The Smiler

th13teen

If this one was caused by an overexcited trim rather than a damaged train why was it not dragged to the next high point and released rather than removing? You'd think if it clears the next high point it should make it back and that would be a lot easier than dismantling it like this.

As Tommy alluded to, it's probably more to ensure that it doesn't happen again later on in the course, even with the second lift hill...

Don't forget, it IS only two coasters bolted together [/robbalvey]

I do really like the music but I was far less appreciative of it in a long queue which at points has it playing very loudly.

Don't forget, it IS only two coasters bolted together [/robbalvey]

I think if anyone else had said that there would had have been far less outrage (minus the "British are stupid" comments). He even said the ride still looked really fun. Frankly two coasters in one I can only see as a positive in the UK where our coasters are so short normally.

I think if anyone else had said that there would had have been far less outrage (minus the "British are stupid" comments). He even said the ride still looked really fun. Frankly two coasters in one I can only see as a positive in the UK where our coasters are so short normally.

It would also help if he actually allowed opinions that differed from his own, and didn't treat everyone who does have a different opinion with such contempt and generally acting like a complete pillock... Then bans everyone who disagrees with him...

If anyone else had said it there would have been less outrage, because that other person would respect others opinions and not called everyone who disagreed with them stupid or ban them...

Probably going to be a bit controversial and say I did have fears before the ride opened that it *could* feel like two rides stuck together. Fortunately though, based on reviews I've read, that doesn't seem to be the case, so all good I guess!

Seems as though Alton don't have much luck with trims though, ey? :P

I think the point is more the slow lift hill in the middle stops the ride flowing and feeling as one, rather than a problem with the actual length. Having a rolling launch for example could have avoided that.

Not that I have an opinion on it as I've not tried it for myself yet, but I can understand someone thinking that. Just a shame that they devalue their own argument by bitching about pretty much anything that doesn't have a stars and stripes hanging off it.

The break is very much required, but it doesn't feel like a break. You spend most of your time stationery getting over the seven inversions you've just flipped through at 50mph, a trifle of time actually focusing on the video, and then before you know it you're going up the vertical lift. And Alvey claims to love them so what the **** he's complaining about I'm not entirely sure.

Right, so managed to get two rides on The Smiler on my AT trip, it's time for thoughts. Firstly, it's great to see a coaster in the UK creating this kind of buzz. I have never experienced anything like it in my time as a theme park enthusiast - and the long queues and general excitement surrounding the ride seem to be harking back to the days of Nemesis and Oblivion. Obviously no one wants to stand in a three hour queue, but it's always nice to see coasters creating such excitement. Secondly, I did something I swore I'd never do - bought me and partner a fastpass for the ride. At £6 they were expensive - but it's not paying for the ride but rather the what you can do with the time you otherwise would have spent in the queue - since we were both exhausted it was nice to have those three hours free to go back to hotel and relax - therefore worth every penny. I'm morally opposed to the system but I;ve done it once now. Actually I wish I hadn't bothered because the single rider queue was surprisingly short - and much as I love my partner, being next to her on the ride was, in the end, not worth £12!!

Anyway, the ride itself. Frankly, I think it's something of a disappointment. I see this being very popular for a long time, but I also think it's a massive missed opportunity. The theme promises so much, and AT had the opportunity to create something truly mindbending in the indoor section, but instead theres a mist spray and an inline. Other than the Marmaliser (which looks awesome), the theme is very weak. Pretty much everything is just painted - so disappointing that the end of the ride is just "you have been corrected" painted on the wall opposite the unload platform.

I also, shock horror, find myself agreeing with Robb Alvey - the second lift hill does massively break up the ride and prevent it feeling like a truly 14 inverting coaster. The first half of the ride is breathtaking. It's entirely dizzying in a way that I haven't ever experienced on a coaster (it's more like something on a flat ride). The ride also moves through its inversions with a kind of twisting elegance that I can't really explain. Whereas with Colossus you can feel it counting through its 10 inversions, The Smiler (especially the first half) seems to have a kind of motion and twisted track layout that simply flings you round and about and upside down in a very unique way. The second half is somewhat disappointing, it repeats many tricks of the first half, but once that dizzied feeling is lost on the vertical hill it doesn't really return. It's also much much rougher, and I can see this being as bad, if not worse, than Saw in a few years time.

I think this is a fine addition to AT's coaster collection, and it is going to draw massive crowds for years to come. It has the gimmick and the look to convince the GP that this is a truly special coaster, which in some elements it is, but it is a wasted opportunity too. You have to suspect that there was an element of the ride that didn't come together, whether that be a rolling launch, the much discussed washing machine element or something else entirely. I rode Nemesis a lot on this trip, and it is still the perfect coaster - the way it interacts with the landscape, the sightlines around the area, the ride experience, the theming. The Smiler had the opportunity to match this but in the ends falls somewhat short. I would love to see AT develop the idea of creating coasters with a dark ride section - both Thirteen and The Smiler have attempted it but neither truly achieve what they promise (much as I enjoyed both rides). I think it's an idea that suits AT perfectly, since it relies on theme rather than sheer size alone. I hope SW8 has another stab at it and gets it right.

Anyway, the ride itself. Frankly, I think it's something of a disappointment. I see this being very popular for a long time, but I also think it's a massive missed opportunity. The theme promises so much, and AT had the opportunity to create something truly mindbending in the indoor section, but instead theres a mist spray and an inline. Other than the Marmaliser (which looks awesome), the theme is very weak. Pretty much everything is just painted - so disappointing that the end of the ride is just "you have been corrected" painted on the wall opposite the unload platform.

Now see this is just a silly argument that's always really irked me. Marmaliser aside? The Marmaliser is the focal themeing point of the ride! It's like saying "Valley aside, Nemesis is poorly themed" or "Hole aside, Oblivion is just a train falling off an edge".

Other than that, a very well-reasoned argument, though I do find myself disagreeing but only because what you found to be poor I found to be excellent. A simple difference of opinions - we'll have to agree to disagree!

Now see this is just a silly argument. Marmaliser aside? The Marmaliser is the focal point of the ride! It's like saying "Valley aside, Nemesis is poorly themed" or "Hole aside, Oblivion is just a train falling off an edge".

That doesn't seem entirely fair, especially as nearly every review I've read mentions the marmaliser is barely noticeable on ride save for one headchopper, whereas the two examples you've used make their respective rides.

Again, not that I've ridden, so I'd hardly know.

Now see this is just a silly argument. Marmaliser aside? The Marmaliser is the focal point of the ride! It's like saying "Valley aside, Nemesis is poorly themed" or "Hole aside, Oblivion is just a train falling off an edge".

I think you might be confused here - I'm not only talking about the look of the ride, but the theme in general. Actually, I disagree with you anyway, since although the Marmaliser looks cool, if the money spent on it was to the detriment of the rest of the ride then it wasn't worth it. The station building is hideous, an inside it's even worse. You can see what they're going for, a kind of clinical feel - but ultimately it's a bare station painted white with four yellow light fixtures hanging above the train - not very interesting at all. It's nothing like saying the valley on Nemesis, since that's the ride area (In which case the comparison would be The Smiler's bare concrete pit). A better comparison would be Nemesis' station (which is the theming centrepiece). It's not as good as the Marmaliser, but it's also not there at the cost of anything else!

I was actually more referring to the theme of the ride in terms of it's 'correctional procedure' idea. The Marmaliser is cool, but as I said in my original post, I was very disappointed that, despite this quite well advertised and grandiose theme, the end of the ride consisted of "you have been corrected" painted on a wall.

Towers' coasters have never been famous for exceptional all across the board theming mind...

There's always been a focal point (be it ride or station) but that's about it... Actually thinking about it then Smiler's Marmaliser was gonna be it really aside from the station...

Just an observation about something I've noticed...

I think most major Alton Towers rides are great because they are created on the basis of a unique concept, rather than just a chosen theme such as "pirates", "monsters" or a culture like "Africa". So yes, while none really have excellently designed themes, they find other ways of being special.

The Smiler is also its own concept which is commendable, although I think what put people off is the way it has been carried out. It's very in your face with brash imagery and overuses made up words, while overlooking the overall guest experience. And all those unnecessary effects bunched together is like an attempt to show off rather than intrigue the riders. The music is also very divisive because it seemingly tries to be annoying, but completely succeeds in representing the ride and is unlike any theme park music I have heard before.

Basically I get an undercurrent of self-indulgence from the designers, unlike Nemesis or Oblivion which are much more entertaining in concept. At least it has its own charisma, which people seem to be loving, despite the hellish queue and distasteful station/entrance/etc

I think most major Alton Towers rides are great because they are created on the basis of a unique concept, rather than just a chosen theme such as "pirates", "monsters" or a culture like "Africa". So yes, while none really have excellently designed themes, they find other ways of being special.

I think this highlights a UK problem though. We have plenty of good/great rides, but very few whole, more complete experiences.

Concept is a good word and one I should have used to explain myself better!

Did anyone else notice a slight shudder at the top of the vertical lift? It happened both times I went on it, almost as if the chain is really struggling to carry the 16 person train. Pretty scary!