps in the slats, is to allow air to circulate in the building where guests will be situated, without so it would be so hot you would have guests falling ill every 10 minutes! If my memory serves me correctly even with the gaps the building was still far too hot in the summer period and both staff and guests where falling ill at regular intervals, leading to new air vents to be installed on the roof.

General Size - Let's face it, if the building was much bigger it would completely dwarf the plaza, which would mean you would literally be sniffing the armpits of the person stood next to you, which isn't pleasant on any level.

Integrity - It would also receive problems that I stated above, going into a bit more detail. The island is basically free/loose mud which is submerged in water. Mud + Water are very dangerous to mix, in the right condition if the island hasn't compacted well enough the weight may cause the island to sink, which would mean eventually the island would give way and a few million pounds worth of technology as well as the possibility of life itself being lost to the lake. Which would be the end of Thorpe Park and probably Merlin as a company. As the island is evenly distributed the land will be sinking at an angle, which eventually will lead to some problems.

If you wanted to add the extra width of the building, whilst you are evening out the weight across the island, your adding more weight for the ground underneath to compact, which will in turn leave the island under water and a ride that cannot operate.

Personally I think we should just be happy with what we have, its a superbly themed ride, and I am positive all the size decisions for the building sizes where all to compensate for the islands integrity, to allow H&S to pass it off easily in evacuations & emergency's (another thing I actually missed, in the event of a shut down, that cannot be resolved, the small area in front of picsolve booth is occupied to evacuate guests from the ride. IT's the only feasable area to use).

This is ironic as Towers don't turn their audio off during shut down's, I seem to remember a lot of people saying that The Smiler was 'laughing' at them whilst the ride/area was evacuate :P HA HA HA, HA HA HA.... bad taste, real bad :D

So really, what you're saying is Merlin compromised on every aspect of Saw. Instead of building an amazing, immersive attraction they cut corners for convenience and so we have this duffer of a ride instead.

Nice.

• 1 month later...

Maybe the SAW brand isn't dead, supposedly Lionsgate are working on SAW 8?

Saw 8 is "in active development" apparently. I'd reckon we'd see it next Halloween tbh.

Would be great for the park of it did happen. Saw is already one of the besr-rated rides on park, so a rejuvenation of the brand could only encourage more people to come and ride it!

I honestly thought the entire saw brand was at its end after SAW 7, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, I can only hope thorpe use this to their advantage with addition to the ride and or maze. More hopeful to a ride refurb, they could do some marketing behind it. I dunno something along the lines of, 'jigsaw returned to his abandoned warehouse over closed season, what lies within' or something.

It would be a nice little touch up to the ride.

• 4 weeks later...

When lot's of people have been saying in their reports for Thorpe Park in the last few days: Saw is as bad as it was last season. Saw was really bad.

why is that?

Cos it's a crap ride... That's why...

There's not really much that can be done to change it now tbh, aside from new trains really, but you can't see Merlin doing that...

I found it to be running well today as well, which surprised me as it was dire last weekend.

I think it's just dependent on what car you are on, I went on it 3 times last weekend, and 1 of them were really good! The two times I noticed it being bad was on car number 7 and the good one was number 1 I think.

I think it's just dependent on what car you are on, I went on it 3 times last weekend, and 1 of them were really good! The two times I noticed it being bad was on car number 7 and the good one was number 1 I think.

I've found that some cars are worse yeah - it's a shame really, as the bad ones really see horrible.