Jump to content

Rocky Express


Holly
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't go to Thorpe without riding Rocky, otherwise I don't feel like the day has been complete. It's a nice little ride that breaks up the day and I absolutely enjoy every minute of it, once or twice I have danced in the queue line with various peeps to 5,6,7,8 and sung along to Dolly Parton ;) but enough of my silly little antics and back to how great the wonderful ride of Rocky Express is. I remember as a little kid riding rocky when it was situated in Octopus Gardens, many people seem to forget that it hasn't spent all it's life at Thorpe in Canada Creek. Where it used to be situated you could get a good backdrop of Depth Charge in the background when it used to be one of the main rides in the park.Rocky is a Hoot - Woot, Rocky is a hoot - Woot :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I don't know how long it's been like this, or if it was just a one off but the theme on the annual pass day (Sunday) was there old fright nights music for rocky, not there actual theme. I prefer this one anyway and think this is the right one to be played all year round, it just makes the ride more fun than it is.

Link- http://www.merlin-media.net/audio/thorpe/Rocky%20Express%20-%20Theme%20Fright%20Nights.mp3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know how long it's been like this, or if it was just a one off but the theme on the annual pass day (Sunday) was there old fright nights music for rocky, not there actual theme. I prefer this one anyway and think this is the right one to be played all year round, it just makes the ride more fun than it is.

Link- http://www.merlin-media.net/audio/thorpe/Rocky%20Express%20-%20Theme%20Fright%20Nights.mp3

Ah yes, the Beetlejuice theme. I'm sure it was like that most of last season too but I'm rather keen on it so no complaints!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 years later...

Hi all as we know Rocky Express is being removed from Thorpe. Can anyone tell me if it’s been sold. If it has can someone inform me on which Theme Park have bought it? If you would rather contact me confidentiality you can PM on Messenger. My real name is George Koshti-Richman. If I’m told any information I promise not to tell anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Hi all as we know Rocky Express is being removed from Thorpe. Can anyone tell me if it’s been sold. If it has can someone inform me on which Theme Park have bought it? If you would rather contact me confidentiality you can PM on Messenger.

 

Has is officially been announced as permanently closed though? My understanding was that was mostly speculation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Merged thread with original Rocky thread (and blew off a lot of dust in the process)

 

 

 

There has been nothing official to say Rocky Express is leaving. There has been a lot of speculation, and usually there's no smoke without fire. But it is not absolutely confirmed it is leaving.

 

I reckon there's a high chance it will leave. I also think if it does leave, it won't be sold...it's a ride which is over 35 years old. If anyone did want it, they'd be much better off buying a brand new one. I guess we could see some of its parts harvested and sent to Chessington if they match, but that's about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Merged thread with original Rocky thread (and blew off a lot of dust in the process)

 

 

 

There has been nothing official to say Rocky Express is leaving. There has been a lot of speculation, and usually there's no smoke without fire. But it is not absolutely confirmed it is leaving.

 

I reckon there's a high chance it will leave. I also think if it does leave, it won't be sold...it's a ride which is over 35 years old. If anyone did want it, they'd be much better off buying a brand new one. I guess we could see some of its parts harvested and sent to Chessington if they match, but that's about it.

Why Chessington they don't have the same ride? 
 

Everyone forgets Legoland which actually has the same ride, merlins challenge 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had the folly reply from a source that shall remain anonymous. Should I believe it?

Hi George,

Rocky Express has been sold and will not be joining the ride line-up at Chessington for 2022. 

Seastorm is currently under going a big refurbishment program to extend its operational life at Chessington. With a large number of new parts on the way. This is the reason for its earlier closure this season. Delays in getting the parts to the park have slowed down progress, but it will reopen in 2022. 

The post you linked above is speculation on our part and isn’t based on anything other than our  own thoughts. We’ve not got any official news about new rides for 2022, but we believe if there were, Pirates Cove could be a good location for them. 

Thanks for your message. Have a good day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2021 at 11:34 PM, RobF said:

Why Chessington they don't have the same ride? 
 

Everyone forgets Legoland which actually has the same ride, merlins challenge 

 

The reason I mentioned Chessington is because that's where the discussion has been focused, due to Seastorm's early closure and rumours around Rocky being harvested for it. The rides are similar enough that one would imagine that there could be similar ride parts between them.

Of course, Merlin's Challenge could also be suitable.

 

Ultimately though, even if Rocky has indeed gone and is being scrapped, it's also fair to wonder if it's even worth harvesting its parts for another ride.

 

1 hour ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I have had the folly reply from a source that shall remain anonymous. Should I believe it?

Hi George,

Rocky Express has been sold and will not be joining the ride line-up at Chessington for 2022. 

Seastorm is currently under going a big refurbishment program to extend its operational life at Chessington. With a large number of new parts on the way. This is the reason for its earlier closure this season. Delays in getting the parts to the park have slowed down progress, but it will reopen in 2022. 

The post you linked above is speculation on our part and isn’t based on anything other than our  own thoughts. We’ve not got any official news about new rides for 2022, but we believe if there were, Pirates Cove could be a good location for them. 

Thanks for your message. Have a good day. 

 

It's impossible to answer your question on if you should believe it without you giving the source. If the source is, say, the Head of Engineering from Chessington, then it's something you probably should believe. If the source is CheekyChessingtonChannel on Youtube with 5 subscribers and 2 grainy POV videos of Dragon's Fury and Vampire, maybe not.

 

Based on the context, I'm going to assume the source is Chessington Buzz (given their recent speculation post about Pirates Cove). That's certainly a more reliable source than many others around. But it doesn't necessarily mean they're right. It's up to you if you believe them.

 

 

An interesting claim that Rocky Express has been sold. It's hardly an expensive type of ride, and it's old and has seen better days. Not to say Rocky needs to be scrapped, as it's still a perfectly fine operational ride. But you'd have to wonder what sort of place would really want to buy it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...