Closed Rides

Ash

The park are re-validating guests tickets today by the looks of things.

Doesn't solve the fact that the problem has been around for weeks now.

Also, when using your return ticket operations and rides available will be just as awful on your previous visit.

It's no different to offering fastrack, trying to cover up the problem temporarily doesn't resolve it! The park are all talk and no action. They need to sort themselves out, it just shows me that there is next to no point in renewing my annual pass anymore.

No it dont solve the underlying problem of the current bad reliability but with no Short-term fix its the best the park can do to compensate guests. 

Its a bit silly to think the park will be happy about a situation like this, its in their best interests for everything to be running perfectly instead of needing to give everyone comp tickets. 

I seem to be lucky with my visits, as I haven't had any bad experiences at the park recently? There's the things like one train operation at opening which are still happening, but (unfortunately) that's no worse than any other time of season at Thorpe I guess.

People are saying says like this are the norm at the moment, yet I've been having pretty decent days on park. Just seems odd..

I agree revalidating tickets is their only short term fix really. However someone above said Thorpe Park and poor reliability have gone hand in hand for years, which is why I don't have any sympathy as they should have sorted the problem a long time ago if they're not happy about it.

Other european parks manage fine...

Other non Merlin-owned parks I've visited in both the Autumn and Spring/Summer have all (or almost all) of their attractions open throughout the day. I know I can't speak for every park ever, but Merlin and other companies are particularly bad with reliability when compared to others.

And if I went to a good park, for instance Phantasialand, I wouldn't be as disappointed if a major attraction was shut because the entire park experience is, for me, a lot more enjoyable and well kept.

I know not all parks can have perfect reliability but if the money is there, I don't see why they can't be equal with other parks that set a high standard. That goes for cleanliness and upkeep as well.

Do they though? if you scan through a few parks on queue-times.com a fair few parks seem to have 3/4 rides closed at any one time..

That's because a lot of the parks on queue-times.com are owned by Merlin or Disney...

Merlin parks are known by enthusiasts for the worst reliability and that's why I tend to not choose parks like Heide Park or Gardaland for a holiday as it is expected for a significant portion of rides to be closed or on a reduced capacity.

Disney parks operate all year round therefore closures are to be expected due to maintenance having to take place during the season as the parks do not have a holiday like most European parks do.

It may also be worth nothing that Portaventura and a couple of other parks on queue-times.com display inaccurate queue times or do not work at all(for instance Portaventura hasn't been updated for months and the rides displayed as "closed" are actually open).

On my recent trips to parks as holidays; Europa Park, Portaventura etc., all rides were open despite some suffering breakdowns in the day. I understand breakdowns are common things at theme parks and technical difficulties are to be expected however 3-4 rides closed throughout the day or broken down at any one time should be an uncommon thing and has never happened at any park I've been to or heard about except for a standard Merlin Park.

^^ I can add to this and say during my visit to Heide Park last month...

Krake broke down on us on two consecutive days

Scream was shut completely for "maintenance" however nobody was ever working on it

Colossos broke down three times 

Grottenblitz was broken for most of the two days, only got to ride it once at the end of the second day

Limit broke down after we got out the station

Aqua Spin and many of the flats were down for most of the first day

It's not acceptable really. I know all rides break down and all, but it's not fair that ticket prices (and parking tickets) continue to rise without any new investment or an improvement in reliability. 

I hate to mention Phantasialand again, but during our two day visit, Colorado Adventure broke down once and I think that was literally it. I know they have less rides but it does make you think.

I agree revalidating tickets is their only short term fix really. However someone above said Thorpe Park and poor reliability have gone hand in hand for years, which is why I don't have any sympathy as they should have sorted the problem a long time ago if they're not happy about it.

Other european parks manage fine...

This is exactly why I don't have time for the excuses Thorpe give out for closures or to a lesser extent one train operation most of the time - they have been awful with reliability for as long as I can remember visiting, yet they still haven't got themselves to a state where they are running acceptably.

Rides not opening until 11 during summer holidays is dire, especially when they aren't advertised as staggered openings. In my opinion, they would benefit hugely from taking a year away from getting a new attraction and spending some money on their existing rides instead, as there are clearly some underlying issues at the park.

Just give up on them if you all hate the park so much. Yes its reliability is shocking and there operations are also shocking but they will only listen with a drop in revenue. I have no intention of returning to the park at any point in the next few years. There is only so far they can go before you can no longer justify going. Clearly for a lot of you they haven't reached that point. Yet.  

After my trip this week I've reached that point. Thorpe Park really does have some quality coasters and flat rides, but to me they're like a teenager who buys a flashy iPhone, but then smashes the screen and never bothers to fix it?

Rush used to be fab, now one side doesn't even swing 90 degrees either way. Samurai, well...

Detonator is still decent but it's just so obviously a travelling drop tower it hurts me when I see it. They have some great coasters like Stealth, Nemesis and Swarm, but like people have already said, the late openings and one train operation ruin some of them, as well as broken effects.

In my opinion, if they sorted out their operations, ability to take customer criticism and cleaned up the entire park, it would actually be a very special park with a great selection of attractions.

In all honesty, looking at Queue-times over the last few months and seeing (on most occasions I've looked, which might be badly timed) 8 rides at one point closed; for one excuse or another, has totally put me off going any time soon. 

Last time I was there, the pop music in the main entrance just seemed so unprofessional and left a bit of a bad taste, the shabby look of the entrance plaza, the poorly maintained car park and then the general grubbiness of the park coupled with the poor reliability just doesn't justify the journey... Which is a real shame as up to a couple of years ago, I rated Thorpe quite highly.. but now I'm starting to rate the likes of Drayton Manor higher.. and that place is a dump!

Just give up on them if you all hate the park so much. Yes its reliability is shocking and there operations are also shocking but they will only listen with a drop in revenue. I have no intention of returning to the park at any point in the next few years. There is only so far they can go before you can no longer justify going. Clearly for a lot of you they haven't reached that point. Yet.  

The amount of irony in the post is amazing <3

The water rides are shut, which I'm not surprised about with this awful weather.

This post is also quite ironic, what with water rides being apparently closed due to wet weather...

Come on Benin... I'm sure your more aware than most that heavy rain can affect water rides more than other rides with water levels and what not...

It's got to be REALLY heavy though, and for like, hours on a consistent level before it would cause any real flooding/danger...

Thunderstorms are obviously another matter, but 'heavy rain' is a poor excuse...