Phill

What is your orientation?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What is your orientation?

• Straight
    • Gay
    • Bisexual
    • Unsure

Be who you want to be. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Everyone has their own life, and is entitled to do what they want with it. If I meet someone who has a problem with my or anyone else's sexuality, then I don't have the time to waste on them. People treat sexuality as quite a large factor of your personality in my school, which I really hate. In my opinion, it's no-one else's business what your sexual orientation is, and it shouldn't be a factor that affects friendships/family relationships etc. I have friends of mixed sexualities, and to be honest I don't give a flying monkeys about what sexuality they are, it doesn't affect their personality in any way.

I'm 100% straight although I could usually say if one guy is better looking that another.Gays from around where I am will have the mick taken out of them if they come out, ALOT. That is what people are like =/On the other hand, the lesbians and bisexual girls come out about it and nobody really says anything. Even if I said a guy was good looking, everyone would make fun of me.One of my best mates is gay but has only told me - he is scared to how his parents will react =/

I don't understand why "coming out" is such a big thing. Straight people don't "come out". Do people just presume that if you don't say a word about your sexual orientation then you're straight? It's as if being straight is normal, and you only have to say if you are an exception. It's completely wrong. If someone asks me my sexuality, then I will tell them. I don't feel it's necessary for me to run around shouting out my sexual preferences, whether I am straight, gay, or otherwise.

I don't understand why "coming out" is such a big thing. Straight people don't "come out". Do people just presume that if you don't say a word about your sexual orientation then you're straight? It's as if being straight is normal, and you only have to say if you are an exception. It's completely wrong. If someone asks me my sexuality, then I will tell them. I don't feel it's necessary for me to run around shouting out my sexual preferences, whether I am straight, gay, or otherwise.

Obviously, if you don't come out to anyone. People will think you are straight as they don't know! :PI am lucky as I have told most of my friends now that I am Bi and they are all fine with it.To be honest, being in Brighton does have its advantages. Anyone giving any racial or homophobic abuse will be removed from my college.I am not the only one who is not straight, and I have even Gay teachers. (Which is a laugh at times :P)Most people won't come out to there parents as they are scared as to how they will react. ( I am the same). We can all think we are so mature that we don't need our parents. But you would be surprised how much we actually rely on them!I agree with you Paul. You shoudn't need to run around saying what orienatation you are.I am what I am, and I can't change how I feel. I have to say that, as I said above, Brighton does have its advantages as there is less homophobic abuse.I was actually shocked some of the comments I got in London at first. (Then again, I will hold my boyfriends hand and kiss like any other couple. Why should I have to move aside from everyone when I am human!)

I don't understand why "coming out" is such a big thing.

Because it's the negative stereotype the gay community has helped in-force. They prance around at pride events in leather hot pants wanting acceptance, and yet they do so much to distance themselves from 'normal'. I didn't even look at as 'coming out', I just HAPPEN to like boys, I'm not gonna say I'm gay, cos 90% of the gay community are ******s.

he is scared to how his parents will react

And it's because of what I wrote up there that parents get upset. They think there son / daughter has changed, so get upset. They don't understand that they're the exact same they've always been. Which is why I didn't tell my parents I'm gay, I just started bringing my boyfriend home, and eventually they just asked "____ your boyfriend?" to which I gave a simple "yes", and life moved on. No drama. They're fine, I'm fine, we're all fan-****ing-tastic.

See its the other way round for my parents.... my mum and family WANT me to be gay... I'm not coming out to them yet though.

I am sort of like you Ricky.My mum keeps on saying that "I would make a great gay cause of how I talk and how I walk etc" ;) Is that that obvious? :) ;)My Dad however would NEVER want me to be gay. That is the only reason why I am not out to my family.If any of my friends and people in college ask if I am gay. I say I am Bisexual.And I have been getting quite alot of "I thought you would be gay! That has shocked me!"I know it is easier said than done for some people, but coming out to your friends / people in your school / college is easy really.You say it and if they don't like it, tough!So far, I have had no one dislike me for it. If anything, I feel more relaxed and able to be myself.I mean, I am not the only one. There is already like 3 gays in my English class alone! :PI can understand people not coming out to there parents though.

People at school always say to me, "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you were gay!". So many people have said it now, that I just find it funny when they do and reply, "Maybe I am!". I say that I'm not gay loosely, for the fact that I'm not in and never have had a same sex relationship before. I don't think I can really say what I am until I've had experience in relationships with both sexes.

You seem very open minded then!

Yes! I don't think that I can exactly say that I have a preference of same/different sex relationships, when I have only had experience with one before!I feel that it doesn't matter of the persons gender, if you have a great time with them, then that's all that matters.

Well yeah.. although in a same sex relationship, the funny looks you get from the public makes me laugh really. I actually had some homophobic abuse the other week, I was on a train going to London from Dartford and I was just holding hands with the boyfriend when this group of.. I don't like the word Chav so we shall call them, cavemen, walk past, throw newspaper at us and then said "we don't want to be on a part of the train with the gays." They then walked off...It was probably the most surreal moment of my life.

ROFL! It's actually really scary that people seriously think like that- in 2009!I do like reading other people's experiences, it's pretty inspiring. There will be people who read this and feel more comfortable about themselves. It can be such a traumatic experience for some people, to even come to terms with it themselves.Love them more.

• 1 month later...

Recently, I was in drama class and made a comment about a film we had watched. I have no clue what I said but it inspired one of the bully type b*tches to turn around and snap: 'are you a lesbian?!'. Now, as pathetic as it sounds, I am terrified of this girl and immediately said no with a bit of a 'how ridiculous' expression. I'm bi and I do feel ashamed to feel the need to hide it. Going to an all girls school really doesn't help. The last girl to 'come out' was bullied out of school and this from a very strong minded girl. I, on the other hand, am completely weak and wouldn't be able to cope at all.Even today some comments were made. One girl in my business class was asked by one of the b*tches if she is a lesbian. The girl said no but was then asked 'do you fancy *another bitchy girl*'. They were all taking the piss and giggling, thinking it was hilarious. I really felt like standing up and saying: 'Even if she was a lesbian, she would in no way be attracted to a self-centered, shallow, rude, bitch like you' ...if only I had the guts :\

I suggest you should stand up, because if you don't stand up for yourself and show people that you aren't weak and you shouldnt be treated like that, how will you ever be able to stand up for yourself. And you can take the first step by telling that fugly skunk (you know what I'm really trying to say) to FO. :lol:Those girls are at that age, where they're immature and they are unfamiliar with that type of thing and it causes them to act that way. If you decided to tell them, 'you're bi...so what??' - it's not a big deal and it doesnt change the person who are and if those chavs cant deal with it, it's their homophobic problems and insecurities.

I disagree with Will. If you are in an all girl school, and they are as aggressive as this, then I would continue as you are, until you leave the school. No point in setting yourself up for trouble. I guess school comes first, your life comes second, at least at school for now.

I agree with Peter.I think that if you were to come out, and not be able to cope with other peoples immiturity, then wait.If you really wanted to start to 'come out; , then maybe start off on some close friends that you know you can trust.I was exactly the same I told my best friend, and she was fine with it.This gave me the confidence to come out to others.The best thing to do is go with what you mind tells you. :lol:And Ellie, you will be fine. After meeting you, are are DEFINATELY a strong character! :lol:

Thanks guys for the advice and opinions. I have told a few friends and was very careful in choosing who I told. I cannot wait to escape from the immaturity that seems to flood the halls of my school. I am constantly being told I'm mature for my age but perhaps it's the other way round in that everyone else is too immature for their age! Will, I would absolutely love to do just that but I'm not very good at standing up for myself. I'd much rather keep my head down and avoid confrontation. I just can't wait to leave school and be open about my sexuality.Thanks Keith for the extra comment! You're a darling! :lol: And hi there James! Welcome aboard! :P