The Swarm

JoshC.

Lame, desperate. They put in a £20m coaster and in its second year they promote it like this.

P-lease! <_<

I see where you're coming from, they just added a £20m coaster yet have to advertise it heavily in only it's 2nd year

but I think that's just necessary these days, it's not like they'd waste money advertising if they didn't have to.

Exactly, this is what annoys me about this. Thorpe can never do anything right, Like Benin said for once their advertising with no gimmick and people are complaining? Make your minds up, this time I believe they've got it right. It's an amazing place to advertise and I for one, want to go and see it.

You mean like how they advertised Saw a year after it opened?

And Stealth?

Are we REALLY moaning that Thorpe are advertising in what is ACTUALLY a sensible place, doesn't involve some bollocks PR and is pretty much harmless?

Unbelievable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVJmBD1GdQ

People will always find something to moan about, let them get on with it, their the ones clearly unhappy in life if they have to come on here and moan about an advertisement on a building.

I see where you're coming from, they just added a £20m coaster yet have to advertise it heavily in only it's 2nd year

They have to advertise it heavily in it's first year y'know.

Build it, and they will come. As long as you bloody market it effectively.

their the ones clearly unhappy in life if they have to come on here and moan about an advertisement on a building.

I'm perfectly happy in my life

Jeez guys, don't overreact. Piccadilly Circus is good for advertising other things, but there are more ways to market a ride and get an advert seen. This isn't exactly broad advertising. After all they spent on The Swarm advertising, they light it up in London.

Billboards, app ads, website sponsors, that's how you reach the target.

Try to better that, Holly.

I'm perfectly happy in my life

Jeez guys, don't overreact. Piccadilly Circus is good for advertising other things, but there are more ways to market a ride and get an advert seen. This isn't exactly broad advertising. After all they spent on The Swarm advertising, they light it up in London.

Yes because over 2 million people go through Piccadilly Circus in the space of a few hours. Yeahhh that's not going to get an advert seen at all is it?

You do realise this is it's second year so there is the advert in PC, the TV advert and now word of mouth. The second year doesn't have to be as big as the first because word of mouth is setting in.

So try to better that, RideAddict.

Already doing web ads with that Beat the Swarm viral (which, seems to have fallen flat on it's arse)...

Since internet seems to be failing them (wasn't that the bulk of their advertising last year? Already determined by Thorpe to be a failure at bringing in the masses), a big massive thing in a busy area should be the next option...

Does anyone pay attention to app based ads? They are certainly much more of an annoyance, and hence in my experience I pay no attention to them...

So really, since web ads have failed, billboards are the next option, where better than a busy place in central London where you can access the park within around an hour?

Didn't seem to do Smiler's viral advertising any harm being spotted across half of London...

Not the announcement I was expecting but that doesn't bother me.

It is just advertising. They have got to market the park somehow and where better than on a giant billboard in the center of London.

When you install attractions on the scale of say 'The Swarm', it is quite common a park to advertise the same ride in a two year time scale. They do it for basically all new coaster attractions. Not just Thorpe but other theme parks too.

I seem to remember in 2010, even when SAW Alive was being marketed, the adverts still had a huge focus on 'Saw the Ride'.

All in all, good for Thorpe. Hope it works to their advantage.

I know Saw was forced to be the prominent focus of Thorpe's adverts for 2 years due to their contract but it also probably mentioned something about frequency too.

I'd say this is a real move of desperation. It costs and absolute fortune to advertise on that billboard. And they've obviously had to seek help from Coca cola as a sponsor.

It makes me wonder, if the park are operating at a continuous loss, will Merlin one day decide to sell the park?

'm perfectly happy in my life

Genuinely think you're off your trolley now. Better ways of advertising The Swarm then Piccadilly Circus? Do you genuinely mean that or are you just trolling.

^ Whatever, and there's a difference between thinking and knowing.

Yes because over 2 million people go through Piccadilly Circus in the space of a few hours. Yeahhh that's not going to get an advert seen at all is it? God you are an idiot...

You do realise this is it's second year so there is the advert in PC, the TV advert and now word of mouth. The second year doesn't have to be as big as the first because word of mouth is setting in.

So try to better that, RideAddict.

Oh I can better it, because like I say, use the methods of advertising I mentioned. 2 million people passing through Picadilly Circus is sod all compared to other advertising modes to people across the entire country.

Have you ever worked in advertising? Thought not. I have. There are better, cheaper methods of advertising and marketing that will see more capital return longterm than there!

Clearly you're oblivious that the big wall of advertising is soon gonna be a thing of the past.

Oh wow loving the assumption that I haven't worked in advertising. Nice using 'I've worked in adveristing' routine. It's seems to me that every disagreement we have you've worked in some place that proves that you just damn don't know what you're on about even with experience? Go back to health and safety. I believe this ones mine.

Also would just like to point out that other people are replying to you in this thread. Feel free to answer them as well.

No, he thinks. I know because I've worked in advertising previously.

WorkED? Makes me believe you got the sack as you clearly have no clue. A LOT of people go through Piccadilly Circus every single day, why do you think companies spend so much money advertising their products and services on the boards there?

WorkED? Makes me believe you got the sack as you clearly have no clue. A LOT of people go through Piccadilly Circus every single day, why do you think companies spend so much money advertising their products and services on the boards there?

That is correct ryan, That space is properly one of the most expensive places to advertise in the UK and a iconic part of london and I&#39;m sure if you have ever visited it in your life you would know what were all talking about

Just admit you're wrong. Knowing is different to knowledge. Have you ever heard of the rule that anything you learn becomes moot within 3 years. That rule is mostly about Law and Business of which Marketing is part of. So I do believe that this 'experience' of yours is now wrong. I look forward to you trying to prove this is wrong when I am currently at University doing Business. Good luck. I don't care if this makes me sound big headed,

No, he thinks. I know because I've worked in advertising previously.

Mmmm okay, Well then.... I&#39;m stumped. Literally.

Piccadilly Circus is one of the busiests places in London where millions of people yearly pass through. Hundreds every minute of every day will look at The Swarm on the BILLBOARD (which you say they should do, as they are I&#39;m not sure what your issue is) and think Oh The Swarm at Thorpe Park I'll check that out. They will ask their friends about it who will ask their friends about it who will ask their friends so eventually the 52 million or whatever it is that live in London will know about The Swarm.

So how is it not the best way to advertise? Since when did advertising/marketing NOT have a key objective to get to as many people as possible?

Seriously....