Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Topsyturvy15

Those prices sound ludicrous, £7 for star shape is a lot.

Doubt I'll do more than 2/3 rides when I go as I'd probably need a loan to ride everything there.

My local fair which comes in may usually with a decent selection of rides (booster, extreme,Tagada etc.) and most rides are £2/£3 which is much more reasonable.

If you guys want a cheap price. The only option is going on the evening before the event starts, the VIP preview. These wristbands are sold before the event and cost £30 for unlimited riding for the evening of 5-10pm aswell as getting to be in the event and seeing some famous faces around. The tickets are strictly limited and sell out way before the preview. In this case, the preview day was yesterday. I was hoping to go but they sold out before I could grab my hands on a wristband...Oh and by the way, apparently a crazy mouse is charging a tenna when it would be like £1.50 at a normal fair. Its from France though so maybe that explains things!? ;)

You tell us this today .... :/

The event is fantastic this year, really really impressed me.

Highly recommend everyone tries out the Mondial Turbine 'Gladiator' there, over 200ft tall & travelling at a top speed of 110kph it's something which really draws in the crowds. Priced at £8. The view the ride offers over London is outstanding, particularly when the ride stops you at the top rotating whilst the other gondola is loaded. Rode it twice today and both rides were really quite different to each other, yet still extremely good.

The event is fantastic this year, really really impressed me.

Highly recommend everyone tries out the Mondial Turbine 'Gladiator' there, over 200ft tall & travelling at a top speed of 110kph it's something which really draws in the crowds. Priced at £8. The view the ride offers over London is outstanding, particularly when the ride stops you at the top rotating whilst the other gondola is loaded. Rode it twice today and both rides were really quite different to each other, yet still extremely good.

Apparently only one of the arms is spinning round sideways- make sure you get on that side as if you don't it will just make it seem like a very overpriced booster maxx!

The prices are awful, but yeah, the rides still have queues so they can keep the prices high. There's plenty of rich tourists/locals who can treat themselves or their kids in the park and the prices keep on crawling higher and higher. They did drop some ride fees by a pound recently though. Still silly high, none the less! I saw one girl with a Winter Wonderland pass around her neck, she showed it at the ride gates and got in. Wonder what that was all about? She looked too young to work there. Probably something money can't buy...

I had been looking forward to going to Air, but £7 made me cringe and return home without a go at it :( Returned 1,5 weeks later though and found out the price had gone down to £6. I was with a friend who's never been to a thrill ride so decided if she dared to come with me, I'd manage to live with that price. She loved the ride :D

The prices are awful, but yeah, the rides still have queues so they can keep the prices high. There's plenty of rich tourists/locals who can treat themselves or their kids in the park and the prices keep on crawling higher and higher. They did drop some ride fees by a pound recently though. Still silly high, none the less! I saw one girl with a Winter Wonderland pass around her neck, she showed it at the ride gates and got in. Wonder what that was all about? She looked too young to work there. Probably something money can't buy...

I had been looking forward to going to Air, but £7 made me cringe and return home without a go at it :( Returned 1,5 weeks later though and found out the price had gone down to £6. I was with a friend who's never been to a thrill ride so decided if she dared to come with me, I'd manage to live with that price. She loved the ride :D

The pass is called a 'traders pass'. It is strictly for people working at the event and friends and family of people working there or the owners of the rides. The traders pass allows you into all rides and attractions for free. There is no way to buy them or anything like that!

Suprised they lowered the prices, maybe less people going on the rides than usual! Wonder which rides got lowered?

I went to WW on Sunday - never been before and enjoyed it - although going back later in the early evening it was absolutely rammed so we didn't stay long. I did 3 rides - the indoor coaster (can't remember the name), the Wild Maus coaster, and a flat ride which made me feel just a lil bit sick. There is no way I could have afforded to go on anything else, although Air looked very tempting.

Would love to have the guts to go on the Mondial Turbine ride but the fact that you are stopped at the top while they load more people on puts me off a tad!

I think they need to lower the prices by a few quid, but saying that, all the while people are paying then they are going to continue to charge what they do

Winter Wonderland itself I was impressed with - it is really Christmassy (although I am not a lover of Christmas) - and I was so glad that it wasn't "just" Christmas music that was played.

It is a shame they don't do a wristband thing but I guess they would lose a fair bit of money that way. Couldn't believe the price of Ice Skating - around £14 I think and it sold out twice when we were there - are people mad?!

You're back!!!! :D

How did you find the ice mountain, was it good? I haven't been in it myself because of appalling reviews saying that there is no scenery or effects inside. Also what was the flat ride you went on, I probably would have enjoyed it as I'm into that kinda stuff :P

There's a POV of it on YouTube -

It looks very poor.

You're back!!!! :D

How did you find the ice mountain, was it good? I haven't been in it myself because of appalling reviews saying that there is no scenery or effects inside. Also what was the flat ride you went on, I probably would have enjoyed it as I'm into that kinda stuff :P

I actually enjoyed Ice Mountain :ph34r: although there are naff all special effects apart from some (what I assume are) clouds dangling from the ceiling. It is far from a thrill ride but I found it quite fun, especially when it started spinning - wouldn't pay to go on it again though - bit of a rip off.

Wild Maus was good although it is a flippin' assault course just getting on to the ride - it is a miracle I didn't fall over and do myself an injury :D

The flat ride that I went on was Snow Jet - was fine with it until it sped up and started swinging about :o

I visited a few weeks ago.

Disappointingly I didn't think much of Air, the starshape ride which I was really looking forward too. I was hoping it might be a better version of Samurai but came of feeling slightly let down. (May have hyped myself up too much)

I thought the ride selection including the danish fun house walk through and Ice Kingdom were impressive, as were the never ending alleys of stalls and games.

However despite the effort that was clearly put into this event, the expesinsive prices and poor attitude of certain staff member left me leaving with a sour taste in my mouth. Nice day but I doubt I will be returning for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Monday, had a great time. Love the food and drink they put on, reminds me of skiing holiday times. the sausages are amazing and we worked our way through as many varieties of mulled wine and cider s we could find. Honey mead was our favorite.

We didn't do many rides, primarily because of the crazy prices. I really don't understand it, I'm sure they know what they are doing and have done the maths but most of them are going round basically empty most of the time. If they charged less I'm sure they'd be full and overall make more money? Was near some of the kids rides at 3 or 4 quid a go for a while and saw no one go on them at all, if they were a quid a pop they'd make thousands. As it was we only bothered with a couple of bits, my favorite being the 'indoor' coaster, I'm a sucker for a spinner and thought that was a particularly good one even if the inside of the mountain was a bit lacking. We would have gone on a lot more, and spent a lot more over all, if the prices were at least reasonable. We meant to go back and try the pirates walk through thing but never did, anyone know what goes on in there?

We also went for a walk along Southbank which has a Christmas market. If you're a fan of the food and drink side of Winter Wonderland I recommend there instead. Identical products on offer (in exactly the same stalls), but a lot of it is much cheaper. There is also a Carousel if you are desperate for a ride of some sort!

Went on Monday, had a great time. Love the food and drink they put on, reminds me of skiing holiday times. the sausages are amazing and we worked our way through as many varieties of mulled wine and cider s we could find. Honey mead was our favorite.

We didn't do many rides, primarily because of the crazy prices. I really don't understand it, I'm sure they know what they are doing and have done the maths but most of them are going round basically empty most of the time. If they charged less I'm sure they'd be full and overall make more money? Was near some of the kids rides at 3 or 4 quid a go for a while and saw no one go on them at all, if they were a quid a pop they'd make thousands. As it was we only bothered with a couple of bits, my favorite being the 'indoor' coaster, I'm a sucker for a spinner and thought that was a particularly good one even if the inside of the mountain was a bit lacking. We would have gone on a lot more, and spent a lot more over all, if the prices were at least reasonable. We meant to go back and try the pirates walk through thing but never did, anyone know what goes on in there?

We also went for a walk along Southbank which has a Christmas market. If you're a fan of the food and drink side of Winter Wonderland I recommend there instead. Identical products on offer (in exactly the same stalls), but a lot of it is much cheaper. There is also a Carousel if you are desperate for a ride of some sort!

Pirates walk through has seven different rooms with different effects and and a story teller robot in each. The story progresses throughout with different parts of the ship and then a big finale on show. There are some nice surprises (see the room before the staircase in particular!) and the finale is also worthwhile as well. Its not really a funhouse but it is well worth doing and we enjoyed it and found it well worth the money!!

Atmosphere is amazing, established I hate crowded places filled with slow walkers, XL Wilde Maus was pretty fun but the highlight was the 'funhouse' queue. I don't even know what the name is but Gladiator(?) - which we payed £8 for - was absolute **** and not worth the money at all. Although whilst we were stuck at the top for 5 minutes I suppose it gave a nice view :P