Closed Rides

Ash

I wasn't listening closely enough but someone in the queue Saturday was saying one of the water rides is basically dead because they didn't do the maintance on it properly and killed the pumps, and due to it's age either cannot or are having an extremely hard time finding a replacement.

I assumed it was the other one (depth charge?) but they may have been talking about the rapids.

Slammer and Samurai are notoriously un-reliable nowadays - slammer looks like it's had a lot of work done to it.

Tidal wave looks like it's had more work than usual done with half the structure on the lift hill being replaced, rumba Rapids looked like it was getting most of its lift replaced too

I wasn't listening closely enough but someone in the queue Saturday was saying one of the water rides is basically dead because they didn't do the maintance on it properly and killed the pumps, and due to it's age either cannot or are having an extremely hard time finding a replacement.

I assumed it was the other one (depth charge?) but they may have been talking about the rapids.

Why does that not surprise me?  Come on, they have had these water rides for years now, they know exactly how they need to be maintained.  You can't expect rides to work if you don't look after them properly!

Because you would love that to be true.. It's having more maintaince than usual that's why it's taking slightly longer.

What, Rumba as well?  As far as I can see nothing's changed (and that may not be the case, it may have had work in areas you can't see), it just looks abandoned at the moment.

And of course I wouldn't want that to be true, as I want to see them back open!

What, Rumba as well? As far as I can see nothing's changed (and that may not be the case, it may have had work in areas you can't see), it just looks abandoned at the moment.

And of course I wouldn't want that to be true, as I want to see them back open!

Thing is, there's alot more behind these rides than what you can see from a distance, from inferno today I could see most of the wooden slats on the lift have been replaced since the weekend.

It's obviously not ideal, but if the extra work these rides get help them stay open (samurai and slammer in particular) then it's worth the wait.

For the first few weeks of the season, having four rides down isn't too terrible in terms of ride avalibility, although thorpe were claiming they had a 97% ride avalibility today which I fail to see with four rides down?

Hopefully Slammer, Samurai, Tidal Wave and Rumba will be up by the beginning of the Easter Holidays, the water rides will certainly be needed in the hot weather and they will be needed to suck in some of the crowds as fillers to keep queue times to a minimum.

Let's just hope maintenace goes to plan the next couple of weeks to offer a full ride avalibility during Easter :)

I personally don't think Slammer will open till April at least. But I think, and hope Samurai, Rumba and Tidal wave will be open by then.

It's obvious all these rides have had more done than usual, although I'm unsure about Rumba. Slammer was testing this time last year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest the chances are the park would have to open later (except Pleasure Beach and even then its the first to fully open) in the month. I'd rather go now and ride 90% of rides than wait another couple of weeks to ride anything, it's not like people are going to be swarming to Tidal Wave and Rumba Rapids in this weather with more people moaning on here about the close season than anything else!

They open at the time they do because that's the time when they are confident they will get more income than what they spend to open. Alton being in the middle of no where have decided that that point is a few weeks later. 1 and a half weeks isn't going to make that much difference, yeah it would help but overall the same/similar problems would still be around. This just seems to be the result of a load of ageing rides all needing some major work done at the same time. Can't really be avoided. 

You say 1 week doesn't make a difference. But between half term and AP day loads of ride signs were replaced, stuff repainted. In 4 days since AP days the Carousel has nearly been entirely removed, more signs have been added at points, Tidal wave has had more work done to its lift (and the pool was full of water) and like Marc said, Rumba has had new slats put in place all in a few days. It definitely does make a difference.

Tidal, Rumba, Samurai and Slammer were all advertised at the entrance not to be opening so yes it's not great but people were informed! Can't say for the rides down this morning but this afternoon it was all fine apart from Saw which is clearly struggling as it was meant to be open on AP days, and wasn't advertised to be closed today and did test once or twice. Not saying at all that any of this is good, having rides closed is always bad, but it is what it is. 

A chain snap would be impressive. That chain is very strong and for it to snap would take quite some force. It would need to suffer fatigue which should be picked up in routine maintenance. Saying that its not unheard of I would just be very surprised if a chain snap was the case for its downtime.