The Swarm

JoshC.

The Swarm fastrack advertised on the website is for the forwards rows only, though there is fastrack for the backwards rows, priced at £6. There's also a package featuring Swarm backwards, Stealth and Saw front row(?) for around £15 ("Back to front"). I'm not sure if either are available online.

Be aware that the backwards queue line may not open as soon as the ride does - on Sunday the backwards queue didn't open until 10:00 (Swarm opened at 9:30) - until that point you had free choice of row as there was no-one batching. There were less people waiting for the backwards rows than the forwards rows when I got there, which was convenient as with the ride running 1 train at the time I didn't fancy waiting in the bays behind 4 trains worth of guests in the other rows.

Does anyone else find the restraints (the padding part) really tight an uncomfortable? When I rode it Friday my collar bones felt pretty sore afterwards which really spoilt the ride for me! :(

Some seats have belts that tighten throughout the ride for some reason. It was quite a problem at the beginning of last season (when it was new) if I remember rightly, but it seems as if it has been sorted mostly this season - only a few seats do that now I believe.

Some seats have belts that tighten throughout the ride for some reason. It was quite a problem at the beginning of last season (when it was new) if I remember rightly, but it seems as if it has been sorted mostly this season - only a few seats do that now I believe.

This happened to me on detty- at the top the harness could move up and down a bit but on the way down it tightened a lot. I wasn't particularly bothered though as the ride is short but what I noticed is that when the restraints tighten on the way down on detonator the restraints have to be released using a special leaver at the back. I'm not sure if this is for a particular reason, does anyone know?

finally got to thorpe park today for the year... did the swarm on the back row (right) and front row (right).

backwards was definitely a weird feeling, but as other said the near misses become pretty pointless, but the first drop backwards is spectacular! really enjoyed it and would happily go on again, but my friend who I was with didn't go on it, so didn't want to buy a fast track or queue to go on by myself again.

managed to get on the front row (right), well having been on it several times last year, but the new near miss, the billboard, is crazy, really did feel like a head (and leg) chopper! such a good addition to the ride!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess with X going forward from this year onwards, clearly Thorpe couldn't just go cold turkey and let go of the backwards gimmick straight away. Thats in no way an informed opinion as I rarely get the time to go to Thorpe but from what I've seen it hasn't done much to add to the ride experience. If I'm honest, it sounds quite nauseating to say the least, no reports of excessive vomitting yet?

Whilst I like The Swarm Backwards, the novelty has already worn off for me and I hope the ride doesn't stay like that forever!

As much as I hate to say this, I think the swarm will always keep a backwards section. This is because thorpe have put a lot of money and effort into changing the rows backwards for 2013 so I doubt they would spend another load to change them back. The only thing I could see them doing is what someone said on thorpe park's facebook, change every other row backwards so you can ride facing your friends! I actually thought this was a good idea but that's my opinion- and you wouldn't have too queue extra for the back rows!

(This would mean that the front row goes forwards,second backwards,third forwards,forth backwards,fifth forwards,sixth backwards and seventh forwards- I thought this would be quite cool :)

Whilst I like The Swarm Backwards, the novelty has already worn off for me and I hope the ride doesn't stay like that forever!

I just hope Thorpe are receiving a lot of bad feedback for the swarm backwards. I also hope that B&M are happy to send in the trains the way they were before, because seriously, most of you may agree, but if I see the swarm back to normal next year...THAT WOULD BE FRICKEN AWESOME! :D

I was going to say, they equally worked with Six Flags on one of their Batman rides to turn around some rows of their seats. It's sounds almost like an after market modification they are offering. Wouldn't say no to reversing the rear row on all the Oblivion shuttle...

Also taking into account to turn the trains round they needed to send it to B&M in the first place XD

The general view I seem to hear and read of the backwards rows is that they're good, but people prefer the forwards rows. From Thorpe's perspective, I can't see them lasting more than 2-3 seasons (so just before the next coaster) before they'd consider just going back (and no, there's not a pun there :P ).

That would also be long enough for B&M to conduct any research they may want to conduct on the backward rows (forces, stress on the trains, etc.)