Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six flags recognise the importance to keep their rides covered in a good coat of paint to prevent rusting. More expensive short term but will get a few more years out of the rides in the long term. Where as merlin only seem to focus on short term costs. 

I'm still not convinced on the RMC treatment but this ride does look good. 

Scream last year looked like a run down shanty town as did Colossos. Boarded up shops, run down toilets. We don't have to drag Merlin into every single topic, I'm getting fed up of it.

Scream last year looked like a run down shanty town as did Colossos. Boarded up shops, run down toilets. We don't have to drag Merlin into every single topic, I'm getting fed up of it.

Yes but Six Flags are doing something about it!

Also, Scream is built on car park.  No amount of paint can excuse that.

It's more the fact that they didn't even bother to paint over the lines, if they'd completely hidden the fact that it used to be a car park then I don't think it would matter.

That means bugger all Jamie if they 'are doing something about it'. I don't know if or when I'll be going back to Magic Mountain. My memory of Scream is a worn down, faded colour roller coaster, down a cul de sac of metal fencing, ply wood and graffitti. It means diddly squat that it's being sorted for the year after my visit. The car park lines were the least of the rides problems as who goes on a roller coaster and says to themselves 'gee, this roller coaster with a tenuous theme based around screaming, is built over an old car park.' Crikey oh riley.

Its annoying me this merlin bashing, six flags, let that area get really run down like others have said above, now the area is getting a spruce up and a repaint, the same people are like, oh well they are much better then merlin because they are doing something about that area. Lest we not forget about the spruce up of x sector and dark forest when The Smiler and Thirteen came along respectively, admittedly it was not a spruce up on Europa park scale but they still made the area look better then they did before in my opinion, so to say six flags are better then merlin is a load of wallop, they are both as bad as each other as they have both let theme park areas in their respective parks, rot and look like crap... Regardless of whether they are doing something now. So please stop merlin bashing please...

So what you are saying is that white lines trigger you?

No, I just can't understand why they would install a B&M floorless, which is probably a brilliant coaster, and not even bother to cover over them!

That means bugger all Jamie if they 'are doing something about it'. I don't know if or when I'll be going back to Magic Mountain. My memory of Scream is a worn down, faded colour roller coaster, down a cul de sac of metal fencing, ply wood and graffitti. It means diddly squat that it's being sorted for the year after my visit. The car park lines were the least of the rides problems as who goes on a roller coaster and says to themselves 'gee, this roller coaster with a tenuous theme based around screaming, is built over an old car park.' Crikey oh riley.

Well I would certainly notice, people care about how things are presented and it's just stupid to leave them there!

Also, what you seem to be saying is that because the ride was in a poor condition when you last visited, you don't give them any credit for repainting it - in which case, the same could be said for people who haven't been to Alton Towers since Oblivion was repainted yet you are defending that.

Commenting on the appearance of rides isn't Merlin bashing, it's more just saying that they look awful, which the GP do notice, look at the Facebook comments on the latest picture of Colossus in the snow at Thorpe!  I don't see what's wrong with commenting on something that you think should be changed - if nobody highlighted the faults of the park then they wouldn't know what customers want.

No, I just can't understand why they would install a B&M floorless, which is probably a brilliant coaster, and not even bother to cover over them!

Well I would certainly notice, people care about how things are presented and it's just stupid to leave them there!

Also, what you seem to be saying is that because the ride was in a poor condition when you last visited, you don't give them any credit for repainting it - in which case, the same could be said for people who haven't been to Alton Towers since Oblivion was repainted yet you are defending that.

Commenting on the appearance of rides isn't Merlin bashing, it's more just saying that they look awful, which the GP do notice, look at the Facebook comments on the latest picture of Colossus in the snow at Thorpe!  I don't see what's wrong with commenting on something that you think should be changed - if nobody highlighted the faults of the park then they wouldn't know what customers want.

Either, I'm getting my point across wrongly or you're putting words in my mouth. 

Fact 1. When I went Scream, Colossus and the area around it were in bad condition.

Fact 2. I have neither said it is a good or bad thing that Scream is getting a refurbishment. (It's a brilliant thing if you want my opinion. Tatsu needs it next)

Fact 3. I did not bring Merlin into the discussion. I'm irritated that every time a park chain or theme park does some kind of work on a ride, Merlin are bought up unnecessarily. Especially, in this circumstance when Merlin have refurbished something and they still get a good kicking.

Fact 4. I'll be the first to criticise something if I personally don't like it. That has rubbed people up the wrong way at times (such as when I didn't like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey). I also compliment highly when a park does something I consider worthy of praise such as the work done on Rattlesnakes queue line at Chessington or the added lift hill section on the Rapids at Europa Park.

Fact 5. I never said you can't criticise Merlin. It needs to be balanced though. Just going 'Merlin don't do this, Merlin don't do that' is silly at best, tiresome at worst. Especially in a topic about a theme park thousands of miles away that probably doesn't even know Thorpe Park exists.

Either, I'm getting my point across wrongly or you're putting words in my mouth. 

Fact 1. When I went Scream, Colossus and the area around it were in bad condition.

Fact 2. I have neither said it is a good or bad thing that Scream is getting a refurbishment. (It's a brilliant thing if you want my opinion. Tatsu needs it next)

Fact 3. I did not bring Merlin into the discussion. I'm irritated that every time a park chain or theme park does some kind of work on a ride, Merlin are bought up unnecessarily. Especially, in this circumstance when Merlin have refurbished something and they still get a good kicking.

Fact 4. I'll be the first to criticise something if I personally don't like it. That has rubbed people up the wrong way at times (such as when I didn't like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey). I also compliment highly when a park does something I consider worthy of praise such as the work done on Rattlesnakes queue line at Chessington or the added lift hill section on the Rapids at Europa Park.

Fact 5. I never said you can't criticise Merlin. It needs to be balanced though. Just going 'Merlin don't do this, Merlin don't do that' is silly at best, tiresome at worst. Especially in a topic about a theme park thousands of miles away that probably doesn't even know Thorpe Park exists.

Fair enough, I obviously read the point wrong, as you said it meant bugger all which suggested that you didn't care as you already saw it in bad condition.

I think that people refer to Merlin so much because they are the biggest theme park operator in the UK, so they are a good comparison point, maybe sometimes it's unnecessary but what else can be used to draw comparisons to?  Personally I don't see what's wrong with it, it's not as if they are going to care anyway!

It's a matter of what side you stand on. I bet on some Six flags, or, I've seen it on TPR and even the old TST, where people say that merlin are doing a great job and that parks like knott's and SF's are a bunch of shambles.

This is not what I'm saying at all. I think it's all on ones perspective.

I think it's nice that Six flags are trying to clean up the area for twisted Colossus. It would be great if they tried to remove some of that cement car park though, too! ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...