The Smiler

th13teen

After my 2 rides on The Smiler yesterday I thought I'd share my views on it. Spoilers are therefore a possibility. My views may be a bit biased as on both of my rides I sat on the same seat and I believe the same train as from what I've heard each row and train varies quite drastically at times.

Upon entering X-Sector you are greeted by this massive, shiny black, tangle of track compacted into a space that looks far too small for such a large coaster. The last time I saw the sight the Black Hole tent was still standing untouched so to see the sudden change was spectacular, and the space has been used so well! The walk down to the entrance is brilliant, the atmosphere really captures you with loads of people patiently waiting whilst the intoxicating music starts to get stuck in your mind. From this height, the ride and Marmaliser look huge, yet don't dominate the whole of X-Sector so the contrast has been perfectly found. Every time a car went round, 99% of peoples eyes were drawn into watching it squeak its way around the track, and with Oblivion closed all day the focus was purely on The Smiler (and Submission's one arm of course ;) )

Through the entrance you go (I didn't find this to be as bad in person as it looked in pictures) and down the stairs to the queue. This is where the full scale of the ride can be witnessed! From here the Marmaliser looks and feels more immersive and with the cars speeding past you at close proximity you ignore everything else and are only caring of The Smiler. For both my rides I used SRQ (because I preferred queuing 20 minutes compared to 120) so did not get to experience the full cattle pen fun. But, I can say I think you'd forget about the massive winding queue when above is a massive mess of winding coaster track. The main queue also seemed to be moving fairly quickly. The mesh above the queue isn't really a big thing and at times you can understand why it had to be added.

The small indoor queue was quite nice. Didn't quite see the point of it but it was nice to see the projection mapping instead of them just leaving it as decorated walls and dim lighting. Once batched at this point, you ascend the stairs with correction getting ever closer. Once at the top, you have to wait a couple of trains before you are on (longer for SRQ of course). The station does seem a bit bland with white walls but I like it as this means you focus all your attention on the trains leaving and returning. The dispatch sequence is good with the lights going on, mist being squirted at you as you speedily dive towards the first of 14 inversions, the process has begun!

Much like Saw, the inside part is great fun and the inversion is a great start to the process. I also like the lighting on the ceiling and arrows on the wall whilst you wait to climb lift hill number one. My only niggle with the inside section is the amount of natural daylight that seeps in meaning you can see the lovely floor with all the puddles.

The chain starts, the car is attached, and you swiftly climb to the top. At the top you get a nice view of the lake in front before suddenly you are speeding to inversion number 2, the inverted drop. This is taken at decent speed and doesn't bang your head, however, on my seat I was lifted out slightly so when flat again I hit the seat quite hardly on both of my rides. As I said though, this could just have been my seat or me because I leave ample room in the restraint to move at the start of the ride. The 2 dive loops follows and they are great fun, and the transition between them is ridiculously smooth, possibly B&M smooth! Through the Marmaliser you go for the first time with a great piece of airtime. Unfortunately, you are going so fast the effect on this part of the Marmaliser is kind of lost but it did offer a nice head chopper. Going down to the pit you can feel the train is trimmed but I didn't see the problem with this as it meant the batwing and corkscrew are taken at just the right speed so no head banging occurs. Happily, the brake run for the vertical lift is reached. At this point I was thinking that was great and would have got of then a very happy advocate. But the ride continues with a much appreciated break for you to regain sense of your surroundings.

The vertical lift is nothing special, just nice and comfy to have a lay down before the fun starts all over again. the train seems to shudder a bit at the top as the chain jolts to slow you down, but none the less you're off again. Another inverted drop greets you and this time I didn't fly out of my seat (but on both rides my restraint was tighter at this point). A wonderful butterfly follows which is quite intense, it's also quite unique as I for one haven't ridden may rides with one of these inversions featured. Again, you speed past the Marmaliser with a nice pop of airtime. This time, the effects are a bit better as you past the Giggler which covers you in moist mist. Trims are in affect again but this time I seriously appreciated there presence. The first half of the cobra was as expected, and till this point the ride had been pretty smooth with no head banging moments. however, this all changed from after here. The transition into the second half of the cobra looks wrong with a very sudden and sharp change to inverting and diving. It rides just as awkward as it looks with your head getting a small battering here. The 2 corkscrew/roll things are also quite shaky probably due to the speed at which they are taken. A swift 180 degree turn to the station and the process is complete.

The train returns to the station and you are now told that you are a smiling advocate. Rainbow stairs allow you to climb up and over the station (they seemed pointless, especially as they are now dirty so mostly brown). The exit route is brilliant, an excellent way to disorientate you even more after the ride. Tight corridors with wacky decoration, confusing use of paint to make you think that one way's the way out when in fact this is just a wall, and a bit more projection mapping. Great way to end the ride and makes me think how cool X's queue could have been!

At this point I though the amazing stuff would be over and the shop would be bog standard. Wrong I was! Mirrors are dotted around the shop which can make it seem like you are wearing Smiler glasses, holding a bear, etc. They even made there very own cheesy shopping channel (much like when you see JML adverts in Robert Dyas). It is brilliant to see the effort that went into this whole project. the only let down in the shop (other than the high Merlin prices ;) ) is the glass floor which was useless as you couldn't see through it due to the sun!

Yes, the ride isn't perfect with a few areas needing correcting, mainly the inside part of the ride. Whilst it is a bit of a head banger at the end, it is no where near as brutal as Saw and up until the cobra roll it is pretty smooth. The people next to me were remarking how smooth the ride was at the end which is great to hear. Overall, the public were loving the ride and many queuing up again even though it was 2 hours! The Smiler is definitely something Towers have been missing for a while now and is an excellent way to bring back the thrill market. As long as this ride doesn't deteriorate badly over the next couple of years they have a winner on their hands!

Personally, it is a brilliant ride but not quite as good as Nemesis (my opinion). The general public love it which is all that matters really at the end of the day.

8.5/10- could easily get a 9 if the indoor part is worked on and I try out other seats.

Good work Towers, I am now a smiling advocate :D

Well done if you read all of this :P

Hey guys,

Just thought I would share my thoughts and some photos from The Smiler! I was lucky enough to queue only 2 hours for this marvel on Sunday. I have to say that it has completely changed the way X-Sector looks and feels. Its a million times better than an empty Blackhole Tent. So after you venture into the queueline I have to say you get completely lost. It is a absolute maze and it is very confusing. You could quite easily spend 2 hours in the outside area before making it to the actual ride. I liked the queue as it interacts with the ride. The Marmaliser, The Giggler and other elements make interesting watching. As you enter the building I have to say I loved the fantastic projections. Another thing I loved was the music, I am still humming it now!

As you get into the sterile station you watch as the advocates are loaded into the cars before a puff of mist and the bright lights send them off. A creepy voice announces that you are about to Join the smiler. This is where the fun really begins! After a crazy indoor section the sheer size of the ride hits you as you are at the top. Loop after loop you literally have no idea where you are going next and it is seriously delirious. I genuinely felt giddy and lost for words at the half way point, it is that insane! It truly is fantastic as you interact with other trains and interact with The Marmaliser. One thing I will note and I don't like being negative, but I rode twice and already found it relatively rough in places. Saying this three weeks in worries me slightly knowing how bad Saw: The Ride has aged. Only time will tell, but it is a seriously good line up to the Alton Towers ride selection. From start to finish the ride screams excellence and you will want to join The Smiler! Overall score 8/10, not quite Nemesis but a fantastic addition!

You can find the rest on my Flickr! & the video on YOUTUBE!

TheSmiler8_zps6a984a65.jpg

TheSmiler15_zpsdd8450ad.jpg

TheSmiler47_zps2e78ce00.jpg

Slight spoilers ahead, possibly, maybe, perhaps.

So I have finally been corrected and in the process, marmalised. Just to reiterate what others have said, The Smiler is so dominant within X-Sector now and the whole area feels transformed. The Marmaliser standing tall and proud with all of its marmalising techniques in full swing is certainly impressive. The queue line is repetitive but is bearable and from what I experienced today, does move at a relatively constant rate. The only thing I could have wished for was for the backstory of The Smiler and its origins to be explained more in-depth, many of the GP I heard only vaguely knew of the 'correction' process. Also, on the good ol' british summer day today, the pit was becoming overrun with water and drainage is obviously an issue.

The projection mapping is a nice attempt and definitely adds something to the experience even though it is minor. I loved the dispatch sequence in the station and the pre-recorded announcements just added to the excitement.

For my first ride, we began queueing in the main queue at 12:45 and were on the ride by 2:15. This was the shortest the queue was for today that I had seen. Luckily we were directed to row 1 and we took our seats. The indoor drop and following barrel roll certainly get the adrenaline pumping. The first lift is then slowly ascended and the first half begins. I knew to brace myself for the general Gerstache of any Gerstlauer and was surprised at the smoothness. The only 'rough' moments I recall were the exit of the first inverted drop with a slight lateral jolt and a small shoulder jolt when twisting into the second dive loop. The first airtime hill offered more air/floater than I was expecting (although I did leave the restraint slightly loose). Then came the second half (I love the half way audio btw), which was generally smooth aside from a few lateral jolts again, with one being on the exit of the sea serpent roll, the major jolt on the exit of the cobra roll (which btw I braced for and successfully avoided pain, in fact, my head never came into contact with the restraints biggrin.png) and then one on the entry to the penultimate inversion. Then we twisted into the brake run after a great, great ride. Well, aside from sitting on the brake run for 10 minutes due to a minor delay. The exit route was a brilliant way to end off the brilliant experience.

As we'd pretty much done every other ride at this point, we went straight back around and into the single rider queue at around 2:45 and were on the ride at around 3:30. This time I was in row 2 and this did seem rougher. The lateral and shoulder jolts were more noticeable and harder to brace for, although I did still enjoy it.

After both rides, I came to the conclusion that The Smiler has it just right in terms of G-force and flow. Every element seemed to gracefully (well, aside from the bite of the cobra) flow into the next and I never once found myself disorientated or lost in the layout as others have said.

Overall, a brilliant addition and is certainly worth a ride or two, or three, or four etc. I just pray that the ride doesn't deteriorate similarly to its other Gerstlauer relatives as for now, it is certainly a marmalising experience. (Sadly though, the creative and intense layout of Nemesis just pips the layout of The Smiler, however the experience The Smiler offers is greater than that of Nemesis so neither is better and neither is worse)

Going tomorrow, I've read through this forum and can't make my mind up for myself... what do you reckon the best time to try and get on the ride is? get there in the early ride time 9-10 which I don't have any access to rides then with my tickets, just queue in the middle of the day, or get there at the end of the day before they close the queues (risking that it might break down by then and be closed)?

thanks.

I would like to say that at some point in the day it will become quiet, but it won't that queue has never gone under the 60 minute , if you can access the ride times website on your phone, if it says anything between 80-100 minutes I would run to the ride because with queues like that its certainly not going to be a re ride unless dont mind splitting up with your group and go in single rider, it only took me and Luke_A 50mins tops to get on, we were separated but we got on, however sometimes single rider can be the same or longer then the actual main queue so if you opt for single rider, get there as soon as the ride is about to open.

Hope this helps :D

Going tomorrow, I've read through this forum and can't make my mind up for myself... what do you reckon the best time to try and get on the ride is? get there in the early ride time 9-10 which I don't have any access to rides then with my tickets, just queue in the middle of the day, or get there at the end of the day before they close the queues (risking that it might break down by then and be closed)?

Best thing you can do is ask for a Smiler fastrack at the main entrance when you arrive. They're being sold "under the counter" atm (I.e. not advertised) and are very limited in number, but I managed to get a 2pm slot for £7 at 10am on Saturday. Queue was at 150 mins at 2pm on Saturday, so this was £7 well spent for me!

Failing that, I'd turn up at one minute before closing time and join the queue then.

I'd say, if you're on park before 10.. join the queue then.

Unlike any new ride opening, the ride is just not getting quieter during the day. If anything, it gets busier particularly with school trips. Then at the end of the day, the queue gets even bigger as everyone else joins it.

Essentially, there just is no best time to visit. Go as early as possible, buy fastrack, use single riders imo. Don't bother with middle of day, you'll waste your time (I joined queue just after 2, it was my last ride the other week.)

I'd say, if you're on park before 10.. join the queue then.

Unlike any new ride opening, the ride is just not getting quieter during the day. If anything, it gets busier particularly with school trips. Then at the end of the day, the queue gets even bigger as everyone else joins it.

Essentially, there just is no best time to visit. Go as early as possible, buy fastrack, use single riders imo. Don't bother with middle of day, you'll waste your time (I joined queue just after 2, it was my last ride the other week.)

The thing that makes this a bit more complicated, though, is the fact that if you join the Smiler queue in the morning you miss out on the first hour or two of the day when everything is at its quietest. When we went, the other major coasters remained near walk-on till at least 11, and with some of them till later. Supposing you arrive at 9:30am, the Smiler queue might be 2 hours, whilst it might be 3 hours around midday. But, the extra queue times on the other rides compared to if you'd rode them in the morning (do Thirteen and Rita, then straight to Air and Nemesis on Skyride and you can probably get all done in an hour, with potential repeat rides on some), means you're actually saving more time by queuing longer for The Smiler. If that makes sense!

It's a tricky one!

On all three of my visits with the Smiler, I've left it till last for major coasters and it has always worked. Sure I've queued 2 hours each time for the Smiler (I don't believe in fastrack and as a general rule, ride rides with my friends), but I'd rather queue that time for the new ride then queue an hour a piece for a disappointing ride on Rita and Thirteen.

I missed the smiler when I went on may 23rd and they never opened it :(

but going tomorrow so it's all good - fingers crossed it actually opens and stays open haha :)

It's been doing well recently so hopefully you will get on it, have a good day :)

thanks for the help... will most likely try and get a fast track as soon as I go in, in the morning (hopefully before they sell out) for sometime in the day, failing that queue at the end of the day - but definitely make the most of the first hour or 2, as the last 2 times I've been, I can get on the 4 big coasters in dark forest and forbidden valley in the first hour or so - which is definitely a lot less than hour + queues! :)

Boo to Fastrack. Half the fun of the queue is being completely immersed underneath the giant black tangle of track with yellow trains soaring past you just inches above your head. Sure there's a bit of cattle-penning but Fastrack just skips all the psychological tricks the ride inherently forces onto you just by standing underneath it for an hour. I love watching the Marmaliser in action; it's screen and the other two queueline screens; the rumble and vibration of the supports as a train careers down the drop sections.

jSBUAgN.jpg

I particularly loved standing in the part of the queue directly underneath the lowest point of the drops and looking up at the drop-section inversions the train rolls through. Seeing the train spin around, with that Smiler logo on the front elegantly and mockingly rotating 360 degrees as it looks as if it's going to dive straight into you is such an unnerving (probably deliberate and extremely effective) showcase of the psychological awareness of how much fear can be felt from just anticipating a ride. The face may be static but the whole ride just feels alive and that face really helps it. Never got why the TTF lot hated it on the trains. There's something very menacing about how that grinning face seems to be looking straight at you at this point.

Ended up getting fast track for the smiler, for 3... best decision ever, got on rita, thirteen, nemesis (all front row), air and ripsaw before 12 - so managed to get on pretty much every main attraction in the day. Now on to The Smiler... it's nice to genuinely feel scared for a ride and the adrenaline starts to kick in, everyone knows what the outside of the ride looks like, but the indoors is really cool, and nice to see them out some effort in to it, including the exit and the shop; the ride itself was awesome, I spent most of the time laughing and not even realising what's going on missing some of the marmaliser effects, but love the ride and would love to go on it again sometime, and overall a really good addition to alton towers.

Verdict: Nemesis is still better, only for the sheer force and the speed over a compact layout it gives you - but the smiler wins in terms of overall experience :)

heres a few pics of pics of the smiler rooms from the alton towers guide.

dscf2761.jpg

dscf2762.jpg

dscf2763.jpg

dscf2764.jpg

dscf2768.jpg

dscf2771.jpg

dscf2773.jpg

dscf2778.jpg

dscf2779.jpg

dscf2782.jpg

dscf2784.jpg

dscf2788.jpg

dscf2790.jpg

dscf2791.jpg

dscf2793.jpg

dscf2794.jpg

dscf2796.jpg

dscf2799.jpg

dscf2800.jpg

dscf2815.jpg

smiler-bedroom-1.jpg

I don't think I would be comfortable staying in there...

Towers times have just reported this also:

We're receiving news that unfortunately The Smiler is stuck on the vertical lift and medical services are on scene. We will bring you more as we hear it!

I actually really like the new Smiler rooms. I admit they may be a bit too much for kids, especially if they get freaked out by the MOJ face but for anyone aged 11+, I can see them loving it there. Bit disorientating but I wouldn't be upset if I had to sleep there for a night or two.

Having reviewed the pictures, the fake cameras all pointing at the bed are slightly unnerving.