The Swarm

JoshC.

It is all subjective though isn't it, because for me the zero g and inline are both dull and inexplicably forceless in reverse while the drop is a very enjoyable experience it is not better, just different. The best seats for me (by quite some way) were the back row facing forwards, and they don't exist any more.

The quicker they give up on this stupidity the better, but I expect it to remain indefinitely.

The backward seats look a bit eyesore as well. I mean, you see a fine set of horizontal lines going up the lift hill, when all of a sudden, they change to two ARCHES with LEGS! If you want a coaster to go backwards, the ride itself has to be designed in some way for it to go backwards! Take X, when it was X:/No Way Out for example. They are just plain sit-down cars, so they WON'T look eyesore when going backwards whatsoever

If the demand for riding it backwards is as big as that, to me it would make sense to turn more rows backwards rather than turn them back forwards.

Like the 'face your friends' idea where you can face your friends with 2 riding forwards and 2 riding backwards. This way you wouldn't have too queue extra for back rows!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a long hard think and a few conversations about THE SWARM today and I felt I needed to make a post.

It's come to my attention I don't enjoy the Zero-G or Corkscrew elements of The Swarm particularly. I think the Wingrider train makes the inversions lack any kind of natural flow and therefore (for me) ruin the experience of them. Don't get me wrong, there are so many other parts of the ride I find fantastic, particularly the first drop, helicopter turn, and inline twist over the station; and the wingrider trains are probably the reason for the enjoyment of these things.

A zero-g for me is about the floating zero gravity feeling (Isn't that what the name suggests?), but The Swarm doesn't give that feeling, it seems to shoot high into the air, awkwardly hang and then drag you back down all the while being awkward. In my head it seems to stop at the top and then start again, a real unatural break in the ride especially after it has only just began! The corkscrew doesn't suffer from the same issue, but I still find something strange about it that isn't quite as enjoyable as it has been made out to be in the past.

At first I really loved the wingrider concept and it does a lot of things extremely well, but I think it also limits a ride's ability to perform certain 'normal' inversions or elements well, my main example being the Zero-G which is pretty much ruined in my opinion.

For reference: An example of how I think a zero-g should feel is highlighted perfectly by how majestically Nemesis and Nemesis Inferno, and any other B&M invert flows through the zero-g.

Interesting. I noticed on Monday that Nemesis is starting to take the zero g roll quite awkwardly. I swear before it used to be a smooth continuous feeling but on Monday it felt like the train was jerking from side to side through the inversion, particularly on the front row. It's something that the newer inverters such as Inferno and Oz'Iris don't do so maybe its just an example of how a 19 year old inverter ages.

That said, I'm actually really fond of the Swarm's zero g, especially when as you say it almost grinds to a halt at the top and you then see the fire coming out of the fire engine. Shame it doesn't happen on every cycle because the fire really helps that inversion become a memorable moment.

I think what you say about the wing rider in general is true. As Swarm is one of the earlier models, it clearly hasn't been enhanced or the ride position taken advantage of yet. Look at Air's relatively simple layout compared to Tatsu and Starry Eyed Ripper. At some point, a park will really go for it and put the wing rider through its paces. Raptor came close.

I can agree about Nemesis, although I've always found the zero-g, for lack of a better word, 'janky' (note, not rough) but always thought that was just because it took the inversion with such speed.

I can see that would be a perfect position to have the fire in front of you and then you swoop down towards it, but from the way I've seen Merlin operate I'm guessing the timing would be a total fluke. The fire seemed like a last minute introduction, and whilst really effective and eye-catching, it did really feel like 'Lets add something here, everyone loves fire'. So possibly one of the only redeeming features of the inverse for me felt like Merlin had lucked out. - I don't know why that should put me off enjoying the excellent theming, but I guess it's like going to McDonald's and ordering something you usually get and it for some reason tasted better than usual; it sort of makes you question whether it's a turning point for your meal or it was a one time thing.

Interestingly, I have the complete opposite view to you about the zero-g roll Tommy.

It really was a surprise for me on my first ride. I didn't find it awkward, but instead elegant - the way it shoots you into the air and then seemingly stops, making you 'feel' the inversion, is fantastic. I've never felt it's an unnatural break in the ride, as you're feeling the inversion, which I've always seen as a point of the ride's inversions. I much prefer Swarm's zero-g roll to the likes of Nemesis and Inferno's.

The corkscrew I agree with a bit more. Though I do think the entrance to it is perfect, as it continues the forcefulness of the helicopter turn, the rest of it is just there; nothing wrong with it, just not amazing. It's actually the only element I preferred backwards, strangely. I get a feeling it was more thought of for the visual effect, as it does look great with the train going 'through' the inclined loop.

I would agree. It is unfortunate that in order to be in the flying position, it's necessary to have far more substantial restraints. But with wing riders being far more traditional seats just placed out wards, it gives the feel of being far more open.

I guess B&M have just given their customers a choice of roller coaster which could accomplish a flight themed ride.

I don't know if its been bought up before, but it looks like they've all but abandoned the back row queue system, which really doesn't come as a surprise.

Its rather annoying because it artificially inflates the main queuline since you all queue together.

That sounds like a mess. Anyone know if this is always the case now or is it a one off?

When I first heard about it one of my main concerns with the backwards thing was the chaos I thought it would cause to the queue system. I was beginning to think my fears had been unfounded but maybe that was just because of the general lack of busy days so far this year?

To be honest, they were on the ball with batching, so only let around 4-5 cycles worth of people in at a time, so it was quite organized. But as I said this increased queue times, since with the cards it would've been a 20 front/40 back wait, instead it was a 50 minute wait.

However I heard multiple people mention that they weren't going in the back row because they didn't have the pass (which didn't exist)

It just makes you wonder, why bother with all this signage etc...?

I have a really bad feeling this ride is going to deteriorate quite rapidly. Water effects are already hit and miss, the fire ball rarely goes off, there was no smoke, the TV above the bag drop looks like its been dropped on the floor or something with a huge black spot, the groundwork around the billboard is really shoddy (it still has an old queueline sign just sat in the footer for no reason). Its just not looking too good if I'm honest.