Closed Rides

Ash

did they actually say that about vortex?

I'm actually smiling because I didn't think that the staff could tell the guests why the rides were closed.

but if they actually said that word for word.. I need to find it on youtube. or something

someone I know who works there, rather than a worker actually telling me that in thorpe :P

Everything today was running one train, apart from The Swarm, understandable for a regular week day in March, but not for what is essentially the first day of Easter holidays for a lot of Surrey Schools.

Wait time was 90 minutes for SAW and tbh neither me or my son thought much of it lol!

Stealth broke down about 5 times too lol, at one point they could get anybody out of the trains, not sure why but I'd assume the harnesses wouldn't release, we went out to Inferno and when we got back it was running it again so we jumped on before it was too late lol.

IIRC it had 4 cars running, two being loaded/unloaded while two were out on track, no idea if that's normal operation.

We sat for ages waiting to get out, then they moved our car forward when the second one came in and unload both together, don't know if that's normal procedure or not but it doesn't seem the quickest way to me.

One thing I did notice was a major increase in security, at one point there was more security stood in the Colossus station than there was ride operators, again I don't know if that's normal during regular season as I've only ever been to Thorpe for pass days and Brainiac in this century but I'd never seen on-site security in such numbers.

Mind you Swarm was showing 45 minutes of the queue at one point when it was walk on, and we got on Stealth three times so there was some upsides to the day (nope didn't do celeb, no interest), but unless they get their **** together for Summer, we won't be venturing there again until Autumn, I don't like crowds, especially bad tempered Chav filled ones lol. One time we went on Stealth then guy behind me screamed f***, f***, f*** continuously from the time we were strapped in to the end of the ride, not my cup of tea.

90 mins for Saw on a weekday??

Tell me there's a good reason for this, other than the awful truck loads of Merlin excuses we've had so far this season.. ?

90minutes ovbiously isn't a "high enough demand" to add extra cars of course.

In actual fact, Saw has 8 cars on it's circuit, so running 4 is absolutely disgraceful. I'm unsure whether it can run all 8 at once, but I'm certain that it can run 7 cars on the track with one in the maintenance bay.

If they had bothered to add more cars to the circuit, as with the other coasters on one train operation, then queue times would have nearly been halved. Unfortunately, the "demand" wasn't "high enough" which meant that they couldn't be bothered to spend the money to add more trains to the circuit.

Saw can run all 8 cars at once; it regularly does.

I have no idea why they were running on reduced trains/cars on the coasters yesterday. The park was busier than a normal weekday, and the park would have benefited from it. The social media team saying it's because there's "not enough demand" is very much shooting themselves in the foot.

Saw ran with 6 cars Wednesday and the operator shouted through the tanoy twice asking the staff to speed things up as they were quite slow.

Only Swarm was being loaded and dispatched quickly on Wednesday. Stealth not too bad.

Colossus was painfully slow at loading. 20 mins for front row with only 7 people in front of us.

That is possibly the most illogical statement I've ever read. How can you possibly get more rides done by turning up later.

Well obviously over the course of a day you're not going to, but the queues dramatically dropped in waiting time yesterday after about two, Swarm was walk on while in the morning every time we ventured near it, the queue was back to the gate.

We got there yesterday at 10, took until 2 to do all the big rides only once each, got food, then between 3 and 4 did the same rides again, including twice on Stealth, if you can't see the pattern there, not my problem lol.

Swarm suffers from it being in part of the park far away from everything else. As a result people go there in the morning and simply dont return as they expect it to be a 45+minute queue. In reality by that time on a weekend the 2nd train has been added and the actual queue time is walk on. what should then happen is the advertised queue time should be dropped to 10 minutes but that suddenly means everyone comes over and its no longer 10 minutes. As a result from 2pm onwards the swarm island is often empty. 

Stealth fluctuates a lot, often having a high queues before lunch as its near all of the food places. it sometimes (really depends on the rest of the day) has a peak around 3:30 to 5:00 ish as people do it as their last ride before leaving. After 5pm the whole park is dead and most things have short queues. 

I'm pretty disheartened with Merlin this year. They just seem to get worse! Feels like they're so busy finding ways to take my money, yet their theme park operations are a complete shambles, and most people think that it's acceptable. It isn't.

I've got ONE paid for trip this season, and as a paying guest, I'll hit the roof if their below average operations are still a thing, and if anyone tells me there's 'no demand' to lessen MY paid for queuing time, I'll go crazy!

Phew.. Rant over.

I don't disagree with you, but you do highlight my point about times dropping towards the end of the day too.

I'm talking here from a Annual Passholder living on the doorstep's point of view, who can just run in mid-afternoon and enjoy a few rides while the Wife prepares dinner, not Joe Bloggs coming from Norfolk for a daytrip with 5 kids.

Your site has been a godsend this week btw, I guess it's raining at Thorpe atm since the queues are so short, wish my boy was here cos we'd jump in the car now if he was since the radar shows the rain will stop in about 15 minutes.

Saw was the only thing that closed yesterday because of wind, guess it depends on the wind direction really as last year the Swarm was closed most of the day because of wind, and Saw wasn't.

About Vortex being closed, I think it's suffering restraint issues as a photo on Facebook shows some of the backs of the seats have been taken off. I believe a few seats were closed when it first opened as well? 

11083916_435608046607664_269543010216706

(Photo from Theme park incorporated)