Closed Rides

Ash

They were giving out letters at the exit today giving everyone the chance to return for free later in the year. 

It looked like Saw was very close to opening with all its theming on and the ride constantly going round, Tidal Wave was also testing and id assume will open at the weekend. 

Why DO Thorpe Park open for the main season 1 1/2 weeks before Alton Towers?

I always wondered why. Perhaps an extra week and a half would make all the difference.

Gate figures. It boosts their gate numbers (remember they had their extension of days open right at the very end of last year? Any coincidence if it shows low visitor numbers for 2014?).

Some very concerning responses on their twitter. Some how a 90 minute queue did not classify as high enough demand for a 2nd train. Along with some shocking maths of 90% of rides open. I hope they learn and go with full trains as a default at weekends from now on. Quite frankly 1 train operation on a saturday is just a joke.

Turned out to be a decent day to be fair... Tidal wave did open on and off (crazy people riding it in this weather!), and saw seemed to be running fine after it opened :)

On the flip side... Rush decided to have downtime and then to reopen on one swing only, Colossus is still only ever on one train, so as per last season, the second train doesn't seem to be ready yet, and again with X on 2 train operation causing them to have long queues over between about 30-60 minutes whereas the other coasters (besides saw which was staying around an hour for most of the day) seemed to have 20 min max queues once they eventually got onto two trains.

And as expected and stated, Slammer, Samurai and Rumba are closed for further maintenance.

After reading over a weeks worth of posts, this has been a particularly good read. I understand the points, both good and bad.

Rumba Rapids, experienced some it's worst technical difficultys in many, many years towards the end of 2014, thus forcing them to take much further action in regards to maintenance. After having endless days closed due to issues, it has required them to do an exceptional amount of work to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Tidal Wave, again, experienced a very high percentage of downtime, a fair amount higher than usual. I can only guess they needed to do a bigger overhaul than usual.

I read a couple of posts regarding SAW, and it's chain. It isn't unheard of to have issues with that chain. I'm sure many of you remember the days in 2009 whereby it had to close several times a day to have crack checks on the chain. And had several chain replacements. It's just unfortunate if they are having issues again.

X is another one, you are all lucky it's open this side of April let alone to be ready for the first day of season.

I'm not excusing the high amount of ride closures, but it's something, whether small or big, you have to be prepared to deal with when going to a theme park. No matter what park in the world it is, you do have to subconsciously expect closures. Unexpected issues can and will arise at some point on the calender, and it's just unfortunate that 6 rides had them simultaneously. For all we know, all 6 rides could have been ready to run back in January, but during testing issues arose forcing the closures.

And all I have to say, don't blame TP for ride closures, at least they are attempting a 100% ride availability. I have been told Blade at Towers isn't going to operating this year and many of the areas are receiving staggered openeing. I think that's a poor decision.

The reasons why Alton Towers is closing Blade and doing staggered openings is entirely different to why Thorpe Park have 5-6 rides closed. Of course, both are regrettable.

There are explanations for everything, as you have given. Of course, each explanation is perfectly plausible by itself. But that does not therefore make it acceptable that these rides are all closed. After all, rides are the sole reason Thorpe has guests!

There should be adequate buffer periods and time management built into the programme of work over winter so that the park is ready for opening day. Had there been 1 ride closed, I doubt anybody would be complaining too much - but 5-6 is pretty much unheard of at a major park (except Thorpe where, over the past decade, it has been quite common). There is obviously something not quite right about something within the management of the maintenance at TP.

If you don't blame Thorpe Park for ride closures, who on earth do you blame?

:)

The reasons why Alton Towers is closing Blade and doing staggered openings is entirely different to why Thorpe Park have 5-6 rides closed. Of course, both are regrettable.

There are explanations for everything, as you have given. Of course, each explanation is perfectly plausible by itself. But that does not therefore make it acceptable that these rides are all closed. After all, rides are the sole reason Thorpe has guests!

There should be adequate buffer periods and time management built into the programme of work over winter so that the park is ready for opening day. Had there been 1 ride closed, I doubt anybody would be complaining too much - but 5-6 is pretty much unheard of at a major park (except Thorpe where, over the past decade, it has been quite common). There is obviously something not quite right about something within the management of the maintenance at TP.

If you don't blame Thorpe Park for ride closures, who on earth do you blame?

:)

So what you are saying, is that TP have no idea what they are doing? Like I said, problems can occur instantaneously. 

Samurai may have had a problem found whilst they where doing their maintenance, what does that mean? They have to address a situation they where not expecting, leaving them at a shortfall in getting it open on time.

Slammer, they may have found a minor crack or problem whilst doing their maintenance, which again needs to be addressed before opening, delaying the rides opening. 

SAW The Ride - Pretty sure I saw picture of the ride running several weeks before opening, what does that tell you? The ride was more than ready to open several weeks later, but oh no... An error message came up the day before or even the same day which needs urgent maintenance which could be quite time-consuming. What does this mean? The ride will open a day or two later than they had hoped.

Rumba Rapids, "Right, this season we had this problem, that problem and these problems, they all made the ride unavailable for days, even weeks at time. We need to do this, this and this, unfortunately as this was unexpected, this will delay the maintenance program that has been induced on the ride every year since its opening back 1987." Why do you even care that it's not open, it's hardly been the weather for a water ride.

You cannot say it is 'unacceptable' It's a piece of complex machinery (mostly) that can and will suffer problems now and then. That is like me buying a car, and then complaining to the manufacturer because the battery went flat after 20 years of use. Things need upgrading, things need fixing when they suffer problems.