Six Flags Magic Mountain

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to go but now I'm going to cedarpoint, due to the fact that there are only 2 rides that really apeel to me at sfmm and about 4 at cedar point. these are millenum force, ttd, maverick ang manum. wher as at sfmm theres X2 and tatsu maby terminator that looks okayish.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone ever visited a six flags park or magic mountain?.

If not you should, It has a couple of rides that are absolutely amazing like x2 an arrow dynamics 4D coaster or tatsu a B&M flying coaster also superman escape from krypton an intamin launch coaster, this record braking park should not be missed if visiting california, The best time to visit is late august when queues are around 0-10minuets during weekdays :)

I visited in early September and also found a deserted park. The only queue was for X2 as it spent most of the day broken (still a common occurrence I understand).

My highlights along with X2 were Salvation (amazing woodie) and Goliath (for the crazy never ending greyout inducing end).

It is also home of the worlds first ever looping coaster which is nice one to have under your belt. Also loved Ninja, as I can't get enough of the inexplicably rare suspended coasters

I wasn't so much of a fan of Tatsu though, it is big and impressive but just does not ride that well. Superman also does not live up to its size with a lacklustre launch.

It is a great place to go though, along with Knotts Berry Farm, as long as you are after big thrills rather than escapism.

Went a few weeks ago. Highlights were Apocalypse and Tatsu. Ninja (Heeeyyaa!) and Goliath were fun, as were Riddlers and Batman. Scream was alright. I quite liked Viper. Superman was closed. Green Lantern was just pure pain.

X2 was dissapointing. First drop and Raven were awesome, then it just becomes uneventful, boring and just beats the **** out of you. It was just like Mean Streak on every valley... I thought there were ment to be effects on this thing too... no fire, mist, music or anything....

Oh and Jet Stream was an awesome flume!

X2 was dissapointing. First drop and Raven were awesome, then it just becomes uneventful, boring and just beats the **** out of you. It was just like Mean Streak on every valley...

This is with the revamp? Ew...

I went years ago now... It is certainly a weird park... Some parts are nice (especially around the mountain) but other parts are just plain awful...

I was there not long ago for the first time ever, and I had mixed feelings about this park also. Was disappointed about Superman being down, due to the drop towers being constructed. Tatsu is now my favorite flyer, that Pretzel loop is intense. Other highlights were Riddler's Revenge, Goliath, Scream and Viper. Revolution was ruined, due to the OTSR's, Green Lantern should never have been built, it was terrible.

I was there not long ago for the first time ever, and I had mixed feelings about this park also. Was disappointed about Superman being down, due to the drop towers being constructed. Tatsu is now my favorite flyer, that Pretzel loop is intense. Other highlights were Riddler's Revenge, Goliath, Scream and Viper. Revolution was ruined, due to the OTSR's, Green Lantern should never have been built, it was terrible.

How were the queues?, When I went last year I didn't go on green lantern due to it being down, But I'm glad that I didn't go on it now due to the painful reviews. I also didn't ride superman because It looked so daunting which was a shame because I feel bad for not riding it now. Tatsu was amazing and I do agree that the pretzel loop is so intense. x2 was an amazing roller coaster and Its my fav coaster at the moment, I did the ride both in the daytime and at night, but oh boy at night the effects come to play like the fire+sound and the lighting which makes the ride so awesome. I did do riddlers my legs killed after the ride, Scream and viper were awesome too :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - but remember the theme park tickets are cheap because

1) They charge anywhere between $10 and $20 to park (we don't)

2) Six Flags charge you (when I went) $1 per ride to store your items in a locker (otherwise you were not let on a ride)

3) $8 - $10 for a slice of pizza

And all these prices are before sales tax!

Whilst their rides are okay, Six Flags' parks make Merlin parks look like GOLD when it comes to cost and theming!

Yes - but remember the theme park tickets are cheap because

1) They charge anywhere between $10 and $20 to park (we don't)

2) Six Flags charge you (when I went) $1 per ride to store your items in a locker (otherwise you were not let on a ride)

3) $8 - $10 for a slice of pizza

And all these prices are before sales tax!

Whilst their rides are okay, Six Flags' parks make Merlin parks look like GOLD when it comes to cost and theming!

Yes, This is true. But merlin's range of rides are next to none against six flags parks, Plus they're open a lot later then merlin parks daily and seasonal, you get more for your cash.

Whilst Six Flags parks might have more rides than Merlin parks, they also have a lot more crap...

Quality over Quantity please... Magic Mountain might have the highest amount of coasters, but some of them are rubbish...

Besides, they have barely any (in comparison to the UK especially) much stopping them building 200ft+ coasters everytime... We can't do this aside from one park (and even then it's difficult due to the flight path overhead)...

It's way too difficult to compare UK and America parks, as they are way too different in near enough every aspect...

Whilst Six Flags parks might have more rides than Merlin parks, they also have a lot more crap...

Quality over Quantity please... Magic Mountain might have the highest amount of coasters, but some of them are rubbish...

Besides, they have barely any (in comparison to the UK especially) much stopping them building 200ft+ coasters everytime... We can't do this aside from one park (and even then it's difficult due to the flight path overhead)...

It's way too difficult to compare UK and America parks, as they are way too different in near enough every aspect...

Again I do agree with you, They do have some BRILLIANT rides at SFMM in comparison to the U.K though, Like Tatsu, X2, Riddlers Revenge, Scream and Superman escape from krypton. Yes I do agree they've got some crap ones too.

Also we in the U.K have strict height restrictions for our parks. I mean why should we. Chessington isn't in a residential area. I'm not sure about a major flight path being over head of that park but there are some parks that should be allowed to have great tall rides that bring people from all over the world too bask in the rides greatness. I mean I know the park you're talking about Thorpe Park's airspace is taken with Terminal 5s planes. So they have heavy restrictions on height. And there are many crap rides in UK theme parks too, like some coasters in Thorpe or Chessington. Blackpool Pleasure Beaches rides look great and tall too.

Chessie is in a residential area... They also have an issue of green belt land sitting right next door, so they cannot build tall attractions without a lot of effort or some tactical plays at the office (Fury's lifthill for example)...

You cannot simply allow parks to build tall attractions, it's relatively simple that point, as a result of NIMBYs (Towers/Chessie/Paultons), other planning issues such as the aforementioned green belt (Chessie), tree line max height (Towers) and even lack of space (Thorpe in a few years/Blackpool) or money to invest (Every other park not mentioned)...

Of course the UK have poor coasters as well, but the overall percentage of them over the entire country is nowhere near the probable percentage of poor coasters at a particular park in the US (Cedar Point is a good example here), let alone the entire place...

But you seem to have this view of bigger = better... If there's one thing Nemesis taught the coaster world 18 years ago, you don't have to go up to create an amazing world class coaster... Indeed, these stricter planning permissions allowed Towers to create two of the best rides (Oblivion and Nemesis) which are miles better than their taller, fastest, longer American counterparts...

• 1 month later...

I've never seen any amazing theming at Six Flags... ever. Just... concrete. Whilst their rides are good at entertaining one for the duration of the attraction - they don't leave a lasting impact. I STILL look forward to entering the Vampire's castle, the vault in Hex or Jigsaw's warehouse. As far as I'm concerned, AIR is the only flying coaster worth riding; it was the first in the world and doesn't go over a parking lot.

• 1 month later...

The site for Full Throttle at Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently being cleared, but when seeing a bunch of photos this stood out to me.

Posted Image

Tatsu looks really old and worn out! I didn't know the California sun was that hurtful to B&Ms. How does Silver Bullet at Knotts compare?

And also I'm sad that they're building another coaster where a fairly good log flume was placed. It'll be sandwiched between Superman: Escape from Krypton, Tatsu, Revolution, and Goldrusher. Probably why the log flume felt so well placed as it used to be one ride that broke up the continuous streams of roller coasters. I really have that 'what now?' feeling for SFMM.

Photo credit to 'Sir Clinksalot' from MiceChat.com

• 3 months later...