The Smiler

th13teen

Well its definately the track, I think it will be closed for a few days.

1003490_594396483924867_1322157114_n.jpg

Looks like the damage is on the first or second (not to sure from the pic) dive loop before the first bunny hop hill. I have never heard the track splitting because of a bolt. Yep its going to be down for a few days.

To my untrained eye it looks like a fairly major problem, be amazed if it reopens quickly. Even if it is an easy fix in itself surely the track joins shouldn't be under that sort of pressure where they want to pull apart when 'released'?

You'd have to ask how much strain the remaining join would be under if a train were to pass over it in that state, and where its total failure point would be. If it gave way completely the result would surely be catastrophic, with an at height and at speed derailment possible? I would imagine this is the sort of thing the H&S executive would want to look at and sign off before it reopens, rightly in my view.

Of course, it is possible that picture is massively deceptive!

When the tracks at London Waterloo warped last week, all trains on the London and South Western Mainline were cancelled because the rails had expanded by up to 4 inches and some points. However, the whole thing was open and working again the next day. The thing just needs to cool to a size that will allow the bolt to be re-fitted. A few test runs will give the green light and we're back up and smiling again.

That is, if the expansion hasn't cause permanent damage to the parts I.e. the one bolt. In which case they should really have spares in the workshop.

To my untrained eye it looks like a fairly major problem, be amazed if it reopens quickly. Even if it is an easy fix in itself surely the track joins shouldn't be under that sort of pressure where they want to pull apart when 'released'?

You'd have to ask how much strain the remaining join would be under if a train were to pass over it in that state, and where its total failure point would be. If it gave way completely the result would surely be catastrophic, with an at height and at speed derailment possible? I would imagine this is the sort of thing the H&S executive would want to look at and sign off before it reopens, rightly in my view.

Of course, it is possible that picture is massively deceptive!

Heat expansion on the metal is the issue here, with the built up pressure already existing within the structure built up to cause the bolt to sheer (as designed when embracing high levels of stress/strain) and ping off into the sunset...

New bolt, bit of cool-down and I'd imagine we'll be alright to go... As Sidders said, the best comparison are the warping train lines...

I was about to say it's not been hot today so that doesn't seem right, but then it could well be the change in temp rathe r than the temp itself so maybe.

The way it has parted from the loss of one bolt still doesn't seem right to me, but as I sayI know nothing of these things.

I was about to say it's not been hot today so that doesn't seem right, but then it could well be the change in temp rathe r than the temp itself so maybe.

The way it has parted from the loss of one bolt still doesn't seem right to me, but as I sayI know nothing of these things.

One bolt holds a plane engine to the wing...

Temperature shock is the most likely cause yes, especially given the severe temperature change we've had since Friday...

EDIT - One hell of a close up from TST...

62296_509920042411778_424080412_n.jpg

A popped bolt is one thing, but a gap in the track is a different story tbh.

The 2 track pieces obviously don't naturally sit together - the bolt is constantly under a massive amount of stress in order to force the track in to a position that it doesn't want to be in!

Surely a single bolt shouldn't be responsible for forcing those 2 pieces of track together... Maybe they'll have to re-align some more of the track?